Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
More from the Beeb ... It is VITAL that we each vote!
A long standing mate of mine although he served in the Malay Peninsular is not entitled to the PJM but here is what Dave has sent Julian Clegg (Dave has given me permission to post this for all to see)

Copy of the letter sent to the BBC this morning.

----- Original Message -----
To: julianclegg@bbc.co.uk
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 9:14 AM
Subject: PJM (Malaysian Medal)

Dear Sir,
Having served in the Royal Air Force for 9 years, (3 of those in the Far East) and the remainder of my working life in the West Midlands Police, I have come to the conclusion, sadly, that all my efforts to preserve the peace in my beautiful country was a complete waste of my lifetime on this earth. We have become a third rate nation with a succession of governments hell bent on destroying the land built on the blood and sweat of our fathers, but oh boy do they look after themselves.

Like our boys and girls who are fighting other countries wars at this time, I wonder if they harbour the same thoughts that Great Britain is no longer worth fighting for due to the help, support and recognition they are receiving from their government.

The so called leaders of this country have honoured drug addicts, prostitutes and other offenders against our criminal law with top honours and knighthoods. All our brave lads who fought and died in the forgotten war in Malaysia want to do, is to wear the medal so graciously given to them by a grateful king of Malaysia for saving his country from anarchy. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

When Tony Blair came to office, I saw him shaking hands with terrorists and other like vermin who strut this planet. I thought at the time, 'This sixth form boy is going to mortally wound this country', how right!

Should public opinion force the government to do a 'U' turn with regards to allowing those so honoured to wear the PJM, will it not be soured somewhat by the fact that they had to fight for the right in the first place?

Yours faithfully,

David Bloomfield

Every thing Dave has said in his letter is right, Blair & Co has run this country into the ground.

Dear Sir,
Having served in the Royal Air Force for 9 years, (3 of those in the Far East) and the remainder of my working life in the West Midlands Police, I have come to the conclusion, sadly, that all my efforts to preserve the peace in my beautiful country was a complete waste of my lifetime on this earth. We have become a third rate nation with a succession of governments hell bent on destroying the land built on the blood and sweat of our fathers, but oh boy do they look after themselves.

Like our boys and girls who are fighting other countries wars at this time, I wonder if they harbour the same thoughts that Great Britain is no longer worth fighting for due to the help, support and recognition they are receiving from their government.

The so called leaders of this country have honoured drug addicts, prostitutes and other offenders against our criminal law with top honours and knighthoods. All our brave lads who fought and died in the forgotten war in Malaysia want to do, is to wear the medal so graciously given to them by a grateful king of Malaysia for saving his country from anarchy. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

When Tony Blair came to office, I saw him shaking hands with terrorists and other like vermin who strut this planet. I thought at the time, 'This sixth form boy is going to mortally wound this country', how right!

Should public opinion force the government to do a 'U' turn with regards to allowing those so honoured to wear the PJM, will it not be soured somewhat by the fact that they had to fight for the right in the first place"

Unquote.

Absolutely right David. I also believe they still think we will get fed up and pack it in. Why else are they delaying any response. How wrong they are.

We are being treated like third class citizens. Absolutely unforgivable. Time for a few surprises methinks. Twisted Evil

Kuching.
Post To Solent Radio from Keith Frape 
Keith Frape has written this brilliant bit of lobbying to Jo Palmer....and he throws down an interesting gauntlet in his penultimate sentence...one, which I personally will lay 'even money', that no Government spokesperson will have the necessary intestinal fortitude to pick up!!!
(Posted for Keith, granted his permission, as he has some technical difficulties which limit his access)

Dear Ms. Palmer.

Having served with The Life Guards in the Far East, I wish to point out that our regimental squadrons back then, 1966. were split, serving in different locations. Our C squadron was located in Borneo and thus were awarded the GSM 1962, clasp Borneo.

However, the remainder of the regiment were based on/in the Malaysian mainland and the British government in their wisdom did not see fit to award us, (the GSM 1962) a medal. Even though the Malaysians clearly indicate hostilities and the cooling off period were still in place.

Now years later, we have graciously been given the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal (PJM) by the Malay government and its people, to at least show recognition for our efforts in bringing peace and stability to that country.

