Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Medal Mounting
Post Medal Mounting 
My knowledge of the rules governing Medal Mounting is non-existent. Having seen various photographs of fellow PJMers wearing their medals, there are some who have them "Court Mounted" and some have them "Swing Mounted".
Not wishing to introduce even more controversy regarding the wearing of our Honourable Medal, I asked the retired Master Tailor from the Royal Household, Mr John Southern, for his guidance. Having spoken with him this morning, he gave me his kind permission to publish his reply to my query. He answered ::

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I know all about the Pingat Jasa Medal. Dress Regulations for the wearing of medals states:-

Medals can be worn court mounted at the discretion of the Commanding Officer, but no cost should fall upon the public purse. In other words you cannot get them paid for under the Unit Tailoring Contract.

Medals on retirement become the property of the individual awarded them and may be worn in any style they wish – so court mount for you it is.

Regards,

John Southern
Master Tailor

C & J Medals
14 Fairford Road, Tilehurst, Reading RG31 6QB
Tel / Fax: 0118 942 5356
www.cjmedals.co.uk"

My medals will be sent to this small family company for mounting - they have done work for me before, and they come very highly recommended.

Just thought you might like to know !!!!

Tony

I too have had dealings with CJ Medals and I also recommend them.

I too know John Southern but he is wrong about Court Mounting and the public purse. Household Troops ie those who serve in London District (and in Edinburgh) on public duties are obliged to have their medals court mounted by order and therefore they are paid for out of the public purse. Troops elswhere can have them court mounted if their Commanding Officer allows it but at their own expense. My unit had it's own tailor who was also an ex Guards stitch and his workshop was in the next office to mine in the 'Q' stores of a London unit.

John

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1