Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Is this the way Veterans should be treated
Absolutely indefensible... a total bloody disgrace. Just being a proud Gurkha, and a VC to boot, more that qualifies this stalwart for every benefit we can give him, unlike some others we could mention...

Signed the petition today

Yours Aye

Arthur

After over 19000 signatures to the petition in 7 days, the Gurkha VC winner Mr. Tul Bahdur Pun has been grated permanent status in the UK. It is nice to see that for once decency has prevailed. Lets hope this veteran receives all the treatment and care that he deserves.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=459298&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Post Gurkha VC 
Frankly, I see nothing to be grateful for; this circumstance should never have arisen.
RE the DM article, it certainly doesn't "open the flood gates"! ..........He (Liam Byrne) added;
" There has always been scope to grant settlement in the UK to ex-Gurkhas who have retired
before July 1997, and who do not meet the immigration rules (note "rules", not law!). As on
this occasion, discretion may be exercised on a case by case basis. We have also taken into
account his current medical condition". This is not what was required by the Petition - a blanket
authority for all Gurkhas! The above sentence gives civil servants the grounds to refuse, to
obfuscate, manipulate regulations etc, and perhaps involve the Foreign and Cabinet Offices(!)
we have been there. I haven't given the CS this reputation - they have earned this distrust and
cynicism themselves over the years. [discretion=get-out clause=control]

As for Flood gates, well, the GWT look after about 10.000 pensioners/widows (WWII and after),
and taking those who are settled in the UK since 1997 and others who may not wish to come to the
UK the numbers probably would not exceed 1 weeks' ferryloads of legal and illegal immigrants, if that,
from Eastern Europe and various parts of Africa.

After thought; did Reid order the CS's to effect the change or the "Home Secretary and I have reviewed....?
a slightly different CS aspect of what happened! Anyway, if it is "discretionary", why didn't they use discretion
in the first place instead of causing a public outcry?

Last edited by GLOman on Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Gurkha VC 
Re above. Liam Byrne is of course the Minister for Immigration.
However my view of the CS is unchanged because Ministers usually
take regard of their CS advice which is why I think it was an order
from John Reid and not a "review"!

I know why they didn't use their discretion in the first place - foresight
and common sense have no place in their Departmental ethos!

Post Mr Tul Bahadur Pun VC. 
Hopefully all the bullshit in this case is now sorted, including in Nepal, and that this treasure of a man will be transported to the UK as gently as possible, and as soon as possible. Let us hope that he also gets a good billet amongst people he will be able to feel truly at home with.......old soldiers preferably.

MB

Last edited by MB on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tul Bahadur Pun V.C. 
These words from Kipling’s 'The Last of The Light Brigade' seem somehow appropriate:

There were thirty million English who talked of England's might,
There were twenty broken troopers who lacked a bed for the night.
They had neither food nor money, they had neither service nor trade;
They were only shiftless soldiers, the last of the Light Brigade.

They felt that life was fleeting; they knew not that art was long,
That though they were dying of famine, they lived in deathless song.
They asked for a little money to keep the wolf from the door;
And the thirty million English sent twenty pounds and four!

Be interesting to see just how long it'll be before Tul Bahadur Pun V.C. actually lands in England and receives his truly just rewards...

Gurkha Army Ex-Servicemen's site

http://www.gaeso.org.uk

Hamish

Post Gurkhas - British Citizenship 
I see (also in NMBVA Forum) that some believe that the only restriction now to
ex Gurkha servicmen retired before July 1997 is purely financial.

I beieve that this is not so.

Of course the ability to pay the fare,rent accommodation and maintain one's personal upkeep will always be a factor in emigration/immigration. Inability to maintain one's self could be an important consideration in cases where discretion is needed in respect of Immigration Applications (see below).

The Home Office, Immigration Department are the only authority for visits or permanent residence in the UK.
Not Wikipedia, Newspapers or ex-Service Associations. Ex-Service Associations may wish to sponsor individuals
on a basis of urgent need, that of course is up to them.

Page 8 of the Wikipedia/Gurkha Article, last pargraph "In July 2006, the British authorities granted full British citizenship to all Nepalese and its dependants serving the British army during its stays in the occupied territories namely Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and among other former territories, entitling them a full privilege to stay and work in the United Kingdom. According to the [presumably UK Government] press secretary approximately there are 140.000 eligible to application [to apply]. Applications can be obtained on the Home Office Immigration website".

Immigration Minister Liam Byrne.....(he added) "There has always been scope to grant settlement in the UK who have retired before July 1997 and who DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS in the immigration rules. AS ON THIS OCCASION, [Tul Bahadur Pun] discretion may be exercised on a case by case basis". Discretion=control.

It is not therefore an unlimited authority taking into consideration the territorial qualifications required above and the use of discretion by the Immigration authorities which allows the possibility of rejection on whatever grounds the civil service immigration officers see fit in their interpretation of the "rules".

Post Now a Gurkha Falklands VICTIM of Immigration rules! 
Evil or Very Mad Another Gurkha has fallen foul of the Immigration Authorities;
Honest, though I hate it, I really thought at the time of Liam Byrne's
statement that we would be in for more of the same bollocks (I make
no apology). If you haven't signed the Downing Street petition yet
there is still bags of time - DEADLINE 17th October 2007 - It is still going.
It appears that it will take another Daily Mail campaign and more fuss before
"Mr Liam Byrne and the Home Secretary review this case". I note the
Foreign Office are involved this time - will it be long before all our "Old mates"
are on the case and "Phoney Dick" will be answering all the letters?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Please note; the number of signatures is now 22,996. I wonder if those with PCs
could email friends, for whom they have email addresses, to "sign-on"?

Post The loyal Gurkha who's been refused medical treatment 
The loyal Gurkha who's been refused medical treatment in Britain... because he can't afford the £500 visa fee

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1051124/The-loyal-Gurkha-whos-refused-medical-treatment-Britain--afford-500-visa-fee.html

Another disgraceful action by HMG

Hamish

My comments have been added to the article (unless it is moderated, which is likely to happen.

I have also done a "copy & paste" to my local MP.

Phredd

Post Gurkhas need strong ties to stay in UK, court told 
Nepalese Gurkhas who fought with the British army but retired before their regimental headquarters moved to the UK from Hong Kong in 1997, do not have strong ties to the country and have no right to settle in it, a Home Office lawyer told a judge in the high court yesterday.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/18/nepal.immigrationpolicy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/sep/17/immigrationpolicy.military

The attitude of the Home office on this matter is a bloody disgrace

Hamish

I have just seen this post on The RAF Forum and thought how apt [thanks to Gus Turnbull]

With thanks to Frederick Forsyth for making me laugh before 9am (Daily Express Friday, January 23 2009).
Referring to MOD pointyheads - "Even if the figures of what the Gurkhas would cost us were accurate,which they are not, the entire Regiment would cost us less than the recliners in which the paper-shufflers rest their useless recta".
I like the term "useless recta" it can be applied across the board to various institutions that I can think of.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2