Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
DON's DEBATE!! PARLIAMENT TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER!
Post DON's DEBATE!! PARLIAMENT TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER! 
Don Touhig, true to his word, has won a debate in the Commons - a debate about the Malaysian Veterans' Campaign and the PJM.

It is to be held next Tuesday, the 11th December, at 11.00am.

If you do nothing else today, please tell all your contacts but, above all, please email and telephone your MP at his Commons Office and at his Conctituency Office.

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/members/mps_contact.cfm

For constituency telephone numbers and addresses, simply type your MPs name into the search engine e.g. www.google.co.uk

This is a major advance for our cause. The last time this happened was when MPs were trying to reverse the decision not to grant a Suez Canal Zone Medal.

I know everyone is busy at this time of year, but will you be able to lend your support to British veterans on this important occasion and spread the word? If you are UK-based, could you in particualr contact your MP by email or telephone (at the Commons and his or her local constituency) and ask them to support British veterans in this critical debate?

Don Touhig has only 90 minutes and so we have sent him a brief on the current PJM position. It is long, but it covers the main points. You can read and download the brief from here:

PDF: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Brief_for_11Dec_Debate.pdf

Word: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Brief_for_11Dec_Debate.doc

Tell your MP that the world will be watching 'Live!" next Tuesday ... from Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Vietnam, across Europe (France, Spain, Italy, Germany etc), from the USA ... and, of course, from Nepal.

Thank you very much form your support.

Barry

Post Watch it! On the Tele, I mean! 
BBC broadcasts from Westminster 24hours online.

You can view on your PC from here (I think!) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/bbc_parliament/default.stm.

During the main afternoon debates, I see there is a debate on the impartiality of civil servants!

But, for us, why not look in at 11.00 am next Tuesday?

Thanks,

Barry

Barry., Keep your fingers crossed mate, this could be the last big push I really do hope so!! Regards Rob...

Barry., Keep your fingers crossed mate, this could be the last big push I really do hope so!! Regards Rob...

Rob,

It will be down to Don. He has been a magnificent supporter of British veterans, which is probably why he doesn't hold the Veterans Minister's post any more!

If we can raise the profile of the PJM issue then it will all have been worthwhile and PJMers worldwide will feel they have achieved something.

My thanks to you because your role as a supporter through thick and thin, and being one of Don's constituents whom you have lobbied through thick and thin, has been critical.

Barry

This is great news mate. Well done to you and your crew.
It would be a nice Christmas present.

I have once again sent an e-mail to Mike Hall (my MP) and asked him for his support.
One can now only hope and pray.

Thanks again

Fred

Great news. Have contacted my MP requesting his support .
Thanks
Roy.

I too have sent an email to my local MP (David Tredinnick) asking for his support on Tuesday.

I too have sent an email to my local MP (David Tredinnick) asking for his support on Tuesday.

Thanks, Redcapfred. Mr Tredinnick has been a great supporter of British veterans and PJMers in particular,and he signd EDMs in support.

I have once again sent an e-mail to Mike Hall (my MP) and asked him for his support. One can now only hope and pray.

Thanks Fred, Mike Hall hasn't signed an EDM but,as you say, we can but hope ...

Post Sally Keeble 
Phone call to Constituency Office and email to her@parliament. She is away on Parliamentary duty abroad next week but I've requested her to contact Don Touhig and emphasise her support for our cause, which I am assured will continue, before she goes.

Post Re: Sally Keeble 
GLOman wrote:
Phone call to Constituency Office and email to her@parliament. She is away on Parliamentary duty abroad next week but I've requested her to contact Don Touhig and emphasise her support for our cause, which I am assured will continue, before she goes.

David, Thanks for you continuing support. Today I sent personal emails to the 219 MPs who signed EDMs supporting us and I have received some very supportive responses. Many MPs are away next week including, as you point out, Sally Keeble. She had signed an EDM and so I emailed her. She sent a one-liner saying she was away:

= = = = = = = = = = =

-----Original Message-----
To: Sally Keeble, "pjm_edm_supporters@fight4thepjm.org" <pjm_edm_supporters@fight4thepjm.org>
Sent: 07/12/07 18:30
Subject: URGENT: Malaysian Veterans Campaign - Debate 11.00am, 11th December

Dear Sally Keeble,

In the past you have kindly signed EDMs in respect of support for British veterans who are seeking permission to wear the Malaysian Pingat Jasa Malaysia - following the imposition of incongruous rules by civil servants British veterans have been forbidden to wear their honourable medal whilst The Queen has said the rest of the Commonwealth can wear theirs.

