Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Spot the Difference- How Australians Approach Foreign Awards
Post Spot the Difference- How Australians Approach Foreign Awards 
When Malaysia asked to present a medal to British citizens for helping to protect their newly independent Nation, the British Government immediately said "Not on your Nellie, we can't have Johhny Foreigner medals next to British Medals. We've got rules about that sort of thing (well, we will have when we've re-written them to be able to reject this latest outrageous offer)".

OK, I paraphrase (I'm allowed to cos I was in the Paras), but you get my drift.

Now read how the Australians deal with this situation:

"Accepting a foreign award

Australian citizens may accept and wear foreign awards when a government with which Australia maintains diplomatic relations makes an offer.

Australians may also accept and wear foreign awards when an offer is made by an agency of the United Nations or by other international organisations recognised diplomatically by Australia.

An offer is usually made through diplomatic channels to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Permission for formal acceptance and wearing of foreign awards is given by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Prime Minister or the Minister responsible for Australian honours."

Spot the Civil Servant getting his oar in? NO!
Spot an unelected QUANGO dictating illegal terms to citizens? NO!
Spot a secretive process like the British Imperial Honours System's "Honours in Confidence"? NO!

Spot a democratic and open system graciously ensuring that friendly Foreign countries are not snubbed? YES!

Isn't it time Britain entered the 21st Century? What world do these dinosaurs live in?

Read all about it at http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/foreign.cfm and wonder why our politicians allow this civil service-run dictatorship to continue. Why? Because they're afraid to take them on. We're not, though.

Barry

Last edited by BarryF on Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Re: Spot the Difference- How Australians Approach Foreign Aw 
Please note the sub-heading in the Australian Government's document:

IT'S AN HONOUR - Australia Celebrating Australians

What a contrast to this buttock-clenching, tight-lipped, mean-spirited, British Government and British Civil Service!

Heh Ho! Some of our chaps did rather well out in Malaya (where's that then?). Can't remember what they did (I was at not born/at school at the time and don't understand military stuff anyway cos I'm a committed civvy). Anyway, we've gotta Scotch this news. Next thing you know these upstart British citizens will be celebrating their success and that's something up with which we will not put!

Britain Celebrating Britons? Not going to happen. If we started that sort of thing, where will it lead? To retaining loyal Scottish Regiments. To providing Gurkha soldiers who have served with Britons with a decent pension. To ... err ... having to accept a Johnny Foreigner medal from time to time. To British veterans holding their heads up high (and we all know where that sort of upstart behaviour leads to - they'll spot the writing on the wall!).

Oh yes ... and if those veterans (the one's who survived and are costing us money in pensions, how dare they) get a gong then we'll have to reduce our quota for our celebs and one-hit wonder sportspeople, and then there are our 'specials' gongs ... if we don't sell enough of those we'll not get elected.

And so it goes on.

Barry

On reading this I asked myself, WHY is this happening. WHO is responsible for such an attitude. WHY has our sovereign deserted us, and above all is it really more of an advantage to our country to win a cricket match weilding a wooden bat than to put your life on the line in a foreign country. No wonder our armed forces are struggling for recruits - the new Scottish Regiment is 600 short. Who would want to serve a country with a government like ours. I personally feel betrayed and my loyalty to my Queen and country is being stretched to its limit.

Why don't the fools who have got themselves into this mess just throw out the old rules and install the 'Australian Rules' which are much simpler - even civil servants could understand them.

Post Re: Spot the Difference- How Australians Approach Foreign Aw 

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
On reading this I asked myself, WHY is this happening. WHO is responsible for such an attitude. WHY has our sovereign deserted us, and above all is it really more of an advantage to our country to win a cricket match wielding a wooden bat than to put your life on the line in a foreign country. No wonder our armed forces are struggling for recruits - the new Scottish Regiment is 600 short. Who would want to serve a country with a government like ours. I personally feel betrayed and my loyalty to my Queen and country is being stretched to its limit.

Why don't the fools who have got themselves into this mess just throw out the old rules and install the 'Australian Rules' which are much simpler - even civil servants could understand them.

My friend and associate Andy asks some very pertinent questions here...which I truly wish I could answer.

The thing which I think offends me most about this situation, is the arrogant and supercilious attitude of some civil servants...who glibly 'stonewall' their way through life, knowingly providing half truths, misinformation, misinterpretation, and in some instances, downright prevarication, in answer to legitimate questions posed by people who have every right to receive an honest answer to their questions.

