Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Malay Police/Fort Brooke Memories Pages Updated!
Post Malay Police/Fort Brooke Memories Pages Updated! 
Roy Follows has very kindly submitted more text and many images which we have placed on the Memories Page.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories.htm

Memories of Police Operations has been updated:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police.htm

as has the first part of the Fort Brooke Story:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke.htm

We also added a second part to the Fort Brooke Story:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke_2.htm

These pages contain many images and may take some time to load, but they are well worth the wait!

There are a few unidentified helipcopters on those pages ... help ID'ing then from our ex-RAF/RN frfiends would be welcome.

Thanks again, Roy. This section of the web site attracts considerable interest. The images are so evocative. I was often taken in and out by helicopter and as I look at those images I can hear the rotors as the helicopter approached but still hidden by the jungle ... . I am waiting to be taken out, knackered, sores, with the stink of the sweaty jungle clinging to my JGs, hungry ... that sound remains one of the most evocative of in my life.

Just to add ... life in the longhouse ... evenings on smokey verandahs ... it was such a privilege to share those days with the local people. And even though I spoke Malay and knew some of their customs and beliefs, like Roy I didn't understand at the time the significance of handing out cigarettes to the ladies! Read Roy's memories of Fort Brooke ... !

The helicopter that brought the petrol generator in ia a Dragonfly.Worked on them.

Rgds Ray

Post Re: Malay Police/Fort Brooke Memories Pages Updated! 
BarryF wrote:

There are a few unidentified helipcopters on those pages ... help ID'ing then from our ex-RAF/RN frfiends would be welcome.

The Helio photos are

Photos 1/2/4/5/6/7/8/9 are all Westland Whirlwinds Mark and Squadrons unknown, perhaps our Guru Laurie Bean from Penang can sort those out

Photos 3 and 11 are Bristol Sycamores

and photo # 10 is our old friend the Sikorsky S-51 Dragonfly

They are excellent pics Roy and just by way of interest my old Squadron 209 of Short Sunderland Flying Boats fame when reformed took ownership of Scottish Aviation Single and Twin Pioneer aircraft, here is one excellent example at The Cosford Aviation Museum in Shropshire brought to my attention by Laurie http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1031212/ These aircraft could land in minimal space in jungle clearings, in fact a curtain call of The Single Pin was to take-off ACROSS the WIDTH of a normal runway.

I'm sure some of you guys worked on/with these or even flew in them, the latter was an unforgettable experience, I can't say the same for the oil leaks though, aarrrggggghhhhh!

You have already sorted the types out, let's see if I can put some units to them:

Photo 1 - Whirlwind HAR4, possibly(?) from 155 Sqn.
Photo 2 - Whirlwind HAR4, 155 Sqn.
Photo 3 - Sycamore HR14, 194 Sqn.
Photo 4 - Whirlwinds, unknown unit.
Photo 5 - Whirlwind HAR2/4(?). This looks to be a closer view of the aircraft in Photo 4. From the colour scheme, they could be RN, 848 NAS.
Photo 6 - Whirlwind HAR4, 155 Sqn.
Photo 7 - Whirlwind HAR2 (?), 848 NAS.
Photo 8 - Whirlwind HAR4, 155 Sqn. I have been trying to read the serial on the tail boom. It looks like XD184, which was a 155 Sqn aircraft. If so, I flew in this helicopter in 1974, whilst it was on the strength of 84 Sqn at Akrotiri, Cyprus. It was displayed at the main entrance to Akrotiri in 88 when I went back there. Not sure if it still is on display.
Photo 9 - Whirlwind HAR2, 848 NAS. Could be the same aircraft as in Photo 7. Both have the code 'A' on the side.
Photo 10 - S51 Dragonfly, 194 Sqn.
Photo 11 - Sycamore, 194 Sqn.

The Whirlwinds of 155 Sqn had only recently been delivered during Sep/Oct 54, hence their 'newish' appearance.

Many thanks to Roy for supplying these photos. They certainly provide a rare insight into jungle ops by these units. And, having read Roy's book, 'Jungle Beat', I can recomend it to anyone as a very good read.

More please, Roy!

Your Memories and Mr Follows' story and the photographs that accompany it are the first insight for me into what my husband was involved. I am very grateful to everyone for sharing their memories with those of us who did not go to Malaya but for whom Malaya is a part our lives forever.

