Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Officialdoms atitude
All of this `fuss and bother' over a small consideration from a friendly country, who is only showing some gratitude for a favour done in the past. This expensive exersise is just one example of why the UK is looked upon with such ridicule by many other countries. Not to mention the discourtesy shown to one of the very few MUSLIM states that are FRIENDLY to the UK (I don't think there is more than one this friendly!) The number of medals offered by other countries to our troops surely is not large enough to be a problem, is it? Everywhere else on this planet would consider the `problem' to be kudos in extremis and make much political mileage from it. All `they' had to do, was make an official ceremonial `thank you' to Malaysia, distribute the medal with a few ceremonies from the NMBVA and RBL, collect all the kudos and gratitude from everyone involved. Instead `they' heaped scorn on their own heads and left everyone else with the bad smell! Political incompetence? No I don't believe it is, because it was a deliberate act. No, it was done with spite, with the same attitude of the yob who breaks off a cars antena after the owner forgot to retract it! I was done, because he could do it, a power thingy and H&DC made their decision for the same reason, dog in the manger!

If you remember me, dont pass me by
Wait and pass the time of day,
Andy. That latest 'howler' is a real indication that the mandarins are resorting to desperate measures, and such juvenile behaviour can only be described as laughable. A week on from this coming Sunday thousands of us 'band of brothers' will be wearing the PJM, at Remembrance Services all over the UK....so why don't those Desperate Dan's of Whitehall take their courage in their hands and arrest us all? The answer is simple. They know that to arrest just one of us would well and truly cook their cow pie and aunt Aggie would never cook them another.

We couldn't be arrested anyway, we're not breaking any law! Even the `rule' we are ignoring isn't one of `ours', that is one of the many reasons that makes the situation so ridiculous.

If you remember me, dont pass me by
Wait and pass the time of day,

"All they had to do was to was make an official 'thank you'...............

Yes, M8. One of the reasons they did not was sheer laziness. We, that is the Committe (ours, not theirs) understood from a senior civil servant now retired, that basically, the MoD DS Sec, Ceremonial did not want the job that our Aussie and NZ friends accepted gratefully, by carrying out the administration required. Eventually, MoD DS Sec accepted that they would verify the applications; this after all the real work had been carried out by Fred Burden. After having sat on a multiple of thousands of applications for six months, and after some chasing up by F4, they finally reached the Malaysian High Commission.

I can't even be sure that they were stamped; perhaps straight from the In Mail Room and on to the Out Mail Room to look as if the part they played was important and vital. Do I trust them? NO!

The PJM was shot down in the House of Lords by Baroness Symonds on the advice of civil servants, no doubt about that, and the consequeent four year run-a-round is the result. Ever since which they have striven to cover up their 'mistake'. They have told lies, misinformed Ministers and the PM (mind you he would swallow any story if it came from "distinguished people") duped the Press, and media in general, more times than that; indeed I doubt if her Majesty has any idea what has gone on. Talk about closing ranks.

The trouble is that Parliment itself and the Civil Service are full of people, visualising themselves as way above the proles and who carefully watch one anothers backs (and expenses) except for the occasional mole who is severely punished, or 'an on the job' investigative journalist, their reply to which is "no comment" Sadly there aren't too many moles or investgative jounalists about. One thing is certain they did not expect, and were ill prepared, for the resulant anger of circa 35,000 veterans who felt that they were being put upon!

D^

Yours aye.

Mike.

Would the receipt of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, be entered on our service records?

Or, not recorded anywhere, so that a recipients name could not be verified.

Yours Aye

Arthur -S

Post Rules? 
Martin wrote:
We couldn't be arrested anyway, we're not breaking any law! Even the `rule' we are ignoring isn't one of `ours', that is one of the many reasons that makes the situation so ridiculous.

Too true Martin. Their rules imposing restrictions on the lawful rights of citizens to freedom and liberty are unlawful in our present democracy. They are their own in-house government rules which could only be imposed against government employees. Even their ‘discourtesy to The Queen’ allegation is nothing more than stupidity because The Queen has said nothing, ziltch, zero, about the PJM and it is only the Chair of the HD Committee and the (retired) Queen’s Private Secretary who are holding circa 35,000 veterans to ransom and why? because they feel like it.

One day this elitist attitude of some in our establishment will be overcome by honest and true men (and women of course) when we find some in our public services who are prepared to introduce truth, honesty and integrity.

An interesting thought Arthur. However, as I recall, the MOD would have nothing to do with supplying our details to the Malaysians in the way of verification of service...except, that is, to hold on to them and delay distribution of the PJM. It was Fred Burden who dealt with verification, if I am not mistaken, and sent lists of names to the Malaysian High Commission.

I doubt that the MOD records bods added the PJM to our records(?), but Fred and the Malaysians must have verified lists of names and appropriate service of PJM recipients.

Yours aye.

Mike.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2