They routinely trot out responses citing 'longstanding Rules' ...'Rules' which are 'rules' in their opinion only! 'Rules' which have never been examined, approved, or ratified by any legal or democratic process. 'Rules' which are infinitely flexible to suit their convenience, or alternately, etched in granite to forbid any compromise which they should arbitrarily choose to deny....'Rules' in fact, which cannot even withstand a cursory comparison against the dictionary definition of the term...so called, 'Rules' which are nothing more than dictums of convenience, arbitrary and mythical standards, for 'them' to apply and for 'us' to obey.

Well, these, so called, 'rules' are going to have the light of sweet reason and public scrutiny shone upon them...and the purveyors of these 'rules' are going to be held accountable for the arrogant abuse of authority they have perpetrated.

They have made the very large mistake of defying a cardinal law of survival...they have 'poked the tiger'!

Ah, there is a spark of rebellion still left out there!!!
John

Ah, there is a spark of rebellion still left out there!!!
John

You are right on John but what is so infuriating is that 'they' still don't see it coming. Everyone, and I mean everyone, is sick to death of the state of our country and the lies, half truths, compensation claims for tax-payers money etc. Sorry, but even David, the boss of your organisation is on about climate change when he should be on about more important things - read Frederick Forsyth in the Scottish Daily Expreess to-day and you will see what I mean.
We are non-political but the attitude by government to the PJM and the discrimination and arrogant, self-opinionated attitude towards veterans in this case is just so infuriating we just have to mention government. I had better stop as I cannot see the screen for the steam. They WILL understand that we, Joe Public, will be heard and will be treated with respect and dignity.

I agree with you entirely and you should hear what I called 'Dave' to his face! Do you think that it's my Scottish blood that makes me such a rebel?

John

I agree with you entirely and you should hear what I called 'Dave' to his face! Do you think that it's my Scottish blood that makes me such a rebel?

John

Good on you John. It looks like he needs something to shake him into reality. My mother's maiden name was Ireland so you might be of the same ilk. Andy.

Andy, my family hail from Perthshire through to Fife. They had an Ironmongery business in Dunfermline in the 1800's but they spread from Scotland all over the world.

All the Fife Irelands are related and I have done a one name study on them with a one name study group, we research all Ireland's from all over the world. We have done a YDNA study on the Fife branch and it shows that they (we) are descended from the Norman (Viking) strain. At the moment the research goes back to 1540 and there is over 4500 names on it (and that is only a small number of the total) so perhaps you should let your mother know? or get me the details.

It would be great if I could get her details to study and possibley connect them into the known family details also.

Regards
John
jri2272@btconnect.com

I served in Malaya/Borneo from 1964 to 1967, with Recce Troop 40 Cdo RM,I would like to feel that we (Recce Troop) helped to win the Confrontation in some small way.I know that all the troops from all parts of the Commonwealth, paid there part in doing so,and some did not return to there home land. I did recieve a GSM from HM Goverment, I never thought that I would receive another from the Malaysian Goverment (PJM),yes we all should were it with pride, once we receive it,and the said w------, in London should have the bollocks to give us official permission to do so. A lot of men and women did there 9and 3, and have not complained about it, and for various reasons could not continue in that line of work, now and then you will see a badge on a blazer pocket,and will stop and pass the time of day with that person, we served, now it's time for HM Goverment to give the order, all Malay and Borneo Veterans one pace forward,WEAR YOUR PJM WITH PRIDE. (RM 19758)

...and with you any and all of 'Recce Tp. 40 Cdo. RM.' who may show up...you are absolutely right in what you say....we did the duty we were sent to perform (and then some!) and we will not only wear the PJM with pride...we will, one day, wear it with HM's permission!....or, alternatively, there will be Hell to pay!

I also served with 40 cdo. between 64 - 67 I was in B coy together with my twin brother.
Maybe one day we meet up and pull up some sandbags and swing the light!

Bob Brant

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst away on R n R I had a few PMs, one was asking me about the 11 men who died when their Shackleton Aircraft crashed off Sin Cowe Island in 1958, this aircraft was on an anti piracy patrol and whilst in the area was searching for a small boat that went missing.

The above relates to everything we all took part in, whether Navy, Bootie, Army or RAF, it was like a finely tuned Ferrari Racing Car where the pit crews were the best around (exception of course is the street gangs of Liverpool that can also do a complete respray in 7 seconds!)

