Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
One Off SPECIAL Competition - Have-A-Go
Post One Off SPECIAL Competition - Have-A-Go 
Last weekend, the 11th and 12th November, we 'Remembered'.

We all did our bit, often in total silence. Others provided the sound that brings a lump to your throat as they play "The Last Post". Some provided the sound that brings a tear to your eye for the right reasons and some, like that whining and discordant guitar in the Albert Hall Ceremony on Saturday, for completely the wrong reasons!

Here is a piccie of somebody 'doing their bit' for the RBL Poppy Appeal.

Tell us something interesting about this image ... anything at all. Tell us what you see - or what is missing (Hint 1: The bugler is a British citizen).

If you know his name - please do not ID him on the Public Forum ... he's shy!

So all answers to bugler@fight4thePJM.org or send a Private Message to 'admin' with your entries.

And yes .... dada da da ... there is a prize on offer. But this time it is different. Very different.

The winner can have a poppy wreath placed on the grave of a family member in France or Belgium or on one of the Memorials to the Missing in either of those countries - you choose the site, we'll personally place the wreath which we obtain from the RBL thus adding to their cause. And we'll have a photgraph taken of the occasion for you.

Go on ... Have a Go!

This competition is open to everyone except admin and BarryF - and that includes our indefatigable Fight4thePJM team leading this campaign who can take part as well.

Remember (!), every entry will go in the hat.

Here is the piccie:

Post Now on the main Competitions Page 
This competition is now on the main Competitions Page.

Click here: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/competitions.htm

Post FAQs about The Bugler Comp 
Questions are coming in thick and fast about this competition:

Q: Does it have to be a family member?

A: No. You can nominate any named grave or a Memorial to the Missing.

Q: Can I nominate a Cemetery?

A: Yes - we'll place the Wreath at the Cross of Sacrifice.

Q: I'd like to nominate a grave of An Unknown Soldier - is that OK?

A: Definitely - if you do not nominate a location, we'll pick one in a cemetery that is not often visited.

Q: Does the grave, cemetery or memorial have to be British or Commonwealth?

A: Absolutely not - we do not distinguish between the fallen.

New:

Q: Can you help me find where a relative or friend is buried or remembered?

A: We have very limited resources but will help if we can. First try "Search Our Records" on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site at http://www.cwgc.org/. If unsuccessful and the casualty died in WW1 send whatever information you have to barry@fight4thePJM.org who will do a search on records of those who died in the Great War. For either of these searches, you will need both a name and a unit (preferably with the Bn number). Regimental number is very important (but not essential unless teh surname is e.g. 'Smith'). Date or year of death is also helpful. For those who died in Malaya-Borneo, try http://www.nmbva.co.uk - if you can get through the popups! NB: Due to our limited resources, unhappily we can only give help to those who enter The Bugler Comp.

Please send any other questions to bugler@fight4thePJM.org or send a private Message to 'admin' or BarryF.

Post What is the man not wearing? 
Presumably since a British soldier cannot salute with out a hat....hat is the answer.

Should I be correct I would like a wreath to be placed on the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. As a Sgt. in the Coldstream Gds. my grandfather stood at one corner of the coffin, arms reversed, etc, when the body was brought back from the battlefields. It would be my tribute to my father, who died in August, my grandfather, and we of the "Forgotten Wars" of the 1950s and 1960s. Not forgetting those who are dying as I enter my answer in this comfortable chair........MB.

Post Re: What is the man not wearing? 
MB wrote:
Presumably since a British soldier cannot salute with out a hat....

Soldier??? Look at those boots! They're not Boots DMS, 9 large, soldiers for the wearing of!

But that's a great entry and your answer goes into the (missing?) hat with a note of your wishes should your name be drawn.

Barry

PS It's OK to place entries here but, with the quantity currently coming in, it would be helpful to have entries submitted by email to bugler@fight4thepjm.org where they can be stored together. Many thanks.

