Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
DRAFT MEDALS REVIEW.
Post DRAFT MEDALS REVIEW. 
Yesterday, I received the following letter from the MoD with two documents of totally seven pages attached.

One document with TWO pages is headed EXTRACT FROM PART FIVE; VETERANS CAMPAIGNS FOR MEDALS FOR PAST SERVICE - PINGAT JASA MALAYSIA.

The concluding paragraph is very bad news for our campaign for justice and intelligent debate to have the official non-wear decision on the honourable PJM overturned as it states -

As a foreign award, the FCO has the Government lead on the subject of the PJM but in the MoD's view there is no case for recommending to the HD Committee that it reviews its decision on the PJM once again.

The other document is five pages and headed Part Two: Principles Underpinning the Award of Medals which is saying that no other medals (National Defence Medal?) will be considered if they are prevented from being issued by the Double Medal Rule; the Five Year Rule; and the Risk and Rigour Principle.

You will see that in the last paragraph of the letter produced here it says 'Please feel free to share this with others who you think would wish to contribute'.
I am sure everyone will meet this challenge.

The full report will have to be posted in bits and pieces later.

Andy, Chairman.

Here is the two pages about the PJM.

The following is the five pages of the 'Principles Underpinning the Award of Medals - no change here and it looks like our Coalition Government's promise to reinstate the Military Covenant, look after veterans and veterans issues and rules on medals has been nothing more than a WHITEWASH.

The previous page froze so I will try and send the other four pages now -

I far as I’m concerned this is not the Medal Review that was promised by the Coalition Government but an internal MoD review behind closed doors.
There is nothing in that draft that contradicts the London Gazette Notice 5057, so I shall continue to wear my PJM.

Post Review 
Agreed - so much so that I shall wear one on my pymajas just to make me feel marginally better! If the Review is the usual kind of government report and subsequent action, then it is shallow, hollow, and therefore has the usual ring to it. Ditto to me Paul.

I've added the link to this epistle to a thread I initiated on "Electric Scotland" regarding the PJM, if nothing else it gains world wide coverage and "Hit count" now stands at over 3900. Exclamation

http://www.electricscotland.org/showthread.php/471-Fight-for-the-Right-to-Wear-the-Pingat-Jasa-Malaysia-(Malaysian-Service-Medal)

Post NMBVA. 
A copy of the above Draft Medals Review documents were forwarded to Lt Colonel Tex Pemberton, President of the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans Association, who thanked us for our co-operation.

He has issued a statement on the recent developments and will be asking all his members to contact their Members of Parliament for assistance in what appears to be a done deal by the MoD who say that they are not recommending changing anything.

We have agreed to co-operate and exchange information with the nmbva in an effort to get our elected representatives in the Houses of Parliament to start listening to their constituents and do something about this sorry situation forced upon British veterans by unelected civil servants who act in secret and will not even show us the order issued by Her Majesty the Queen stating that she has refused to give official permission for the PJM to be worn.

Please assist by contacting your MP. To those who have already taken some kind of action, many thanks. Together we can make changes.

Andy, Chairman.

Post MEDALS REVIEW. 
The final report on the Medals Review was sent to the Prime Minister and the Deputy Prime Minister via the Defence Secretary on 16th February, 2011. Apparently the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister refused to endorse this Medals Review and directed that the MoD consult with veterans.

It was also directed that this review of the review be considered under the direction of an independent chairperson.

The above information has been confirmed by the MoD who also advised that the independent chairperson has not yet been appointed. We will, of course, attempt to identify this chairperson as soon as the appointment has been made and will attempt to obtain representation at this review.

This means that the MoD Veterans Minister and his little helpers tried to slip this review past everyone and keep it secret until it was accepted higher up the chain. This didn’t work so we now have the opportunity, in my opinion the last time, to put before our democratic government the case for the right to wear the PJM.

We must do this through our Members of Parliament and make sure that our parliament listens to reason and common sense.

Please make sure that your constituency MP is made aware of this ludicrous situation.

We are co-operating with Colonel Tex Pemberton, President of the NMBVA and sharing information with him.

Post My MP 
Arrived today -

""Dear Mr Davies - Thank you for your email of Friday’s date and for your further comments regarding the Pingat Jassa Malaysia Medal. I entirely concur with your view that it is a ridiculous situation to confer a medal and then deny permission for it to be worn. It makes no sense to me at all.

I am very happy to raise this again with the MOD, as it is an important issue, and one on which I believe the veterans deserve a positive outcome. I will, of course, let you know the response as soon as it is available.

Yours sincerely

Caroline Nokes MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

Tel: 0207 219 7218 ""

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1