Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Responses
Good evening gentlemen

Here we go again, please see the attached letter from Chris Edge (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) - (The Honours Secretary) He even sent me a copy of the ministerial statement Jan 2006. Its certainly an uphill battle - but one that we shall win.

I think we shall win, Terry.

Chris Edge essentially composed the Ministerial Statement and he has to defend it. Of course, he is quite wrong. It has been admitted that double medalling is no longer in contention (so why does he keep beating the same sad drum?) and the 5-year rule is anything but a rule. It is a tap used by these people to deny ordinary men and women a medal while they provide the privileged with numerous honours - mostly purchased, allegedly.

Thanks for posting the letter.

Barry

Post Formal Permission 
The word "formal".
I believe that this statment was written by Chris Edge and the word formal has proved to be a millstone around the neck of the FCO and they are now trying to pass it off as nothing, well they cannot do that, it is in the original statment and they are stuck with it.
That and all the other mistakes that they have made will get this ruling changed.

Post Re: Formal Permission 
Paul Alders wrote:
That and all the other mistakes that they have made will get this ruling changed.

I agree. They had to fudge an issue in order not to allow the PJM to be worn.

They produced words that are meaningless.

Even the basic twin myth objections (double-medalling and 5-years) were being written about over 10 years ago - written about in the context of being misleading statements designed only to deny ordinary people an honourable award.

Why? Because they are using up their quota handing out gongs to celebs and cricket teams.

Those who actually achieved something, like stability in SE Asia, are no longer of any account.

The result is that pensioners will have to use some of their scarce pension money to buy a train, plane or coach ticket to London to collect their PJM - the MoD won't have it delivered.

Barry

I can't recall seeing a reply from an HD Committee member before, were there others? Anyone?

Well done Terry

What I would like to know is when do we REALLY start to canvass HMG big time, before, during or after the Summer Recess in Parliament.

I have the exact same letter word for word and the same date

25TH May 2006

Dear Madam,

I am writing to you as one who completed thirty-seven years loyal crown service, first as a Royal Marine and later as a police officer.

It was during my time in the Royal Marines that I served in Borneo during the ‘Confrontation’.
As you are aware, the King of Malaysia awarded the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal (PJM) in gratitude to the sacrifices made, by not only the British, but Australian, New Zealand and other commonwealth service personnel. This award was also for the Malay ‘Emergency’, which preceded the ‘Confrontation’. Both campaigns were highly successful, but a total of 519 service personnel made the ultimate sacrifice in achieving these victories.

As head of state, you granted our Australian and New Zealand comrades unrestricted right to receive and wear the PJM, but on the advice of the Grant of Honours and Decorations (HD) committee, permission to receive the PJM was granted to the British veterans but not the right to ‘officially’ wear it.

My work now takes me to many parts of the world, including Malaysia, where I work with their security services. The question is often asked “Why do the British think our medal is not fit to wear?” and here Madam, lies the dichotomy. Having been granted the right to receive the PJM but not allowed to wear it would indicate that either: the PJM is indeed not a fit decoration for British veterans to wear, which is very insulting to the King and government of Malaysia, or alternatively, that 35,000 British veterans are not fit to wear it, which is pretty insulting to the veterans. This is truly a dreadful situation.

August will see the 40th anniversary of the cessation of hostilities in Malaysia and what a wonderful opportunity to rectify this unpleasant situation by announcing that ‘official’ permission will be granted to wear the PJM. I can assure you Madam, that in doing so, you will give so much pleasure to those who, now in their 60’s and 70’s, have served you and our country with total loyalty.

I remain your loyal subject

Robert Bryant

I received this reply yesterday,Buckingham Palace

21st July, 2006

Dear Mr Bryant,

The Queen has asked me to thank you for your letter of 25th May, and I apologise for the delay in replying. Due to the high volume of mail received in recent weeks, correspondence has been dealt with in strict date order.

Her Majesty has taken careful note of your comments regarding the wearing of your Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal.

I must tell you, however, that this is not a matter in which The Queen would intervene, and I have been instructed to send your letter to the Right Honourable Margaret Beckett, MP, the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs so that she may be aware of your approach to Her Majesty on this subject and may consider the points you raise.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs Sonia Bonici
Senior Correspondence Officer

Robert Bryant, Esq

My scanner is not working so this is an exact copy. Barry, if you want the original or photocopy for your records please let me know.

Bob Bryant

I must tell you, however, that this is not a matter in which The Queen would intervene ...

Thanks, Bob.

It seems that we are going round in circles again. The Queen intervened when she approved the recommendation. Why can't she intervene now?

This is the power of the civil servants - they can get her to sign just about anything, but they do not let her review what they've made her sign earlier.

Either that or the Queen simply does not think we're good enough for the PJM to be worn and she is intent on dividing the Commonwealth and her own British subjects. I don't think she thinks that or wants to do that - nobody thinks she does ... so it is down to the suits. You have it there in black and white.

This matter was never presented to parliament to consider - why?

Barry

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2