Post What is the man not wearing 
Aha! I have it. Not only is this man dressed as a Petty Officer of the Royal Navy, and not a soldier as has been previously noted, but he is not wearing his Pingat Jasa Malaysia.
Furthermore, yon sailor, is wearing an Association tie, not the regulation black one.

Don't tell me, I've won the alternative prize of a week in Christopher Edge's underpants.

I think our man has a button missing on his sleve, if my memory is right don't POs have 3 buttons to stop them wiping their nose on their sleve and he only has 2.

ITS HARD TO MAKE OUT,BUT BY ITS SHAPE AND COLOUR IS IT HIS LAPEL VETS BADGE?MY MISSUS,WORKS WITH SOME NAVY BODS ,AND I CALLED HER UP THIS MORNING,AND A P.O. THERE ,CONFIRMS THAT TWO CUFF BUTTONS IS CORRECT,SO MAYBE ITS BECAUSE OF DEFENCE CUTS ,OR( P.A.),YOUR MEMORY AIN'T WOT IT USE TO BE,EITHER WAY ,I THINK IT MUST HAVE BEEN ,A HABIT LEARNED OFF THE ARMY,ON THE BASIS,OF THE ARMY HAVING REGULATION UNIFORMS AVEC BUTTONS,LONG BEFORE NAVY HAD A STANDARD UNIFORM,THO THERE MIGHT BE SOME TRUTH THAT THE OFFICERS JACKET HAS 8 BUTTONS AS OPPOSED TO A SENIOR RATINGS 6,AS IT HELPS THEM TO COUNT TO 10 EASIER Question BUT THIS MIGHT BE SOMETHING LIKE A H.D. C'MITTEE DECISION,YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN ::: YEP A SECRET Exclamation OH IF A WINNER I'D LIKE THE WREATH TO BE PLACED ON THE GRAVE OF AN UNKNOWN LANCASHIRE FUSILIER,IN THE CEMETERY BY THE SUNKEN LANE,BEAUMONT HAMEL ,SOMME.

I've sent my SUGGESTION AS TO WHO THE TRUMPET SERGEANT MAJOR IS to the competition rather than say it here because I hear he is shy. Shy? Playing the Bugle Voluntary? He can't be a shrinking violet. A jolly tar perhaps. I think he is somebody who was not in the paras, but more likely NOT INTO PARAS IF YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN NUDGE, NUDGE, WINK, WINK! I'm off before I get a broadside from the matelot.

Post Re: One Off SPECIAL Competition - Have-A-Go 
admin wrote:
Tell us something interesting about this image ... anything at all. Tell us what you see - or what is missing (Hint 1: The bugler is a British citizen).

If you know his name - please do not ID him on the Public Forum ... he's shy!

So all answers to bugler@fight4thePJM.org or send a Private Message to 'admin' with your entries.

And yes .... dada da da ... there is a prize on offer. But this time it is different. Very different.

The winner can have a poppy wreath placed on the grave of a family member in France or Belgium or on one of the Memorials to the Missing in either of those countries - you choose the site, we'll personally place the wreath which we obtain from the RBL thus adding to their cause. And we'll have a photgraph taken of the occasion for you.

Go on ... Have a Go!

This competition is open to everyone except admin and BarryF - and that includes our indefatigable Fight4thePJM team leading this campaign who can take part as well.

Remember (!), every entry will go in the hat.

Here is the piccie:

We have received over 100 entries ... so far.

Remember - the competition is open to everyone who visits this site. And every entry will go into the hat. So everyone has a chance!

Go on ... Have a Go! We'll keep the competition open until the end of the month ... oddly.

Post Re: One Off SPECIAL Competition - Have-A-Go 
BarryF wrote:
Remember - the competition is open to everyone who visits this site. And every entry will go into the hat. So everyone has a chance!

In view of the interest in this competition (and the additional interest in Memorials) we have decided to extend the number of winners to 3% of the total entry.

So with the entries that we have today, we would be able to announce 3 winners. But, most importantly, we would be able be able to place 3 poppy wreaths on 3 memorials!

