Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
"Restricted wear and the Two medal Myth”
Post "Restricted wear and the Two medal Myth” 
After a recent discussion with a another veteran re the N/GSM (clasp Brunei ) has interested me to look at Tinson’s book chap 8 “ Restricted wear and the Two medal Myth” He states that those who received two medals (Brunei & Borneo) must have thought father Christmas had come. But what Tinson misses is the politically and geographical reasons, rather that the actual military actions which took place in the former British colonies of Brunei, N/Borneo & Sarawak.

For instance the 31 August 1957 only became an important political deadline date when the Malaysian Government decided to award the PJM medal. It was of no importance to HMG who issued the same clasp Malaya 1948 -190 before and after Malaysia Independence day.

Army & RAF veterans who apply for the PJM and already have a GSM (clasp Malaya) from Aug 1957 to Aug 1960 have been classed as doublemedaling by HMG. No RN personnel received a NGSM (Malaya) during this period, yet they classed as doublemedaling by HMG as well.

Then there was a two and half year period (from Aug 1960 to Dec 1962) when no British serviceman received a GSM for service anywhere in the world. During this period thousands from all three services came to Malaya-Singapore and returned to UK with no GSM medal. One example was the two last commissions of the Cruiser HMS Belfast 1959-62, were 1500 ships company with no GSM who today are intitled to the PJM medal.

Now we come to the N/GSM Brunei clasp. (8/23 Dec 1962) This is not a double medal to the PJM because it was a revolt in a British colony were the Union flag still flew. In fact Brunei has never been attached to Malaya or the Malaysian Federation Today it is an independent State.

The Brunei Insurrection, was a local revolt and may have been a spark which started the Indonesia confrontation which only began politically from 20 January 1963 when Indonesian Foreign Minister Dr Subandrio announced Indonesias ‘confrontation’ with Malaysia.

Now we come to the GSM Borneo clasp. From 23 Dec 1962 to Aug 1963 N Borneo & Sarawak were still British colonies under the Union flag. Borneo clasps awarded during this period cannot be classed as a double medal to the Malaysian PJM medal.

Only after August 1963 when N Borneo & Sarawak joined the Malay federation can the “Borneo” & later “Malay Peninsula” GSM clasps (ending 1965/6) be classed as double medals to the PJM medal by HMG.
So all in all from 1957 to 1966 only about 50% (rough estimate) of all British service personnel who served in Malaya Borneo received a GSM during that nine year period.

Finally, HMG would have saved themselves a lot of trouble and pleased those who missed out receiving a GSM had they issued one over all medal GSM “Far east” for services in Malaya-Brunei-Borneo. After all HMG have issued a GSM “Northern Ireland” for the past 38 years, during which times there have been both active service and peacekeeping periods similar to happenings in the far east from 1948 to 1966.

Indeed so and there were other periods during this time when no award was made for instance, Singapore during the civil unrest and riots in that country (much worse than those in Brunei).

Hong Kong where there were two periods of civil unrest in the mid 60,s where troops took to the streets to subdue the rioting Chinese sparked by Mao's cultural revolution (again much worse than Brunei). There was also the troops sent to Panmunjon, Korea which was still ostensibly a war zone with an uneasy cease fire. Nearer still was the period when British troops served in the Falkland Islands after the war but before the official cessation of hostilities, still active service. There are many such anomalies and I suspect that the main reason for them not to be recognised officially was cost. Australia issue a medal for service in West Germany and another for the Occupation Forces in Berlin as do the Americans.

We can continue ad infinitem but it all boils down I believe to a distinct class issue over honours and awards coupled with a tightness of the national purse that beggars belief.

John

There is also a commemorative medal for forces who served in Germany.

There is also a commemorative medal for forces who served in Germany.

The PJM is not, of course, a commemorative medal in the sense of one that you can buy in the shops that is not formally approved by The Queen.

The PJM has been officially approved by The Queen for eligible (and only eligible) British citizens to receive. It is therefore an official medal. It is not 'Bling' if worn (as the shop-bought mementos would be if worn) - whether you wear the PJM or not is up to you (and that's official too, by the way).

...The PJM has been officially approved by The Queen for eligible (and only eligible) British citizens to receive. It is therefore an official medal. It is not 'Bling' if worn (as the shop-bought mementos would be if worn) - whether you wear the PJM or not is up to you (and that's official too, by the way).
Indeed. And one sees British veterans wearing the PJM on Armistice Day, etc. And I noted in http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/7885945/Chelsea-Pensioners-sign-their-first-record-deal.html that one of those Chelsea Pensioners is indeed wearing his PJM.

Oh Lord, are we really all that old? I shall continue to avoid mirrors.

But the point is, I was of the understanding that the in-pensioners of that august institution, the Royal Hospital, were most meticulous about their decorations - and that their entitlements are vetted before they can put up the medal "racks" on their uniforms. Is that right? It seems to me that if a CP can wear the PJM then surely anyone with the medal entitlement may do the same. Is there a de facto victory? It is unimaginable, surely, that the Chelsea Pensioners would would offer "a slight to HM the Queen".

Steve

A de facto victory indeed exists, Steve.....but there is also the fact that the Honours & Decorations Committee still refuse to step down from their high horse and recognise the fact. It is they and not us who offer a slight to HMQ and it is high time they were cut down to size and made fit for purpose.

yours aye.

Mike.

PS. I am a National Service bod who served in Malaya, 1957-59 and I aint looked seriously into a mirror since I grew whiskers.

...the Honours & Decorations Committee still refuse to step down from their high horse and recognise the fact. It is they and not us who offer a slight to HMQ and it is high time they were cut down to size and made fit for purpose.
Thanks Mike - those creatures are irrelevant and disrespectful then, and simply haven't accepted the clear message. This is quite incredible. Tenaciously clinging to their sinecures. Perhaps if people stopped believing in them they would simply fade away, all Tinkerbell-like and with faint whimpers. Maybe not gratifying enough but the ultimate indignity for those of that ilk.
MB wrote:
PS. I am a National Service bod who served in Malaya, 1957-59 and I aint looked seriously into a mirror since I grew whiskers.
Me too, and when I see a reunion photograph I have great trouble picking myself out of the assemblage. Thank heavens for name cards - we were considering bar-code tattoos before someone hit on that idea.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1