Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Want to ask Mrs Beckett a question? Now's your chance!
Post Want to ask Mrs Beckett a question? Now's your chance! 
On the 21st February Mrs Beckett will be online to answer your questions in the context of the FCO Policy Review that she has promised.

Her web site says:

"The Foreign Secretary will appear from 1045 GMT [Wednesday, 21st February] for about an hour on the theme of Britain and the World.

Pose your question here (link below).

The UK faces global challenges - revitalising the global agenda on poverty, climate change, trade and the Middle East are vital in an interconnected world.

From international terrorism, the threats of climate change, pressure on natural resources and killer diseases, the risk of nuclear proliferation, to protectionism and poverty Britain needs to continue to play a leading role with its allies in a global response, working within reformed, effective, multilateral organisations."

Well, I can think of a few questions to ask her! Why not pose your question and place a copy here. The process is simple and quick. Do not forget to mention your country of residence ... let's show her our support is worldwide.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page10958.asp

Post Re: Want to ask Mrs Beckett a question? Now's your chance! 
BarryF wrote:
On the 21st February Mrs Beckett will be online to answer your questions in the context of the FCO Policy Review that she has promised.

Her web site says:

"The Foreign Secretary will appear from 1045 GMT [Wednesday, 21st February] for about an hour on the theme of Britain and the World.

Pose your question here (link below).

The UK faces global challenges - revitalising the global agenda on poverty, climate change, trade and the Middle East are vital in an interconnected world.

From international terrorism, the threats of climate change, pressure on natural resources and killer diseases, the risk of nuclear proliferation, to protectionism and poverty Britain needs to continue to play a leading role with its allies in a global response, working within reformed, effective, multilateral organisations."

Well, I can think of a few questions to ask her! Why not pose your question and place a copy here. The process is simple and quick. Do not forget to mention your country of residence ... let's show her our support is worldwide.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page10958.asp

Have you asked a question?

If not, please do so. This is your chance to ask the Foreign Secretary whether she will review one policy that affects the PJM. It would eb a simple an no-cost policy review taht will have positive and global effects.

Go to http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page10958.asp[/quote] now. It's a simple procedure. Even if we do not get a quetsion raised we shall have recorded yet again that the FCO has had the chance to address this ludicrous situation.

Mrs Beckett

Good morning, I myself have been awarded a Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal from The King and people of Malaysia, why is it I am not permitted to wear it and who signed the directive with his/her own hand from doing so.

Thanks in anticipation
John Cooper
Suffolk

Post My Question to Mrs Beckett 
The preamble to this discussion on a Foreign Office policy review clearly underlines the dangers in our world and the need to develop international cooperation. Yet this country’s imperial legacy continues to distance us from those countries that can provide the support and cooperation that is needed. Current FCO policy decisions also divide the Commonwealth.

One example of this is the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, a medal offered to Commonwealth citizens by Malaysia for protecting its new independence. The Queen has allowed Australians and New Zealanders to receive and wear the medal, but Mrs Beckett’s office (via the Honours and Decorations Committee) has invoked rules within the Imperial Honours System to prevent British citizens wearing their award.

My Question: Will Mrs Beckett review this ludicrous and divisive policy and arrange for the Queen to be advised to allow Britons to wear the medal?

That one, very simple, policy change will remedy the snub to the Malaysian people and 35,000 British citizens and, and a more global note, will demonstrate that the UK is not clinging on to out-dated imperial values but has moved into the 21st century along with the Commonwealth and the rest of the world.

Footnote: The Queen’s office has asked the Foreign Office to consider the position (letter dated 3 July 2006). The majority of MPs want her to review this policy decision (nearly 400 signatures on EDMs). The Scottish Parliament (Public Petitions Committee) has questioned the ludicrous policy which sends the wrong signals to the world.

In June 2006 a petition regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM) was presented to HM the Queen on HM instructions this petition was forwarded to you Margaret Bectett at no time have I or anyone else for that matter have had confirmation that you have received it. Did you?
Have you read this petition and have you acted upon it?

Any fair-minded person, provided with the facts of the case of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, could not fail to come to the conclusion that the decision by the HD Committee regarding denial of formal permission to wear this medal was taken in error. In short, the HD Committee simply made a poor judgment, a regrettable mistake, which has subsequently been exacerbated by a positive deluge of obfuscatory prose and a plethora of disingenuous statements, by public servants and elected officials alike.