The sad fact that we had to battle our own government to be allowed to firstly accept the medal is bad enough, seeing as the Australians and New Zealand veterans got an almost immediate nod from Her Majesty, not only to receive it BUT also to wear it. We however have been slighted and in some written communications and answers maligned since it was announced that we could receive it.

We, the British veteran of this only successful war in modern history, are now locked in another long drawn out battle for the same rights of our Australian and New Zealand brothers in arms, that of, to pin on our medal and step out into the world with the knowledge that we earned it and with our government and most importantly, Her Majesty's, permission to do so!

With the help of yourself and that of the BBC. the public and civil servants and the members of the British government are now learning the sad but true facts of the shabby treatment that we have had to endure to bring a correct and just ending to this issue.

It seems to me that Her Majesty was ill informed and we have been jerked around by a select few who continue to hide behind a wall of beaurocratic claptrap and nonsense. The answers we get to our questions are never to the point but full of if's and or but's...

I think perhaps that a program should be aired live, question and answer between a member of the government and a member of the Fight for the PJM committee http://www.fight4thepjm.org/ and let the public see what sort of mean spirited officialdom we are dealing with.

Thank you so much for all your help so far and we, every veteran of this conflict thank you for your continuing support

Keith J Frape.
Ex. Life Guards. Malaysia 1966 -68.
Now residing in South Carolina. USA.

Post Keith Frape 
Jock
If keith served in or on the Malay Peninsula for at least 30 days before the 11th August 1966,then he is entitled to the GSM 1962 Malay Peninsula. All he needs to do is write in to the MOD medal office at RAF Innsworth,showing proof of service records and evidence that he and his unit were in or on the Malay Peninsula for at least 30 days prior to the 11th August 1966. Back in the 1960`s as with Captains of RN ships they never bothered to register their units or ships that would have qualified for the GSM 1962. At least Keith should give it a try.

Jimbo
Ex RN

Post Re: To Solent Radio from Keith Frape 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
[b]Keith Frape has written this brilliant bit of lobbying to Jo Palmer....a

"I think perhaps that a program should be aired live, question and answer between a member of the government and a member of the Fight for the PJM committee http://www.fight4thepjm.org/ and let the public see what sort of mean spirited officialdom we are dealing with.

Thank you so much for all your help so far and we, every veteran of this conflict thank you for your continuing support

Keith J Frape.
Now residing in South Carolina. USA."

First - Keith ... that is just about one of the best lobbying letters it has been my pleasure to read.

Second - I volunteer to face the barstools. Can't wait.

Third, to Jock ... thanks for posting Keith's brilliant letter.

Barry

Post Re: To Solent Radio from Keith Frape 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Keith Frape has written this brilliant bit of lobbying to Jo Palmer....and he throws down an interesting gauntlet in his penultimate sentence...one, which I personally will lay 'even money', that no Government spokesperson will have the necessary intestinal fortitude to pick up!!!

I think perhaps that a program should be aired live, question and answer between a member of the government and a member of the Fight for the PJM committee http://www.fight4thepjm.org/ and let the public see what sort of mean spirited officialdom we are dealing with.

Keith J Frape.
Now residing in South Carolina. USA.

Wouldn't that be interesting Very Happy

Post Keith does it again! 
Not content to rest upon his laurels with his letter to Jo Palmer....Keith Frape has also sent the following to Jo's colleague Julian Clegg...
(Posted here at Keiths request)

Dear Mr Clegg.
First of all may I thank you for listening to and helping us, the veterans of a very successful war fought over many years, in and around the Jungles of what is now Malaysia.
Thousands of men and women are thrilled to see the Malaysian Government offer this wonderful medal acknowledging the service and in some cases the lives of our servicemen.
It is a sad fact that we have had to enlist the help of good people such as yourself to bring public awareness to the sorry state of affairs and problems we are being forced to deal with, in order to eventually wear our medal in public with the permission of Her Majesty.

As I live in the USA I do not have local representation, however I have written numerous e. mails to members of various Civil Servants and government officials and received nothing but waffle and written statements that lead me to believe none of them actually have one concrete fact supporting their position against us obtaining our goal.

