Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
A Report and Images from the Merdeka Celebrations in KL
Post A Report and Images from the Merdeka Celebrations in KL 
The 50th Anniversary of Merdeka - Kuala Lumpur 2007

In August 2007 a group of British veterans returned to the country they helped to protect some forty years ago. They received a stunning welcome and it was an unforgettable trip for all concerned.

In the context of these uplifting celebrations which are so special for all the people of Malaysia, and for the veterans who fought beside them to defend their newly won independence, it would be churlish to reflect on the staggering contrast between the generosity of spirit demonstrated in KL as opposed to the mean-spirited atmosphere in London where members of the British civil service and government break the Military Covenant and treat British veterans and the Pingat Jasa Malaysia with contempt.

Let us instead celebrate the success of Malaysia. We were there at their beginning ... a small group of survivors were there in the summer of 2007 to celebrate with the people of a country that has succeeded in developing a safe and secure, and prosperous, environment for its people.

A Royal Marine was there as well. He was there in troubled times. He was in Kuching when Malaysia celebrated its 5th Anniversary of Merdeka. He returned 45 years later to join with these wonderful people to celebrate their 50th Anniversary of Independence.

Read Terry Warner's report and see his images ... will you be as moved as we were?

Go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p1.htm

Post Re: A Report and Images from the Merdeka Celebrations in KL 
Nice one Terry, you did us all proud. I well remember the'if I was only 30 years younger ' quote. Mind you 40 years may have been closer to the m Very Happy ark

Owen Lawrence

I'm sad that I wasn't present on that August day in KL.

"To Terry:

...Grateful thanks and congratulations on producing this wonderful record of what was undoubtedly an unforgettable trip...you have permitted those of us, not privileged to accompany you on this occasion, an opportunity to enjoy the experience vicariously.

To the Malaysian hosts:

...Thank you for so generously honouring our comrades in such magnificent style...there are thousands more of us, all over the globe, who remember your nation and it's peoples with great affection....Your generosity and courtesy do not go unnoticed.

To the UK Government and HD Committee:

...'Least said - soonest mended!'

Jock Fenton
Chairman: Fight4thePJM Association"

'Jock' Fenton wrote:
"To Terry:

...Grateful thanks and congratulations on producing this wonderful record of what was undoubtedly an unforgettable trip...you have permitted those of us, not privileged to accompany you on this occasion, an opportunity to enjoy the experience vicariously.

To the Malaysian hosts:

...Thank you for so generously honouring our comrades in such magnificent style...there are thousands more of us, all over the globe, who remember your nation and it's peoples with great affection....Your generosity and courtesy do not go unnoticed.

To the UK Government and HD Committee:

...'Least said - soonest mended!'

Jock Fenton
Chairman: Fight4thePJM Association"

Well said, Jock.

"soonest mended" ... does that refer to the "sew-and-sews" in Whitehall?

Post Report on Merdeka KL.. and sew and sews 
Or Barry, in the words of the late lamented John Smith MP when someone standing behind him at one of the bars of Whitehall noticed he had split the arse of his pants...."Look a little more closely and you'll notice the split in the Cabinet."

I'm sure you will not mind following that, Terry, or accepting my heartfelt thanks for your wonderful photos and words from KL. I was there from 57 til 59 and just about caught the end of the original Merdeka celebrations.

MB.

Post Merdeka 
I have just read Terry's report on the events in KL last month and must admit to a lump in the throat and a tear in the eye. The generous hospitality and welcome from the Malaysians speaks volumes for their honour and sense of decency. There are people not a stone's throw from the parliament buildings here who would do well to learn form this example of how to treat those who have fought the ultimate fight. Reading of the way my fellow Veterans were treated by their Host was made more significant by reflecting it back on the way our own people treat us. Terry says "wear your PJM with pride". I shall do just that. After all, we all need to take pride in something and it is not possible to do that with shower of incompetent and self serving numpties who currently reside in the corridors of of power in this once proud nation. My thanks to Terry for his efforts and my thanks to the Malaysians for making us all, whether we attended in KL or not, feel like honourable Veterans who did their best for a just cause.
GerryL

Post Re: Merdeka 
GerryL wrote:
My thanks to Terry for his efforts and my thanks to the Malaysians for making us all, whether we attended in KL or not, feel like honourable Veterans who did their best for a just cause.
GerryL

Indeed, Gerry.

It makes a change from being called a 'disaffected veteran' by dysfunctional civil servants who label our PJM as being not up to standard.

Barry

I have only one complaint - I wasn't there.

I wish that I had been.

Once again I have been honoured by the Malaysian nation and feel I regret for not being where I was welcome.
    I have read the reports, seen the pictures and felt the warmth of a nation during the Merdeka Celebrations.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now to the home front.
    I would to say thank you to all the Admin team, Moderators and all those in the backroom for giving us this site.
    Gentlemen and Ladies, I thank you, one and all.
    To many names for this old mind to remember but you know who you are.
    THANK YOU.

Phredd (In Arduis Fidelis)

Post Two new pages of Images 
BarryF wrote:
The 50th Anniversary of Merdeka - Kuala Lumpur 2007

In August 2007 a group of British veterans returned to the country they helped to protect some forty years ago. They received a stunning welcome and it was an unforgettable trip for all concerned.

A Royal Marine was there as well. He was there in troubled times. He was in Kuching when Malaysia celebrated its 5th Anniversary of Merdeka. He returned 45 years later to join with these wonderful people to celebrate their 50th Anniversary of Independence.

Read Terry Warner's report and see his images ... will you be as moved as we were?

We have posted two new pages of Images.

Go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p1.htm ... the two new pages are listed on the Left Menu,

or go to

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p2.htm

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p3.htm

Post Re: Two new pages of Images 
BarryF wrote:

Go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p1.htm ... the two new pages are listed on the Left Menu,

or go to

These pages have been updated - there is a wonderful message from Terry on the last page.

What a marvellous summary of a truly great trip and the photos, when printed off, will go well in the album alongside mine.

Thank you very much indeed.

BarryF wrote:
BarryF wrote:

or go to

These pages have been updated - there is a wonderful message from Terry on the last page.

And here is a brilliant photograph of a staunch Fight4thePJM supporter and his wife at the PJM celebrations at the Shangri-La, Kuala Lumpur. Both Rob Morris and his wife, Eira, were both very proud to be there on that momentous occasion.

Take note of the welcome beads and the 'We can go anywhere pass' issued by the Malaysian MOD, around their necks.
Bit of a contrast, eh ?

Owen Lawrence

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next