Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
More support from Malaysia for the PJM and Fight4thePJM
Post More support from Malaysia for the PJM and Fight4thePJM 
Herewith the latest (Sunday 24th August 2008) article from Malaysia in support of the PJM and Fight4thePJM.

Our case remains in the public domain (unlike the machinations of the suits) and, despite the not entirely correct quotes of you-know-who, the message is clear to all. Our elected representatives will one day ensure that the dark recesses of the Foreign Decorations Rules and the confusing and conflicting antics of the civil servants who administer the system and bring shame on this country, on our veterans, and on Malaysia, are opened up to scrutiny.

Our thanks to The Star and to Mr Choi Tuck Wo for staying with us while we continue to fight for justice.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/8/24/focus/22143828&sec=focus

Barry

PS The readership of this newspaper is now 1,015,000 (which compares very favourably with the New Straits Times - 270,000).

Post More Support from Malaysia. 
Well done Barry.

I know you have been working hard with the band of brothers to obtain a just solution to this shameful non-wear rule.

Perhaps, in the not too distant future a new broom in our political and civil service establishment will sweep the HD Committee right out of the door and replace them with a modern, intelligent system which favours democracy, fairness, and transparency, and leaves no place in our democracy for those who treat British citizens with such contempt and injustice.

Last edited by mcdangle on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post My thanks to The Star, Choi Tuck Wo, and to Fight4thePJM 
Barry, thanks for pointing me to the article in Malaysia. It is brilliant that Malaysia is "staying with us" and publicising the progress of our campaign.

It is high time that the 'system' was made open to scrutiny because you and I and the world know that the civil servants have misled everyone and are unwilling to debate the matter in public which, as Choi Tuck Wo suggests, is the only acceptable next step. But they won't, of course, because their jobs would be on the line (some hope!).

I hope mcdangle is right and that the whole system is soon replaced by a more consistent regime. Scrutiny by MPs would ensure that the civil servants are more attentive to the truth! It would make them accountable and they won't like that one little bit.

Congratulations and thanks for having achieved so much already to all the leaders of the Fight4thePJM for continuing this just campaign on behalf of British ex-servicemen and women.

Kev

Brilliant Barry and thanks to Mr choi for his well prepared article, perhaps someone in the High Commission in KL will bring this to the attention of The Mandarins in Whitehall.

Onwards and Upwards..............

My thanks to Barry and Mr Choi - not forgetting The Star.

Another nail in the coffin. Soon, it will be time to bury it.

My thanks too, to Barry, Choi Tuck Wo and The Star. What a terrific article.

Roll on October the 17th.

Kuching.
Post Well done Fight4thePJM, Mr Choi, and The Star 
I would like to add my thanks to the Fight4thePJM campaign for all that they have achieved for me and my fellow British Malaya-Borneo veterans. I have been reflecting on the scope of that achievement. I have time for that reflection nowadays but am not yet extinct!

They campaigned for a just recommendation and, when the British were treated with such contempt and were told that their service and the PJM were not up to standard, they proved that the PJM recommendation was, to say the least, faulted. They showed how civil servants had misled Parliament and the People and MPs went further and said in the Commons that the civil servants brought shame on this country. Fight4thePJM and their members and supporters obtained virtually 100% support in the Commons for the recommendation to be overturned with that support being demonstrated through the EDMs with a few hundred signatures on them.

They then turned up the London Gazette notice which I see a Defence Minister has agreed is just one reason why the Pingat Jasa Malaysia can be worn on formal occasions.

They obtained Ian Pearson's support and he now wants "an end to this official nonsense" and he should know because he was the Foreign Office Minister who signed the shameful PJM recommendation in the first place.

We were all further encouraged when John Ireland put his motion to the national RBL conference and won unanimous support. Then there was Mcdangle's petition to the Scottish Parliament which received such stunning backing from MSPs.

Then there is the Rt Hon Don Touhig MP, ex-Defence Minister. He has fought for us and obtained 100% backing for the Foreign Decorations Rules to be brought under Parliamentary scrutiny. This does not mean that confidentiality cannot be respected. It simply means that the civil servants, responsible for making and implementing regulations that have such an impact on the lives of ordinary men and women, become accountable for their actions for the first time. This is how it must be in today’s society.

Mr Choi is right. Things have changed and will continue to change. And not a day too soon for me.

What a excellent article from Choi Tuk Wo .

Beautifully summed up.

Kuching.
We also have the support of the Veterans Minister Derek Twigg following our meeting on the 23rd April 2008 at the MoD.

Post Uplifting and Inspiring 
I thought that article just about summed it up. Watching ageing veterans fighting for their rights and those of others has been an inspiration. Witnessing selflessness in the David and Goliath fight has been uplifting.

I think people like Sandra Gidley are also worth a mention in despatches. She has plugged away in pursuit of justice for British citizens. Compare Sandra's efforts with those of the discredited Meg Munn who is unwilling to listen because she wants the easy life and doesn't have an opinion unless it's been given to her by the faceless civil servants who created this problem, even when thousands of ordinary people ask her to do so. The difference? It's not that one is with us and the other agin us. It is that one gave us a fair hearing and the other turned a deaf ear.

I would like to add a vote of thanks to the men and women around the world who do not need to support us British, but do. Particularly those who live in Commonwealth countries who have the right to wear the PJM but believe passionately that the British are also entitled to have their right to wear their medal publicly acknowledged.

The regime will change and that is down to all those those around the world who support the Fight4thePJM.

Post And from Mr Choi himself ... 
I have just received this message from Mr Choi:

Hi Mr Barry,

Thanks for your generous feedback on my article.

I've attached a pdf file of the actual article (the hard-copy version) which appeared in The Star newspaper in Malaysia yesterday (Sunday, Aug 24). You may wish to link it to your website for a better read of an actual Malaysian newspaper.

It's always a pleasure to write about your gallant fight for justice, honour & fairness - the very principles which must be upheld by everyone - whether in Britain, Malaysia or anywhere in the world.

And do keep me posted should there be further new developments about your campaign, especially the fundamental changes within the British Honours System.

Cheers...

(Choi Tuck Wo)

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/The_Star_240808.pdf

Having been in Oz for many years, I had quite forgotten how blindly bureaucratic the public service in UK can be, as a consequence I have been quietly following this fight for a couple of years now and watching the intense commitment and persistance of you all in tackling the "faceless" bureaucrats and the spineless politicians (with a few exceptions) in their seat of power has made me intensely proud to be a small part of your group, I havent had much to add over the years, however, I have now felt the need to comment on this brilliant heartfelt article from a representative of a Country that understandably feels slighted over this rediculous and pointless ban. In my humble opinion this article should be distributed to all National and Commonwealth news media so as to further embarass the Public servants in their lair.

I understand that the Labour Govt is so far 'on the nose" of the voting public that any further embarassment, especially from a Commonwealth friend and ally would be taken very seriously.

Thank you Mr. Choi and to all the members of the Fight4thePJM group - more power to you all.....

Kind regards,

Peter

The Malaysians minted the PJM, they awarded that medal to us, therefore it is our medal, no politician/civil servant anywhere is ever going to tell me what and when I can wear something that belongs to me Evil or Very Mad

Kuching.
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next