So sir, I rely on you and your access to the airwaves to air our plight on our behalf and for this I cannot thank you enough.

As I mentioned to another, perhaps you could challenge the government to produce a suitable spokesperson for a LIVE on the air, one on one answer and question segment with a member of the Fight for the PJM Committee, may I suggest perhaps Mr. Barry Fleming. http://www.fight4thepjm.org/

It may prove for all to hear and or see, that the bogus fiction constantly thrown around as answers is exactly that their case is based on fiction, not fact.
Certainly not on pre existing rules and or regulations.

One can only hope that such a meeting would ever take place, but I won't place money on that.

Many thanks for all you do and your continuing help in our cause.

Keith J Frape.
Ex Life Guards.
Malaysia, 1966-68.
Now residing in the USA.
http://www.fight4thepjm.org/

Post Re: Keith does it again! 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Not content to rest upon his laurels with his letter to Jo Palmer....Keith Frape has also sent the following to Jo's colleague Julian Clegg...

Thanks Jock - that's a brilliant letterfrom Keith

Such wonderful support is bringing its reward! Read the latest (see 8th Feb item) at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9397#9397.

PS Please keep writing, emailing, texting and phoning ... let the BBC know how you feel about this ludicrous situation. Contact details are on that page.

Post Re: Keith Frape 
jimbo wrote:
Jock
If keith served in or on the Malay Peninsula for at least 30 days before the 11th August 1966,then he is entitled to the GSM 1962 Malay Peninsula. All he needs to do is write in to the MOD medal office at RAF Innsworth,showing proof of service records and evidence that he and his unit were in or on the Malay Peninsula for at least 30 days prior to the 11th August 1966. Back in the 1960`s as with Captains of RN ships they never bothered to register their units or ships that would have qualified for the GSM 1962. At least Keith should give it a try.

Jimbo
Ex RN

I am a little confused here. I thought that the eligibility period for this medal/clasp for those serving on the Malay Penisular during Confrontation was from around August 64 to June 65.

Can anyone confirm that.

Post Re: Keith Frape 
LaurieB wrote:
I am a little confused here. I thought that the eligibility period for this medal/clasp for those serving on the Malay Penisular during Confrontation was from around August 64 to June 65.

Can anyone confirm that.

Yes - on land on the peninsula the GSM finished in June 1965. Certain Naval and Air Force personnel on ops at sea and in the air around and above the coast of the peninsula remained eligible for the Malay Peninsula clasp until the end of Confrontation in 1966.

Post Re: BLING, OTHER MEDALS AND THE PJM BATTLE 
Tom wrote:
Dear Veterans,

Tom,

Thank you for your post.

I was interested in some of your references, particularly to the RRF. I am writing a book about the Royal Fusiliers - WWI vintage. It was my family's regiment.

I would mention that the PJM has nothing whatsoever to do with Risk and Rigour. In any event, the quantity of ammunition expended is not generally seen as a sign of successful operations - indeed, the reverse is often the case. The Malaya-Borneo campaigns were won on the basis of protecting life and working with the local people. Those operations remain the only successful outcome in a war on terror and aggression on that scale and the tactics used there are regarded as the only hope for some sort of positive outcome in Iraq (see references to the Oil Spot Strategy on this web site).

As for 'gong chasers', I would mention that the PJM has already been awarded and accepted so there is no question of PJMers gong-chasing.

But thank you for your support for the Fight4thePJM campaign ... which is what this web site all about.

Barry

Post No respect 
Pete
I think young Tom needs one of your rather constructive replies !.

Post GSM 1962 Malay Peninsula 
LaurieB/BarryF
Barry is right ! sorry if i have caused any confusion. I qualified for my GSM Malay Peninsula clasp, serving in the RN for 30 days or more in the operational waters around Malay Peninsula/Singapore between 17th August 1964 and August 1966.

Jimbo

Post A balance 
Please note that each of us is entitled to an opinion.

But we are here to discuss the right to wear the PJM - not opinions per se.

So if an opinion is not directly relevant to the campaign, it will be zapped in order to leave room for those that are.

In that context, I have sent one correspondent a Private Message asking him to edit a post part of which could be construed as a personal attack on a member of this Forum.

Many thanks,

admin

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next