Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
A Report and Images from the Merdeka Celebrations in KL
Post Re: Two new pages of Images 
owen lawrence wrote:
Take note of the welcome beads and the 'We can go anywhere pass' issued by the Malaysian MOD, around their necks.
Bit of a contrast, eh ?

Owen Lawrence

Indeed, Owen.

And it was heartening to see that Rob was wearing his Fight4thePJM Lapel Pin.

Barry

Post More images from those memorable celebrations! 
We have posted more Images and these pages have been updated - there is a wonderful message from Terry on the last page:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_Merdeka_2007_p3.htm

"To all on the list .................... the ICING on a terrific visit.

What a shame no one from the MoD or the misrable lot from the HD Committee were there to see how it was done.

500 people at the Gala lunch including high ranking Malaysian government people, military personel, and 58 (including 3 ladies) very, very proud Malaya & Borneo veterans. The entertainment by the Cultural "arm" of the Malaysian Defence Force was outstanding.

The Prime Minister, for those of you who were unfortunate not to be there, told the guests of the struggles of the jungle warfare and concluded by asking us "to wear the PINGAT JASA MALAYSIA with pride" ..... the MoD should have heard our response! Along with this photo that I've sent you and the Pingat Jasa Malaysia in its magnificent presentation box ............ Meet a proud man.

Now for the down side ... the British Embassy ... what a farce. Neither The Prince Andrew nor the High Commissioner came to speak with us. I, personally, think this was a SNUB.

Your's in friendship,

Terry Warner............former Royal Marines"

Post Re: More images from those memorable celebrations! 
Thank you again for your brilliant coverage of this inspiring event Terry...those of us unable to be in attendance will be forever indebted to you for permitting us to share in the record of events.

As to your comment:
Quote:
Now for the down side ... the British Embassy ... what a farce. Neither The Prince Andrew nor the High Commissioner came to speak with us. I, personally, think this was a SNUB.

For UK dignitaries to studiously ignore their own veterans at such an event and in the manner you describe, is simply disgraceful and exacerbates the insult already offered by the trivialising of the PJM...in addition, it demonstrates quite clearly that the only thing important to them is that 'they' retain the unassailable right to interpret the 'Honours System' (so called!) in their own self-serving way.

BarryF wrote:

I am appalled. It is disgraceful that the Foreign Office and the Royal Family should not take a few minutes to say hello to the men and women who served - many as conscripts.

I wonder who will head The Commonwealth when the current incumbent no longer holds the post.

Anyway, on another positive note, I'm still enjoying Terry's report and images that celebrate 'our '(Malaysia and M-B veterans) success in protecting freedom.

Barry

[quote="BarryF"]
BarryF wrote:

If we are talking about the visit to the British High Commission in KL, to be fair and as far as I could see, Prince Andrew spoke to everyone who wanted to speak to him, including the ex SAS man who greeted him with "Heyup boss, hows yer mum"
I must admit, he didn't get round to everyone, including me, but I didn't feel particulaly put out by it, I was to busy eating the cucumber sandwiches to care.

Owen

owen lawrence wrote:

If we are talking about the visit to the British High Commission in KL, to be fair and as far as I could see, Prince Andrew spoke to everyone who wanted to speak to him,

That's very good news, Owen.

It's saved me a stamp.

Barry

Post STAMP 
Wonderful aside Barry....
Made me laugh anyway, perhaps cause I know it's true....
Terry.

Post Images from the Merdeka celebrations 
I am glad you all had a great time and were well received at these celebrations. I was in Malaysia in July 2006 and called into the Ashby Road Camp Ipoh. I went to where to the LAD area was when I was stationed there as a REME armourer attached to the Royal Dragoons in the early 60s. I was surprised that everything was still the same after 45 years. Even the rest of the camp was much the same. Unfortunately the senior officer was off camp at the time and the young officer I spoke to would not let me on the camp or take photos. I understood his predicament and reluctantly accepted his decision. It was still quite an experience though to be back there all those years later.
Probably been a different story had I been there this year.
Walter Crookes

To Terry, thanks mate for an excellent group of shots of our Merdeka visit. Yes it was a fantastic experience all round. I went to Kuching for a week before meeting up with the main group in KL. Everywhere that I went I was treated with warmth and respect, even by the immigration officers at KL and Kuching . Maybe the fact that I greeted them with my little bit of Malay helped?! I had forgotten how friendly the Malaysians are. First class service everywhere we went,clean hotels and restaurants. Excellent food and Tiger beer! The Malaysian defence staff together with Col Paul Edwards and his Brit staff were superb and could not have been more helpful. Thank you Malaysia. "Malaysia Boleh" and yes I wore my Fight 4 the Right lapel badge at all times.

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post A report and images from the Merdeka celebrations in KL 
Hi Stan,
Thank you I look forward to viewing these photos. Have been impressed with some of your already included photos.
Walter Crookes

Post British High Commission KL 
I'm afraid Owen I must take you to task over the visit............The Prince Andrew did not speak to any as I saw of it.....Malaysia Tv3 were waiting to film him speaking to any one....The Lady reporter asked me when he'd come out .....I asked Martin Davis the navy Lt/Cdr. and he told me this.....Oh he's gone.

Now. Malaysia Tv3 sent thier London based reporter out there to make a programme specifically about us,
I had a phone call from her approx. a week after we got home. Her main Question was......Why did he not come out, as we all had a long "lecture" about not using flash, not getting to close etc.etc.

She also indicated that she and the camera crew would be told of his/thier appearance...this did not happen. I will not express here what she thought about it all.

Luckily, they [ Tv3] were able to film Ron Blain recieving our gift from Sir Garry.

Mind you.....this all fades into insignificance, when lead by Sir Garry, we ALL wore our Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal on british soil.

To the MoD and HD committee I still say...........GET A LIFE> Very Happy

Terry.

[/u]

Post Re: A Report and Images from the Merdeka Celebrations in KL 
owen lawrence wrote:
Nice one Terry, you did us all proud. I well remember the'if I was only 30 years younger ' quote. Mind you 40 years may have been closer to the m Very Happy ark

Owen Lawrence

Oh I don't know Owen.........Shera was in her Ummmmmm Errrrrrr, so 8 years would have been OK by us.

She said so!!!!!

I have a couple of photos of Prince Andrew speaking to Veterans.
Paul

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2