Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
DON's DEBATE!! PARLIAMENT TUESDAY 11TH DECEMBER!
I trust Don will make it clear that whist we were in Crown Service at the time of Malaysia's fight for Independence we wer NOT at the time Malaysia offered the medal to mark their 50th anniversary and that therefore the suits wishing to apply Rules which govern CAMPAIGN medals do NOT apply in this case as it is a COMMEMORATIVE medal offered to vetrans who no longer wear the Queen uniform.

Post Jockadist???? 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Dear Jodakist....I personally figured Barry's 'name change' was some sort of an implied compliment?...?

Looks like I'm out of step again...

Good morning Jock from a wet and dreary Cambridgeshire.

I think that you might be correct but if so, then it's an honour that I don't deserve which is why I pointed out that I was only a "Coventry Kid," that is enough of an honour for me - well other than wearing my PJM!

I do have several ancestors in my family tree from Scotland but I don't think that counts does it?

And, by the way, my paternal grandmother was a Fenton so we might even be distant cousins!!!!!

Have a very happy Christmas Jock!

Post Don's debate. 
Blowing my bugle (with your permission Pete) on behalf of a non-uniform, but ardent PJM supporter from Chester. As an ex Lord Mayor and presently a Lib Dem Councillor of that city he has just rung me to say that over the weekend he has e-mailed, on a personal basis, all those MPs he knows well, fairly well and slightly to tell them to...."Get yer arse in gear".... for Tuesday's debate......and I don't doubt that he said just that. He also sends his best wishes to all of us for tomorrow and assured me that he will keep, "kicking against the pricks," for as long as it takes. Fear not, I shall let him buy me a pint next time I see him.

MB

Post Re: Don's debate. 
MB wrote:
Blowing my bugle (with your permission Pete) on behalf of a non-uniform, but ardent PJM supporter from Chester. As an ex Lord Mayor and presently a Lib Dem Councillor of that city he has just rung me to say that over the weekend he has e-mailed, on a personal basis, all those MPs he knows well, fairly well and slightly to tell them to...."Get yer arse in gear".... for Tuesday's debate......and I don't doubt that he said just that. He also sends his best wishes to all of us for tomorrow and assured me that he will keep, "kicking against the pricks," for as long as it takes. Fear not, I shall let him buy me a pint next time I see him.

MB

Fantastic! Lobbying doesn't get any better than that. Thanks, Mike. Barry

Post Don's debate. 
Barry, I shall pass on your thanks when I speak to my cousin tomorrow night as arranged. And fear not, I shall insist on buying him several pints after he has got his in......next time we meet.

Mike.

Post Dons Debate 
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/VideoPlayer.aspx?meetingId=551&rel=ok

Brilliant debate, even the Minister ended up on our side after trying to defend the indefensible.
Click on the above link and you should be able to see the debate.

Owen

Just listened to the whole debate on the BBC Parliament website. Everybody put forward a constructive case for official wearing of the PJM,everybody criticised the secret society of the HD committee and their old fashioned/outdated logic for preventing us vets not being officially allowed the wear the PJM. In fact Kim Howells the minister who had to reply to the debate,found it very difficult to understand why the HD committee would not show some flexibility on this issue,and why they are so dogmatic in applying rules from 1871 and 1968 to our case,and not applying them to other awards like the Malta medal and North Atlantic star.
He finished off by saying that he would put pressure on the HD committee to re-examine and reconsider our claim,but this time show some 21st century reasoning and flexibilty.

I for one was extremely heartened by Don Touhig's comportment and delivery during the debate....he certainly did not, in any way 'sell us short'...and he articulated our aspirations and concerns lucidly and most effectively....Well done 'the Don'!!!

...It was also most interesting to note the comments of other speakers to the debate....as Owen has indicated even the Minister was apparently placed in the position of being incapable of defending the policy that has inspired this entire campaign.

...This debate has given the campaigners and campaign of Fight4 an elevated profile and has created a heightened awareness among the Westminster community...The Minister appeared to be thoroughly embarrassed by the position he was forced to take in attempting to defend the situation that he has inherited......today, in my humble opinion, a very valuable advance was made !!

Post Parliamentary Debate 
I enjoyed listening to the debate,one thing puzzled me though no-one answered Don Touhig's question on why HM allowed the other Commonwealth Countries to wear the pJM and not us.The respective Governments of the Commonwealth Counties actually told HM that they were recommending she allows them to wear the PJM.Is this a case of the Tail wagging the Dog?
And before someone jumps down my throat I am quoting an expression and NOT being offensive to HM.

Actually Smudger one of the participants did mention the fact that HM was advised by OZ & NZ committees in the name of their independent governments and that their decision would not be seen to influence our HD Committee (who actually advise...or 'tell' if you prefer it, HM on your behalf)

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Yes Stan, the Borneo 'clasp' was awarded in '62, that is why they say it wold be double medalling.

Should anyone feel disposed to drop a little, well deserved, word of thanks to Don Touhig for representing our campaign so very diligently and eloquently, he may be reached at:

Touhigd@parliament.uk

.......and for those who did not witness the Debate first hand....here is the 'Hansard' version...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmwhall/08.htm

I listened to the debate and now feel that Don Touhig has won our battle.
    However the Confruntation will still go on.
    Will the enemy now see the light of day?
    It was a great speech with nearly all those in the hall in support of our fight.
    At the closing, I also got the feeling that the minister Dr Kim Howells was on our side.

I have e-mailed Don with my thanks for his support.
    Well done, one and all.
    Phredd

ps = thanks for the correction Jock

Last edited by phredd on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next