Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
A New member
A fond hello to all the members who are fighting fo the PJM and congratulations to all that have received the medal. I am waiting patiently for mine to arrive. Can any of the members tell me in what order they are issued.

I am now over 70 years of age and don't know how many more rememberance parades I will be able to attend so it would be nice to be able to wear it on what could be my last parade.

Keep up the good fight
Regards
Bill Manning ex Kuala Lumpur

Welcome to the Fight4thePJM web site, Bill.

I have sent you a PM.

Barry

Fraternal greetings - fond memories of sharing the delights of Nee Soon transit camp and the hinterland with fellow reprobates when en route to the 'funny place' (that's what I was doing, no idea what all you Brits were doing there) and of that RP laddie who solemnly inspected my right ankle, swollen to the size of a football after an unfortunate encounter with a monsoon drain, but firmly telling me nathless I could no longer go to the mess without an 'excused boot' chit. Yes, I believe even he should have the right to add his PJM to his 'rack' along with the other medal(s) of his entitlement.Laughing

And a reflective moment in remembrance of those who didn't make to back to Nee Soon on the way back. To echo Binyon

"To the innermost heart of their own land they are known / As the stars are known to the Night."

And in Malay of the Borneo variety, I'm told that's something like

"Untuk hati mereka yang tersirat kepeda tanah air, mereka dikenang bagaikan bintang pada malam yang indah."

We don't need a medal to remember - but the PJM is for the fallen and it is for the returned and it was awarded in gratitude for the contributions of all and when some may wear it and some may not how does that somehow sanctify the British awards system and does that not denigrate the awards systems of the those other Commonwealth countries that allow the wearing of it?

We don't need a medal to remember - but the PJM is for the fallen and it is for the returned and it was awarded in gratitude for the contributions of all and when some may wear it and some may not how does that somehow sanctify the British awards system and does that not denigrate the awards systems of the those other Commonwealth countries that allow the wearing of it?

Welcome Rectalgia.

I'm impressed with your Bahasa Melayu/Kebansaan, as would our late great Chairman, Jock Fenton. We both spoke a bit of Malay all those years ago. Vague memories now, unhappily.

I spent time at Nee Soon, not only enjoying its hospitality as a transit Camp, but also on Malay Interpreter courses.

I endorse all you say in your post. And your last point is one we have been making since 2006. It is presumptuous of the British Government to infer that the rest of the Commonwealth is wearing a medal that the HD Committee consider below the standard for a British medal bar - thus denigrating the Honours Systems of those countries that acknowledge and respect what the Malaysians have done, and the service that the PJM represents.

Barry

Welcome Rectalgia.

I'm impressed with your Bahasa Melayu/Kebansaan, as would our late great Chairman, Jock Fenton. We both spoke a bit of Malay all those years ago. Vague memories now, unhappily. ...Barry

Thanks Barry, I can't claim that translation though - it is the work of two of Tan Sri Richard Lind's grand-daughters (Natasha and Evanna Assan). I think he was Resident, Sandakan by the time we were there at the tail-end of Konfrontasi but had previously been a District Officer in Sabah when earlier RAE squadrons were operating there (on the road south from Keningau).

Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3