I'm ex RAF and I am aware of several who gave their lives in order that others could survive, some of these sacrifices were also before Merdeka on August 31st 1957 where these guys are not entitled to the PJM. It is for these reasons that I MUST honour those that went before me too.

I cannot for the life of me understand how a foreign medal, on a simple issue is made so BLOODY DIFFICULT by a bunch of morons in HMG. I had the privilege to sit by Winston Churchills Graveside at Bladon Chains, Woodstock just 6 weeks ago, I sat in contemplation for 30 plus minutes and wondered what on earth the great man would have thought of this lot that is running our country today.

I mean to say we have all manner of legislation through our (once) great democracy to appeal against injustices whether it be in the UK or the EC, but we have no appeal here, absolutely none whatsoever, I repeat what a bunch of morons rule out lives.

The writing is on the wall to all, go rile them some more...........

Post Salute to a Country's Military 
"The Australian" National Newspaper.

Editorial: Our Australian of the year - The Digger

January 20, 2007

We salute our forces serving in democracy's cause

SINCE 1971, this newspaper has selected an Australian of the year, an individual, occasionally a number of people, who have helped humanity, whose epic achievements in sport or science, the arts or education, commerce or community service have earned our respect. It is always a hard selection to make. Australia is never short of men and women of great spirit, energy and ability. But the sheer size of the qualified field is not the reason we have chosen a large group this year, people personified in the august archetype of the Digger. Today we define the Digger more broadly than the Australian infantry on the Western Front in World War I, who took the name for themselves. Now the title is rightly taken by the men and women of the army, navy and air force. And this morning we honour the 2900 among them who are on active service, providing forward defence of our democracy against the threat of terror attack. They, both because of their individual achievements and sacrifice for their country, and in the way they also represent their colleagues, who are home from foreign duty, or are preparing to go, are our Australians of the Year for 2006.

Some will be surprised by our selection. The Digger is respected but the job our armed forces do is not widely understood. Nor is ours an especially martial culture. Service people have always been citizens first and foremost, rather than members of a warrior caste with values and traditions separate from civil society. And we are not a nation quick to fight or to shoot first and negotiate later. After the imperialist adventure of the Boer War, almost all our military engagements, even the controversial campaigns in Vietnam and Iraq, were undertaken to defend Australia's interests or assist our allies. And so it is today. The Digger is on active service in Sudan and Solomon Islands. The Digger helped deliver independence in East Timor and still stands ready to assist the struggling state from civil strife. And Australian forces will doubtless answer future calls for help in other countries in our region. In all these engagements, and those that may come, today's Digger acts on the great Australian tradition of defending democracy. But it is in Iraq and Afghanistan, and on the waters of the Persian Gulf, that the Digger is serving in the first global conflict of the 21st century - the war on terror. Some Australians assume we are not a terror target, despite all the evidence of foreign threat and enemies within. Others argue that Islamic terrorists, intent on establishing theocratic rule in Afghanistan and throughout the Middle East, are not interested in us. They are all wrong. The evidence of New York, London, Madrid and all the Asian and African cities that have been terror targets demonstrates that the world is at threat from these zealots. And we must confront them wherever they act, both in our own defence and to help the vast majority of Muslims, who are also their targets. That the small size of our armed forces precludes more Australian boots on the ground, especially in Afghanistan, is troubling. Even with the two new battalions the army is raising, Australia would be stretched if problems in the Pacific and Middle East required simultaneous combat commitments. But with new warships and fighter aircraft coming, the army's acquisition of US armour, and the continuing achievement of the world-beating SAS, the Australian Defence Force is capable, albeit on a limited scale, of war fighting, as well as peace keeping.

While there may not be many Diggers, they are strong in the service of just causes. And in this, today's Digger is linked to the first service people who bore the name. For years, academics have argued that the ideal of the Digger is a con, that throughout the 20th century Australians were willing mercenaries in other peoples' wars. But what such cynics always ignore is the tradition of service that has always shaped the Australian way in war. The Diggers who stopped the Germans in some of the most crucial Western Front battles in 1918 were not mercenaries but volunteers, citizen soldiers who, unlike the enemy to their front and the allied formations on their flanks, had freely chosen to serve. These Diggers did their best, in part because, in the Australian way of doing things, they did not want to let their mates down. But they also fought because they did not like the idea of what would happen to Europe and the world if the totalitarian German state were to win the war. The Diggers we honour today are much the same. They serve because it is what they are trained to do, but also because they recognise that the best way to ensure Australia's safety is to advance the cause of democracy around the world.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next