Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
MAGAZINE COVERAGE
Post MAGAZINE COVERAGE 
The December2011/January 2012 edition of MEDAL NEWS includes three Editorial or Article references to the successful PJM saga.

The main Editorial may be seen at
www.tokenpublishing.com/issue.asp?iid=318

Best wishes to every PJMer

MIKE O
RAF Borneo

Post Collectors 
Heh, as the article says in conclusion "... emphasising once again that whilst we may love this fascinating hobby, the medals we collect were not instituted with us collectors in mind but rather for the soldiers, sailors and air crew who were, and are, awarded them. We’d do well to remember that little fact more often." Yep, and even the "lobsters" too (I see Oz is due to re-institute the marine service by the by, not seen since colonial days).

But you have to love those individual collectors - their work in rescuing these tangible tokens of service and sacrifice from oblivion or obscurity when there is no longer a family able or willing to do so ensures the flame does not die. Their interest and skill in unearthing the stories in peace and in war of those men and women awarded, to provide a context (and enhance the value) and to reveal something of the actual person, goes way beyond mere acquisition and does us all proud in the remembrance.

Post Tokens of service and other expectations therein. 
I agree with you entirely Rectalgia. Collectors of most items are usually to be relied on, but numismatists of the medal variety know that they are also dealing with everything to do with a soldier's life...the boredom as well as the excitement...the fear as well as the moment of bravery...and the fact that with regard to conscription the same gem-like states of mind were shared by conscripts and regulars.

I have a private view of what should happen to the body of a fallen soldier, it being that it should lie on the field of battle with dead friends and foes alike. As a National Serviceman in Malaya 1957-59 I knew that if I fell I'd probably not get a grave, let alone a flight back to Blighty to upset my folks further. My couple of gongs, however, should they not be kept within the family along with my grandfather's Pip Squeak & Wilfred and my dad's 7 including the Africa and Italy stars, I hope will go to a collector for nothing. I abhor families who do not have the intelligence or small respect to honour their anticedents in the pursuit of a few quid for a medal or two so dearly earned, often with the ultimate sacrifice.

With this inclusion I would like to end my long and rewarding time with the Fight 4 the PJM.

Also a two page spread in this issue of the "Legion" (Jan/Feb 2012)

phredd

Local Manchester News last night 24 April 2013.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rxwvz

Go into the clip to about 10 minutes to see the comments.

Phredd

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1