So, come on ... Have-A-Go ... you will be serving the cause of 'Remembering'.

Post Last Call for the Last Post! 
Any more entries for this Special Competition?

Anyone and everyone can have a go.

No qualifications needed, no membership required, no subs, nothing ... and every entry, no matter how irreverent, goes into the hat for the draw for this particularly meaningful prize!

Go on .... you know you can!

All answers to bugler@fight4thePJM.org or send a Private Message to 'admin' with your entries.

We close this Competition tomorrow - 1200hrs GMT!

Post Competition Closed! 
This competition has now closed.

There were 115 entries and so we shall pick three winners from the hat.

Jock Fenton will do the 'honours' from Canada and will pick three numbers between 1 and 115. The selection is totally random and not dependent on any subjective judgement by Jock, or anyone else for that matter, on the content of the entry.

The winners will be notified so that they can advise us on which Western Front Cemetery or Memorial or Grave they would like their poppy wreath to be placed.

Barry

Post Winning competition entries. 
I have drawn the numbers from our Fight4thePJM virtual hat and they are:

38, 64, 100

I have been in touch with the UK, and the names associated with those numbers are:

MB, GerryL, IvorJ

Congratulations to all three. This competition, instituted on the 11th November was all about Remembrance. I'll now contact each lucky winner by PM to ask them for their choice of Military Cemetery, Memorial, or Grave where they would like us to place a Poppy Wreath - and we'll take a photograph of the occasion.

Post 'Bugler' Competition Winners 
MB:

For Mike, winning our Bugler Competition resulted in another, and more important success. When discussing where he would like to have a wreath placed Mike mentioned that he had two relatives who had died in Europe – Herbert Chantler in WWI and Hugh Gilmour in WW2. Mike’s family knew that a relative was killed in the push to the Arnhem bridgehead and thought his body had never been found. Well, we are pleased to report that we have traced his relative and, with the corroborative info we supplied, Mike has confirmed our info is correct. We have also traced the grave of Hughie Gilmour and the date he was killed, and so Mike and his family no longer need to feel the terrible void that families suffer when not knowing the fate of a loved one.

A wreath will be placed on the newly identified grave of Private 4202384 Private Hugh Gilmour (Lincolnshire Regiment ) who died on the 14th October 1944, aged 27 - plot I. C. 1, Overloon War Cemetery near Nijmegen in Holland. We’ll take some photographs for Mike and his family.

We shall also arrange for a wreath to be placed on the grave of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey where the warrior rests 'among Kings'. We shall have to seek permission but have contingency plans (at the Cenotaph) if we have problems.

We shall do more work on Mike’s great uncle who was killed in WWI, and we shall report back.

IvorJ:

Ivor sent this message “I am very humbled to be given the opportunity to have a wreath placed, not only in remembrance of a relative, but also in memory of the many fine servicemen who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in service of their country. If possible I would like a wreath placed at the grave of Ivor Stanley Rich R.A.C. interred at the Banneville - La - Campagne War Cemetery in Normandy. I believe the plot number is V1.E.18. Ivor Rich was killed one month before I was born. IvorR”

We shall do exactly that and will send Ivor some photographs.

3968125 Sergeant Ivor Stanley Rich was 24 years old when he was killed on the 18th August 1944. He was in “C” Squadron, 53rd Regiment, Reconnaissance Corps, HAC. Banneville-La-Campagne War Cemetery in Normandy is near Caen.

We shall also arrange for wreaths to be placed at the Memorials to the Missing at the Menin Gate in Ypres, Belgium, and at the Thiepval Memorial on the Somme, France.

GerryL:

Gerry has requested that his wreath be laid in a cemetery in Malaysia. He has left the choice to us and we could not think of any place better than “God’s Little Acre” at Batu Gajah.

We shall also arrange for a wreath to be placed at the Memorial to the Missing in Terendak Garrison.

Again, we’ll arrange for some photographs to be taken of the occasions.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next