My belief is that it is now time for the Government to accept ownership and rectify this injustice by encouraging an amendment to the recommendation and to the Ministerial Statement - and further, to make the case to members of the HD Committee, via them to the Queen, for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia to be worn by qualified British citizens.

What possible harm can the accepting and wearing of the PJM do to the Imperial Honours System and what possible harm can it do to permit ageing veterans the right to wear their medal with pride?

Yours sincerely,

'Jock' Fenton

Perhaps we ought to invite Ms Beckett to reply to us directly on here..............

I forgot to take a copy of my message to Beckett. I did however point out that the majority of Royal Navy veterans never received a British medal and the PJM was the only medal they received so why can't they wear it.

HMG is still peddling the double medaling and 5 year rule lies. It is important that these issues be attacked.

Hamish

Post Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary. 
I have sent the following to The Caravan Club Secretary:-

'Will the Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary take into consideration in the FCO Policy Review, the present unsatisfactory system on Foreign and Commonwealth Decorations, Awards and Medals, which permits our Queen to give permission to Commonwealth Countries, like Australia and New Zealand, to accept and wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, but refuses to allow British Citizens to wear this medal, a policy which causes embarrassment to a Commonwealth country, and divides the Commonwealth'.

Post Josh White expresses an opinion 
Herewith Josh White's submission, posted with his permission:

Mrs Beckett highlights the need for new policy and policy changes particularly regarding the building of international relations to fight the growing threat from terrorism. Will she demonstrate her determination to drive the UK forward by changing the policy decision that prevents British citizens from wearing an award from a Commonwealth country. I refer to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia awarded by Malaysia in 2004 to Commonwealth forces. If the Queen of Australia can approve it, and the Queen of New Zealand can approve it, why won't the Foreign Office advise the Queen of our country to approve its wear? The current recommendation implies that the UK sees the Malaysian award as something less than an honour in that it cannot be worn.

The Commonwealth forces all gave the same service to Malaysia so if Mrs Beckett really does believe in the role of the Commonwealth in fighting terrorism and aggression, will she tell her civil servants (who are currently blocking this) to review and change the Foreign Office policy decision and advise the Queen to allow the British to wear their medal?

If she does not take that one simple step, which will cost this country nothing, she will be sending the wrong signals to the world because she will be being instrumental in preserving the current, discredited, outdated, Imperial Honours System and thus dividing the Commonwealth.

Josh White

I just wonder whether or not we will be totally ignored, we have so far since she took office. I reckon the Spin Doctors will reply to those that are asking suitable questions on how well her department is doing. Perhaps I am being too cynical with these 'openness question and answer sessions' from Downing Street, we must give them a chance who knows she might even make a 'review' announcement on air but then again I have heard ducks phart before!

Post Mrs Beckett 
My simple "Broadside"
Why have you not answered my Letter of Four months ago... and why have you and yours allowed my acceptance the "PJM" from the King and People of Malaysia and then stated that I cannot wear it" ???.
(I thought I would keep it simple).....
Terry Ex R.N. Borneo 1963 - 1965.

AS MADAM BECKETT HAS HAD PLENTY OF TIME IN HER PRESENT OFFICE TO HAVE RESPONDED,TO THE MANY QUERIES REGARDING PJM,MAYBE WE SHOULD ASK HER ABOUT SOMETHING SHE DOES KNOW AND CARE ABOUT ,MAYBE THE MAX TOWING WEIGHT OF HER RANGE ROVER,AND THE RECOMMENDED NOSEWEIGHT.

Mrs Beckett, this county that used to be called GREAT Britain has very few friends left so why does this government and civil servants have to insult one of the few we have by refusing to give Malay/Borneo veterans the right to wear the PJM Medal so graciously awarded to them by the King and government of Malaysia.

I have just visited the website on the link above to pose my question to Mrs Beckett. This is what I found:

"21 February 2007

We are very sorry but our webchat with Margaret Beckett, due this morning, has been postponed.

The Foreign Secretary has been called away on important parliamentary business on Wednesday which clashes with the time slot we had.

Many thanks for all your questions. We will hold on to them. We hope to have a new date for the webchat soon.

Sorry for any disappointment
."

Important parliamentary business?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next