Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Skin Cancer
The long and the short of this is that if you served in the far, middle or near east and you develop skin cancer, contact your Legion welfare officer to look into the possibilities of laying a claim at the door of the MOD.

John

Post Re: Skin Cancer 
owen lawrence wrote:
StanW wrote:
I should like to remind everyone here that getting 'sun burnt' in the far east was considered to be a 'self inflicted wound' punishable then by detention and not, as is now the case, by compensation!

Stan

I never got sunburnt, but I was exposed to the sun and obviously it nearly killed me and still could of course within the 5 year survivability rate. You couldn't wear suntan lotion in the 'Ullu' the smell gave you away.
Its not called compensation its called a war pension and I posted to give other affected lads widow's to perhaps, if they had the right sort of cancer, of course, to claim a few quid.
Oh, by the way, I could have got it in the Middle East and there of course the sand sticks to the lotion, very gritty.

Owen

I have had several skin cancers removed and I have often wondered if this could have been caused due to our mode of official working dress when we were serving in hot countries. As I remember it the official working dress in base camp was shorts, boots and socks and jungle hat until 1800hrs when we changed into long slacks and long sleaved shirt.
Ken

The long and the short of this is that if you served in the far, middle or near east and you develop skin cancer, contact your Legion welfare officer to look into the possibilities of laying a claim at the door of the MOD.

John

Yes John.........I had considered doing just that ..........but I have lived in South Australia for 34 years so I think my skin problems would have been due more to that than to to my army service......however, had I lived in the UK since my service ended I would most certainly put in a claim and I am sure there must be many hundreds of ex vets who could and should lay legitimate claims like Owen has.

Post Skin Cancer 
I know that this post has nothing to do with the PJM, I just feel that what I have to share may be of some use to all you old jungle fighters out there.
Last year I discovered, more by luck than judgement, that I had a particularly nasty kind of skin cancer on my face. To cut a long story short, the NHS were brilliant and very quickly I was operated upon and treated and was told that I was lucky as I was within a couple of months of it turning really nasty.
The point of the story is that while I was at the hospital, I saw a notice from the Vets Agency and someone, I should imagine an ex squaddie, had written on it, in chinagraph, a note to the effect that if you have served in the far/middle east and have had skin cancer, contact the Vets Agency.
I did, more in hope than expectation and within a couple of weeks I had had a medical and shortly afterwards a nice little cheque. The most important thing was though, that my particular cancer is caused by overexposure to the sun in your teen and 20's which manifests itself in your 60's, so I hit the criteria perfectly and I have a letter telling me that if it comes back and I die from it my wife is entitled to a pension.
I have lost a mate who died from skin cancer so it's to late for him and his widow, so if you are not sure, contact the Vets Agency, you may be surprised at how helpfull they can be.
The number I have for the Agency is 0800 169 2277.
By the way, in good sunshine I now look like a bloody pirate.

Owen

Last edited by owen lawrence on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post SKIN CANCER 
I think that I can safely speak for all, Owen. We are all glad that we didn't lose you to skin cancer, and that you are still alive and kicking, to add your own contributions to our website.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post Skin Cancer. 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen lawrence wrote:
contact the Vets Agency, you may be surprised at how helpfull they can be.Owen

Sounds like you have had more success with a UK Government Agency than ex UK Vets have had with the UK Ministry of Pensions, who have frozen all "ages pensions" for ex UK Vets now living in Canada New Zealand and Australia.

Maggots.

Post Skin Cancer 
Well spotted Mike. Having said that, I have a large 'blob' where my muscular stomach used to be. Could I claim for that? More likely to be the case, the MO will reckon I had too many Tigers and San Migs.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Arthur R-S wrote:
Well spotted Mike. Having said that, I have a large 'blob' where my muscular stomach used to be. Could I claim for that? More likely to be the case, the MO will reckon I had too many Tigers and San Migs.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Arthur, Medicine and duty then mate.

Owen

Post Medicine and Duty 
Your right there Owen.

You Aye

Arthur

Post Blobs. 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Skin Cancer 
""

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
StanW wrote:
I should like to remind everyone here that getting 'sun burnt' in the far east was considered to be a 'self inflicted wound' punishable then by detention and not, as is now the case, by compensation!

Stan

I never got sunburnt, but I was exposed to the sun and obviously it nearly killed me and still could of course within the 5 year survivability rate. You couldn't wear suntan lotion in the 'Ullu' the smell gave you away.
Its not called compensation its called a war pension and I posted to give other affected lads widow's to perhaps, if they had the right sort of cancer, of course, to claim a few quid.
Oh, by the way, I could have got it in the Middle East and there of course the sand sticks to the lotion, very gritty.

Owen

Post Skin Cancer 
I lost both my mother and my sister to cancer, so I have a pretty good idea of the mechanical process of cancer. It is a terrible afflication, and while I might joke about the size of my fore and aft line, I can sympathise with anyone who suffers from this dibilitating problem... so Owen, don't for one moment, think that anyone takes your situation lightly... you just get better and we will do the worrying for you.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1