This is a cross party issue and the EDMs were signed by members of all parties.

The Rt Hon Don Touhig, Defence (Veterans Affairs) Minister at the time of the PJM decision, and the other key minister at the time, the Rt Hon Ian Pearson whose Ministerial Statement promulgated the discredited news, have both changed their minds and now support our case for the medal to be worn.

Don Touhig has now won a debate on the issue that you have supported in the past via the EDM. The debate is in Westminster Hall, next Tuesday, the 11th December at 11.00am.

35,000 British veterans will be watching from around the UK and from around the world hoping you will support them.

I am writing to ask if you will be able to support those British veterans, and Don Touhig, and be present for the debate. If you can, we shall be indebted to you.

Thank you very much.

Barry
---------------------------------------------------------
Barry Fleming
Stockbridge Cottage,
RG17 9QP

Fighting for the right to wear the PJM at
http://www.fight4thepjm.org
Emailto barry@fight4thepjm.org
"Pingat Kami - Hak Kami"

- - - - -

From: "KEEBLE, Sally" <KEEBLES@parliament.uk> 07/12/2007 22:16
To: <barry@fight4thepjm.org>

Subject: RE: URGENT: Malaysian Veterans Campaign - Debate 11.00am, 11th December

Thanks for this, but I will not be in London on this day.

Sally Keeble

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 07/12/2007 22:52 -----

To: "KEEBLE, Sally" <KEEBLES@parliament.uk>

Subject: RE: URGENT: Malaysian Veterans Campaign - Debate 11.00am, 11th December

Dear Sally,

Thank you very much for your response. I'm sorry to hear you will not be there next Tuesday, but we British veterans are grateful for your support.

With kind regards,

Barry

= = = = = = = = =

It's only a one-liner, but at least Sally Keeble took the time and trouble to reply to my email ... at 22.16 on a Friday night! And, like 217 of the other 218 MPs who received my email, she is not my MP.

This PJM issue brings out the best in people.

Last edited by BarryF on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Stephen Dorrel MP 
Can I ask that you support Don Touhig MP in his debate next Tuesday,
concerning the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal, presented to Commonwealth
Troops by a grateful Malaysian King and people, for our efforts to ensure
there freedom, firstly from communism and then from an oppressive
neighbour.
Many British Troops were killed during these conflicts, but for whatever
reason, although other commonwealth troops are allowed to wear the
medal, we in the UK are not.
I was one of the vets who represented our country in Malaysia recently
in their 50 years Merdeka celebration, where permission was given, for
that short time anyway, for the medal to be worn. However, on our
return to the UK, the medal had to be returned to its box and hidden in a
cupboard, as if we were ashamed of our part in what was another of
Britains forgotten Wars.
I find that this is not only an insult to one of our closest friends,
the Malaysian people, but also to 35,000 troops, many in their teens who
served out there and to the hundreds who died.

Regards, Owen Lawrence

My small effort to Stephen Dorrel MP. As I'm a bit late in the game, so to speak. I don't know whether he has supprted us in the past.

Owen

Post Re: Stephen Dorrel MP 
owen lawrence wrote:
My small effort to Stephen Dorrel MP. As I'm a bit late in the game, so to speak. I don't know whether he has supprted us in the past.

Hi Owen,

That is no 'small effort'. Mr Dorrel has never taken part in the PJM issue as far as I am aware, so you are breaking new ground for us by making him aware of our case.

Thanks,

Barry

A lot of hard work is taking place behind the scenes by you and the committee and I am sure us PJMers are thankful for that.This is great news,let us hope we all get an early christmas present.
I have contacted my MP Lorely Burt by e-mail asking her to supprt the debate on Tuesday.She did sign Dons EDM so I think she is our side.

Rgds Ray

Reply to topic Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next