Welcome to the Forum Mrs Hope....and thank you for your post...we are grateful for your support.

Post Re: Malay Police/Fort Brooke Memories Pages Updated! 
John Cooper wrote:

The Helio photos are ...

John,

Many thanks for all your help. I have added the ID's to the Fort Brooke II page at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke_2.htm.

Any chance of you having time to look at the Malaya Police and Fort Brooke I pages to ID some more aircraft? Very Happy

Barry

John's mention of The Single Pioneer reminded me of a Master Pilot who I became friendly with in the No 1 Mess in Seletar in 1964. He used to fly that aircraft. I knew him as Ted but for the life of me I can't remember his surname, but I expect somebody will know who I mean. Great memories, Ken

John C,

You have already sorted the types out, let's see if I can put some units to them:

Laurie,

What can I say! You did that alright! We are very grateful to you.

Those of us who were simply either supplied or ferried around in those kapal terbang dengan kipas de-atas didn't pay much heed to the aircraft. We were just grateful when they turned up!

I have placed your comments on the Fort Brooke II page at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke_2.htm.

And I've also added yours and John's Footnotes to that same page.

All the best,

Barry

PS Any chance of an ID or two for the Police and Fort Brooke I pages when you have a mo'? Smile

Just saw your request to John C regarding IDs of helicopters/aircraft in the Malaya Police and Fort Brooke I pages. Let's see if I can help.

Malaya Police page:

Both helicopters on this page are Whirlwind HAR2/4s. The first appears to be an RAF aircraft (155 Sqn(?)), whereas the second is RN (848 NAS).

The aircraft involved in the air drop is a Vickers Valetta, of either 48, 52 or 110 Sqns, RAF.

Fort Brooke I page:

All the helicopters featured on this page are S51 Dragonflys of 194 Sqn, RAF.

Hope that helps.

Laurie.

Last edited by LaurieB on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Another helicopter 
We used to try and get as much practise as possible with our free-fall parachuting. We often did this from helicopters from the 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade at Terendak Garrison, Malacca.

Is there any way of telling where this helicopter came from - or anything about it at all? I'll have a look in my log book to check how many times I jumped out of one of this make of helicopter, but I bet it was in excess of 30 times during my time in the Far East. I preferred fixed winged aircraft - "Boats with a fan on the top" do not overly encourage confidence!

Thanks,

Barry

Your Memories and Mr Follows' story and the photographs that accompany it are the first insight for me into what my husband was involved. I am very grateful to everyone for sharing their memories with those of us who did not go to Malaya but for whom Malaya is a part our lives forever.

Thank you for those comments, Mrs Hope. It is very pleasing to all those who contribute their memories when others find their reminiscences and images of interest. For many who married after their return from Malaysia, this is the only way their spouses get any idea of what webt on out there.

We hope to publish more memories soon.

Further to my comments on Whirlwind XD184 above, I have found this photo on Airliners.net.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1039475/M/

Seems it might still be at Akrotiri.

Barry/Roy, are you able to read the serial any clearer on your prints? I would be interested in knowing if it is the same helicopter.

Laurie.

Post Memories pages updated 18/12/2006 
Thanks to John Cooper's and Laurie Bean's stunning knowledge about helicopters, they have been able to identify many of the aircraft in Roy's Fort Brooke story.

We have updated:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police.htm

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke.htm

Check them out - the story and images are brilliant!

Post Re: Another helicopter 
BarryF wrote:
We used to try and get as much practise as possible with our free-fall parachuting. We often did this from helicopters from the 28th Commonwealth Infantry Brigade at Terendak Garrison, Malacca.

Is there any way of telling where this helicopter came from - or anything about it at all? I'll have a look in my log book to check how many times I jumped out of one of this make of helicopter, but I bet it was in excess of 30 times during my time in the Far East. I preferred fixed winged aircraft - "Boats with a fan on the top" do not overly encourage confidence!

Thanks,

Barry

Barry,

The helicopter in your photos is a Westland Scout AH1. From my time at Terendak (March 67 to April 6Cool, I seem to recall that the AAC Sqn had around 6 of these machines and a couple of Souixs (spelling) as well.

I spent many an evening during the summer of 67 watching you guys hurl yourselves from the helicopters, thinking what nutters you were. Laughing

Here's a photo the I took of one of the Scouts at Terendak on 9 April 1968:

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next