Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The Don does it again - for us!
Post The Don does it again - for us! 
The Rt Hon Don Touhig MP has done it again. He has raised the PJM in a question in Parliament to the only person who can do anything about this problem - the Foreign Secretary David Milliband.

Don Touhig (Islwyn, Labour)

"Veterans of the Malaysia campaign are allowed to accept the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal, but not wear it on public occasions such as Remembrance Sunday. As my right hon. Friend the Foreign Secretary has responsibility in this area, does he agree that the decision of the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals decision is unjust, and will he intervene to overturn it?"

David Miliband (Secretary of State, Foreign & Commonwealth Office)

"I am happy to take up the issue that my right hon. Friend raises. Granting the medal was an important step forward, which has been widely welcomed. However, I shall certainly look into the matter."

Now it's your turn! Go to http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2007-11-20a.1095.4&s=pingat+jasa+malaysia#g1099.4 and post your comments!

Thank you.

Post Test 
Test message as forum seems inactive

Kuching.
Don't stand down Semengo......more news (and duty!) coming up VERY soon

This is fantastic news and I trust that justice will prevail upon completion of the debate, I have just sent this off to my MP

FOR THE ATTENTION OF:

Michael Lord MP
Central Suffolk and North Ipswich

Friday 7 December 2007

Dear Sir Michael Lord,

Don Touhig MP (Lab Islwyn) has managed to get a debate in Westminster Hall on Tuesday 11th December 2007 at 1100hrs regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia issue.

I hope you can find time to attend this debate and support Mr Touhig on this very important issue, not only for myself but for 35000 other Veterans of the Malayan/Malaysian Campaign

Yours sincerely,

John Cooper

Post DON's DEBATE! 
Yes - Don Touhig, champion of British veterans, has done what he said he would do.

For the latest, go to the new Topic at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14291#14291

Already mailed my MP who is in full support but unfortunately he is representing the UK at a NATO meeting at the same time. He has promised me a transcript of the meeting and wishes us well.

regards

John

Kuching.
Post The Don's debate - Help 
Help...........................

Does anyone know the process for Tueday?

I note the debate is not in the Commons, or am I wrong?

Does it end in a vote or not?

What is the next step?

I am unavoidably at a meeting at that exact time and date, is there any kind soul out there who can record it for me, or tell me how to do so myself?

Best wishes to all who strive for justice and have worked so tirelessly to get it.

Semengo

Kuching.
Post The Don's debate. 
Barry.

Great news. Have contacted my non-uniform mates, etc, and having emailed my Westminster SMP have already had a wee reply. Now considering which malt the best to mark a momentous day.....but will continue to look in until things get blurred.

MB.

Post Re: The Don's debate - Help 
Semengo13 wrote:
Help........................... Does anyone know the process for Tueday?

John,

As I understand it, Westminster Hall is a parallel chamber, an extension of the main Chamber, and debates were introduced there to extend the amount of time that can be given to issues that would not be debated on the floor of the Commons. The process was started only in the late 1990's by this Labour Govt. One of its main supporter was Margaret Beckett who said the additional chamber provided opportunities for members, particularly backbenchers, to hold government to account. Others said it would have no teeth and was a way to circumvent due democracy.

So in part (it does have other uses on important issues) it’s a debating chamber for not very controversial issues, local issues, constituency issues.

Then there is the type of debate. I think ours is a 30 minute adjournment debate with an hour of discussion to follow. If I am right, there will not be a vote. Furthermore, it is unlikely that the Government will send a Cabinet Minister to respond. If Don has been able to lobby support, he may get a junior minister on parade with greater clout than the one at the last PJM adjournment debate in the Commons.

In my view, this debate will raise the profile of our case but cannot, in itself, change the PJM recommendation. However, if the points debated are viewed as being of sufficient importance, it could lead to the matter being referred to the key Departments (the FCO is the lead Dept ... but then there is the MoD and Cabinet Office) who will not be able to disregard the debate particularly if further questions and responses are demanded from those who can ‘influence’ the civil servants … and I have David Millband in mind!

Another benefit of The Don's Debate ... HD Committee members will be made aware of the debate. That is not only a likely result of the debate, it is a foregone conclusion. Because Fight4thePJM will ensure that they have copies of the relevant "Points to Note"!

Barry

BarryF wrote:

Another benefit of The Don's Debate ... HD Committee members will be made aware of the debate. That is not only a likely result of the debate, it is a foregone conclusion. Because Fight4thePJM will ensure that they have copies of the relevant "Points to Note"!
Barry

....In addition to which, the HD Committee may comfortably rest assured that this debate does not signify the last shot In Fight4's locker...

'Jock' Fenton wrote:
BarryF wrote:

Barry

....In addition to which, the HD Committee may comfortably rest assured that this debate does not signify the last shot In Fight4's locker...

Don't worry about that, the powder is packed and kept dry.......................... Wink

Thanks Barry for answering my questions. I am now in the picture and understand what is going on. (allegedly)

Best wishes

John

Kuching.
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1