Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Medal that must not be worn
Post Medal that must not be worn 
Medal that must not be worn
Aug 30 2007

By Alex Turner, Runcorn Weekly News

AN Army veteran from Runcorn who received a medal for 'the meritorious acts and supreme sacrifices' he made more than 40 years ago has been told that he is not allowed to wear it.

Christopher Threlfall, of The Knoll, Palacefields, received the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal at a presentation ceremony in Stockport alongside more than 200 former soldiers.

But the medal can only be worn in very limited circumstances - between August 15 and September 9, during the main independence celebrations in Malaysia.

Malaysia became an independent country 50 years ago tomorrow, on August 31, 1957.

Permission to wear the medal at any other time, including Remembrance services and other military parades, will not be given.

Mr Threlfall said: 'I think it's unfair that the British Government said we can't wear it because it is a foreign medal.

'No-one is going to stop me wearing it.'

A Foreign Office spokesman said: 'It is long standing Government policy that non-British medals will not be approved for events or service that took place more than five years before initial consideration or in connection with events that took place in the distant past, or if the recipient has received a British award for the same service.'

Mr Threlfall said: 'I joined the Army in 1959 when I was 17.

'My first overseas posting was to Malaya in 1962 and there were riots in Singapore when we first arrived.

'We were basically a radar section but we also had to go out in the jungle on patrol.'

He said: 'It was one continuous stint from 1962-65.

'The years in the army were the best years of my life

http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=medal-that-must-not-be-worn&method=full&objectid=19711118&siteid=50020-name_page.html

See also...

http://tinyurl.com/2f6h6w

I hope this turns out OK.

This was published yesterday in the 'Runcorn Weekly News' >>>>

The presentation is at 1430 and I intended to be there (wearing my PJM ribbon & PJM pin) to find out what decoration/badges he is giving away.
If it is "his placebo", the Vetrans Medal, he is looking for good press and votes to feather his nest.

I have spoken to the Paper concerned regarding this presentation and the PJM and they have asked me to drop by on Monday. I WILL BE there. I have passed on to them the link for this site.

Phredd (will post pics if I can get some)

Well done Phredd try and get a photo of you and Derek Twigg togeather you wearing your PJM of course.

John

A rumble from the jungle for Twiggy. (apologies to the real Twiggy)

Kuching.
Well I was hopping to bring good news but sad to say it is not. Crying or Very sad

Went over to Halton BC office to see if I could have a word with our friend Derek Twigg MP but it was not to be.
Tried to get into the presentation but was told as I did not have an invite I did not have a chance.

I only managed to get about three pics but even they are not much to look at.

The presentation was for the Veterans Badge. This was defo a "Look at what I am doing for the veterans of this country".

Now to the pics >>>>

Pics one and two need no explanation. He is a very proud man. I could not get close enough to have a chat with him.

The third and fourth pics are those of the Lord Mayor and our ?friend? going in by the back door while we were kept at the front. I had an idea they might pull that trick.

Just in case you may want to see me Laughing >>>

Phredd = wish I could have done better Crying or Very sad

ps = I will get the hang of this ImageShack one day

Post Medal that must not be worn 
Phredd,

Well done, a damn good try. To see an enlargement of the 'thumbnail's, right click on thumnail of choice, left click on 'open link', OR just left click on thumbnail and hey presto!

Again, good try,

Regards,

David

Yeah Phredd, good try right enough.....but don't forget to keep your 'beady little' open for reports of this presentation in the local press....they might provide us with some opportunity to get some 'Letters to the Editor' in on the topic.

"owen lawrence"]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/04/nhonours104.xml

In this article Mr Brown is quoted as saying:

Quote:
"But I think that everything that we do will be to honour the memory of those who have made big sacrifices."

How regrettable that he is not apparently capable of applying that very principle to the thousands of participants in the Malaya/ Borneo conflicts....men who actually WON the only victory over terrorist insurgency yet recorded....many of whom who did so, not as skilled, professional soldiers, but as green conscripts who 'learned the soldiering trade' by osmosis and 'on the job training'....and a steep learning curve it was!...Some risked their fledgling careers...some sacrificed their health...and others their very lives.

Now those same men are expected to accept the admonition that to wear the PJM given to them by a grateful Malaysian nation would insult the 'Imperial Honour's System'.

Mr Brown....talk is cheap!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/04/nhonours104.xml

Is this not double medaling, much as our lads deserve it, or is our 'leader' mellowing or just pontificating again.

Plus I'm showing off after you lot showed me how to cut and paste.

Owen

Hi Owen,

I doubt that Gordon "I'll look into it" Brown is mellowing. In my apolitical and unbiased view (!) he has been told that his promotion of this idea may recover some of the lost ground in the polls that has resulted from his raid on our pensions, his no-tax-rises tax rises, his politicking over an election and then his respect-losing bottling-out of an election.

So long as those who place their lives on the line are acknowledged, then I'm all for it.

But I would have thought that the present system of bravery awards can address this goal - why single out and highlight 'terrorism'? Other than for political gain, of course. Identifying a need to specifically acknowledge acts of bravery in the context of terrorism seems to me to be one step towards throwing in the towel.

I think Brown is politicking.

My last thought on this is that I very much hope few such decorations need to be awarded.

Barry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/04/nhonours104.xml

Is this not double medaling, much as our lads deserve it, or is our 'leader' mellowing or just pontificating again.

Plus I'm showing off after you lot showed me how to cut and paste.

Owen

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

I was out yesterday in the local shopping precinct with the RBL doing my bit with poppies.
    I wore on my jaket left lapel:- from top to bottom..
    My PJM Ribbon
    My PJM Pin
    My Vets Badge.

I am out again on Monday so the word will go further.
    Most of the elder people recognised the Badge but many wanted to know what the Ribbon & the Pin was for.
    In the short time I had I tried to explain what the PJM was. Some had heard of it and others wanted to know.
    I am now in the process of scanning the card that you sent my Pin on. Anyone that asks will get one of them.

Phredd

That is absolutely brilliant, Phredd!

Wonderful support for the RBL ... and staunch support for British veterans.

Thank you.

Barry

Post Re: Halesowen news 
StanW wrote:

Post your comments to:

http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/search/display.var.1793285.0.vet_fights_to_wear_medal.php

..................In response to Stan's call, the 'comment's on this article are starting to appear...click on the link and read them for yourself....let's see if we can add a few more to the total eh? The more comment we generate, the more interest the papers will take.

Thank you for that. Your words are better than mine.

I was out yesterday in the local shopping precinct with the RBL doing my bit with poppies.
    I wore on my jaket left lapel:- from top to bottom..
    My PJM Ribbon
    My PJM Pin
    My Vets Badge.

I am out again on Monday so the word will go further.
    Most of the elder people recognised the Badge but many wanted to know what the Ribbon & the Pin was for.
    In the short time I had I tried to explain what the PJM was. Some had heard of it and others wanted to know.
    I am now in the process of scanning the card that you sent my Pin on. Anyone that asks will get one of them.

Phredd

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next