Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The Queen's approval
Post The Queen's approval 
Could everyone that has had communication regarding the PJM from any Governmental Department where it categorically states that Her Majesty The Queen or The Queen or any derivation relating to Her Majesty where it states that She has given approval for the PJM to be accepted but not worn please state when this letter was written and by whom and the Department involved that way we can keep these all in the same place/thread

August 7th 2006 from Richard Coney, Ministry of Defence to myself via email my own highlighting in blue

Dear Mr Cooper,

The policy relating to the acceptance and wearing of foreign medals by British citizens is administered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This is not a matter for the Ministry of Defence. You should write to the Honours Unit, Old Admiralty Building, London, SW1A 2PA.

However, the information you have been given is correct. The Queen has granted permission for British citizens to accept the medal, but as a souvenir or keepsake only and not for wear. There is no right of appeal. It is not a matter of law or of your statutory rights. As a civilian you can do what you like. You are not breaking any laws if you choose to ignore the decision, but it is considered a discourtesy to The Sovereign if you do. Many veterans will wear the medal regardless. No-one will actually tell them not to.

The FCO will be able to provide you with more information if required.

I hope this is helpful.

R T Coney
DS Sec – Honours 1
MOD
London

The following information as requested,

FCO Ian McCartney August 2006

Cabinet Office Dennis Brennan 12th March 2007

Hope this assists. Keep at 'em

With thanks,

John

Kuching.
Thanks John................This one from October 18th 2006

To Mr Howell James
Permanent Secretary
Government Communications
70 Whitehall
London
SW1A 2AS

Your reference: FOI2455648 18th October 2006

Official Complaint

Dear Mr James

I requested information from The Ceremonial Secretariat on 22/09/2006 regarding The Queen's Signature barring ex-servicemen from wearing The PJM medal. Your reply was:

I can inform you that Her Majesty The Queen's approval of the recommendations put forward by the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals was transmitted in the usual way. The relevant document was dated 21 December 2005 and a copy of the original is kept in files in the Ceremonial Secretariat [verbatim]

In the light of recent correspondence from The Information Commissioners Office via The Cabinet Office the above quote from you was aimed to mislead or obfuscate my question

1> There is no document signed/initialled by Her Majesty The Queen barring ex-servicemen from wearing The PJM

2> The 'relevant document' of 21 December does not exist, there is a document signed by Sir Robin Janvrin, the Personal Secretary to The Queen, on this date, but that was not my original question to The Ceremonial Secretariat in which you were tasked to answer.

I wish to have a response to this email under the guidelines of The Cabinet Office URL

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/ContactUs/Complaints.aspx

Thank you
Yours sincerely

John Cooper

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1