Post UPDATE ON THE WEARING OF THE PJM 
09 August 2007

Honours Secretariat
Protocol Directorate
Old Admiralty Building
London SW1A 2PA

Tel: 0207 008 1027

E-mail: tanya.collingridge@fco.gov.uk

Letter sent to a number of veteran association secretaries involved with the PJM medal. http://www.veterans-uk.info/medals/pingat.html

Dear Mr Secretary

UPDATE ON THE WEARING OF THE PJM

In response to a request from the HD Committee, I am pleased to inform you that The Queen has given her permission for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal to be worn by veterans during the main independence celebrations in Malaysia. The relevant period covered by this permission is 15 August 2007 to 9 September 2007.

I am copying this letter to other interested parties, and would be grateful if you would disseminate this information further, in particular to those veterans who are travelling to Malaysia later this month.

Yours sincerely,

Tanya Collingridge

Tanya Collingridge
Honours Secretary

Last edited by MB_Veteran on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:16 am; edited 4 times in total

That does not appear to be good news, this means that The Queen is fully up to speed with events and my allegiance to Her is truly fully broken, why on Earth have the suits recommended this at this point in time! Mad

I agree I find it strange if not condecending Imperial minded nonsense indeed. But what better do we expect from the UK HD committe of 2007. The clause in the Ministerial Statement against non wearing of the PJM medal only effects the wearing of the PJM medal in the UK. All other countries have their own medal wearing rules and the UK HD committee has no authority over other countries rules to begin with.

Last edited by MB_Veteran on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

I see this as a deliberate act to thank the Malaysian Govt for their generous offer of the PJM from The UK Govt, but at the same time kicking us guys below the beltline, they (HMG) have been very clever in their timing to take a sting out of the tail of Vets showing discourtesy to HMQ plus at the same time as saying 'What good guys we are in the bending of the rules'

It won't WASH!

NS

I see this as a deliberate act to thank the Malaysian Govt for their generous offer of the PJM from The UK Govt, but at the same time kicking us guys below the beltline, they (HMG) have been very clever in their timing to take a sting out of the tail of Vets showing discourtesy to HMQ plus at the same time as saying 'What good guys we are in the bending of the rules'

It won't WASH!

John,

Don't you think that they have just blown all their arguments on why you cannot wear the PJM clean out of the water when they say it can be worn, even for a limited period. They are now confirming that the PJM can be worn and all the double medal, long standing principles, five year rule, and cannot be worn if a British medal for the same campaign has been awarded etc. arguments are now defunct and useless.

The Queen has agreed that the PJM is an honourable award which should be displayed during the period stated - NOT JUST on Merdeka Day 31st. August, 2007. She has confirmed that it is an honourable award capable of being worn.

So where does that leave them if they say later that the PJM cannot be worn. Talk about painting themselves into a corner. As the say in Scotland 'their bum is oot the windae'.

Exactly McD, what a bunch of pirrocks! Anyone else care to read into a new episode of Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

NS

Interested in knowing how you obtained said information as I haven't seen anything myself officially on this, was it via snail mail, email or what, if so was there a headed paper to the missive? Confused

Exactly McD, what a bunch of pirrocks! Anyone else care to read into a new episode of Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

NS

Interested in knowing how you obtained said information as I haven't seen anything myself officially on this, was it via snail mail, email or what, if so was there a headed paper to the missive? Confused

John & others

The letter was posted on to me by e.mail by a veteran who is going to Malaysia this month. Notice what is written from Tanya Collingridge:

" I am copying this letter to other interested parties, and would be grateful if you would disseminate this information further, in particular to those veterans who are travelling to Malaysia later this month."

If you are doubtful about it being genuine then why not contact Tanya for confirmation. E-mail: tanya.collingridge@fco.gov.uk

Last edited by MB_Veteran on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Update on wearing the PJM 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

denis.brennan@cabinet-office.x.gsi.gov.uk
peter.ricketts@fco.gov.uk
Bill.Jeffrey480@mod.uk

If The Queen has given her permission for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal to be worn by veterans during the main independence celebrations in Malaysia the HD committee could go one step further and to do the honourable thing and advise HM The Queen to give veterans permission to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia at the cenotaph in London and other veterans remembrance parades through out United Kingdom on 11 November 2007.

Then veterans from NMBVA can fulfill one of their Aims and Objectives of their association.

3: To remember with pride, respect and gratitude those of all nationalities who made the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty and to ensure that those who fell and that the Association is represented on the day of Remembrance at Home and Abroad.

Yours sincerely

Malay Borneo Veteran
Name & Address supplied

MB wrote:
Have read all messages on both this site and at NMBVA. With respect to all your opinions I can not get excited about this. Here on the F4 site we have only one objective.... permission to wear the medal so graciously awarded on ALL appropriate occasions in our own country and for all time.

When the HD Committee first produced it's anomalous 'You are permitted to receive, but not wear it' decision I, charitably, assumed that it represented nothing more than a simple error in judgement...a mistake.

Later, having been exposed to two years worth of double speak and bafflegab thrown up as a smokescreen by civil servants to rationalize that idiotic decision, I assumed that it was more than an error...it was indeed, a vengeful act of spite.

But now that I am made aware of the latest HD 'band-aid' applied to this festering sore of inequity...the 'You may wear it when it might embarrass us if you didn't, but not at any other time' ruling....I am now starting to reconsider the whole thing in terms of mental instability!

Post Update on HDCommittee obfuscation, etc. 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike....probably my fault, but you appear to have misunderstood me....it wasn't MY mental stability that I was expressing concern about.......

Post PJM 
Stuff that for a game of soldiers!I'm wearng my PJM on 1st Sept at my Regiment's doomsday Parade (Regimental Merger Day),then at my Regimental Association Annual reunion,then whilst selling poppys,and then on Rememberance day Parade in STOCKPORT!!

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

You have spent two years shoring up your argument that under no circumstances should a medal like the PJM be worn.

You have gone to extreme lengths (allegedly), broken every precedent in the book(allegedly), just to allow the medal to be received (allegedly). Wow! That's impressive!

And you have told us to tug our forelocks and be grateful to you for what you have done for us by going to such lengths. Gee ... thanks, guys.

But, suddenly, all that bites the dust.

The PJM is wearable! Yippee! If we have the means, and the time, and are mobile enough to be in Malaysia for a few days this summer, we can wear our PJM. Yippee!

We can pay for it to be mounted. Yippee! So long as we pay for it to be unmounted before we return to the UK because ... don't dare try and wear it here!

Or anywhere else for that matter. At any time for any matter.

For example - we mustn't try and wear it on Remembrance Day! That's a quite different kettle of fish. We may feel a sense of honour as we remember. We may feel pride in what we achieved in those foreign fields. And we can't have any of that, can we!

What troubles me is that you have had to use the Queen to vent your own deceitful prejudices upon us.

But in placing the PJM in a "Restricted" class you have reinforced that it does indeed fall under the 1968 London Gazette (you'll know better than me how many times the 1968 explanation refers to overcoming "Restricted" problems). Perhaps that's why you say we should be grateful to you. So, thanks, guys. "Guys" that I'll remember on November the Fifth .... sorry, November the Eleventh.

So, thanks again - for blowing your own arguments to pieces. You have at last shown to the world what a sham and shambles you have been manipulating and creating for two years.

Monty Python ... where are you?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next