Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
MoD Medals Review - The Fight4THePJM Submission! UPDATED!

Post Lord Touhig - More stunning Support in teh Lords 
Lord Touhig said this in the Lords during a debate on the Armed Forces Bill:

"I have one final point on how we treat our veterans. Thirty-five thousand British veterans fought in the Malaysia campaign of 1955 to 1966. They were awarded the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal by the Malaysian Government. The Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals, which advises Her Majesty the Queen on these matters, said that the men should be able accept this medal but not wear it. That is a shameful way to treat these brave men, and it is an insult to the king and people of Malaysia. We should ask ourselves, after the conflicts in which we have been involved in recent years, how many Muslim countries want to honour British servicemen. Here is an opportunity to embrace their respect and affection for British servicemen. I hope that this Bill may be an opportunity for us in this House to express our anger at how the veterans of the Malaysia campaign were treated and perhaps to find ways to try to right this wrong. I look forward to exploring this further in Committee with other noble Lords to see whether we can do something a little better and show our veterans that they are not forgotten. We value them; we appreciate them. It should be more than words; there has to be action to demonstrate that."

Read all about it at:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201011/ldhansrd/text/110706-0002.htm#110706114000027

Please send this link to your MP. Thanks, Barry

Post House of Lords Touhig Speech 
OOOh Aaaaaaagh.

Presumably Lord Janvirn notes when to be absent in his diary; I wonder if his fellow peers know how much he was involved in the PJM fiasco with his mates from the Cabinet Office and DS Sec etc?

D^

Post Medal Review 
Arrived in the from my MP 2 (Caroline Nokes) 2 days ago in the post:

Please find enclosed a copy of a letter I have received from Rt Hon Andrew Robathan MP at the Ministry of Defence regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia.
Mr Robathan explains the MOD is awaiting the formal responses from various
campaign groups, one of which represents veterans from Malaysia who have made
representations to be given authority to wear the PJM. The minister explains we must await the final report before drawing any conclusions about any possible changes to the PJM.
I hope you find Mr Robathan's comments helpful.
With best wishes
Caroline Nokes MP
Encl.
“I appreciate Mr Davies* concerns regarding the medal review. It has been decided to
circulate extracts of the draft report to campaign groups along with an invitation to
submit their comments, to ensure wider consultation has been undertaken. We are
currently awaiting the formal responses from the various campaign groups. Please
assure Mr Davies that one of these groups represents veterans of the Malaysia
campaign who have made representations to be given authority to wear the PJM.
At this stage I do not believe there is a requirement to repeat the work that has already been carried out or to revisit the Terms of Reference. The Terms of Reference of the Review were set within the pledge identified in the Coalition's Programme for Government rather than an individual political party's election manifesto, who may have suggested an alternative approach to a medal review than what has been agreed when we formed a Government last year.
I am content that the review has been conducted with due diligence and propriety and that Air Vice Marshal David Murray, who is leading the review, has conducted it in a thorough and far reaching manner. I am minded to await the final report before drawing any conclusions as to whether a change to past decisions concerning the PJM should be recommended.
As a foreign award, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has the Government lead on the subject of the PJM but as a medal awarded to military personnel we considered that it should be included within the scope of the Medal Review. The PJM has been the subject of much consideration in recent years and the rules applying to its wear have been considered on several occasions by the cross-Departmental Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals (the 'HD Committee').
I hope this explains our position and is helpful. . . . . and let us talk about this in the Lobby.”

Post And let us talk about this in the Lobby. 
Kentsboro.

The above are the sweetest words any of us have read during the past 5/6 years. Tony my old mate....you are a STAR!!

Post You could Not make this up. 
Pleased find attached ' Confused, ' an account of my personal fight with the Hons Dept, to be allowed to wear the PJM .

Roy.
Former Federal Malay and Polis Di Raja Malaysia

Post Re: You could Not make this up. 
Follows wrote:
Pleased find attached ' Confused, ' an account of my personal fight with the Hons Dept, to be allowed to wear the PJM .

A great fight - and brilliant stickability, Roy.

What a complete shambles they are.

Barry

As Roy rightly states - You wouldn't read about it.

What a bunch of duffers.

Post Re: You could Not make this up. 
Ah, like the Kangaroo and the Emu bearers of our Aus Coat of Arms, aren't they? Incapable of taking a backward step. Conceptually, and in some circumstances, an admirable notion but it should always be remembered that their combined neural mass would fit comfortably into an egg-cup. Minetinkit inadequate equipment for the administration of the public polity.

Steve

What a pantomime DB of the Honours Committee could play the role of Widow Twanky without the “T”.
Paul

Post You could not make this up. 
Ref The PPN ,PJM farce. In the account, I memtioned that for one of the failed excuses to deny me my rights, the Hons Dept on 'advice' from the MoD wrongly and falsely claimed , that members of the Police Di Raja Malaysia received military homours, thus making me a Crown servant .The comedian who made this ridiculous claim about medals /awards / Polis Di Rajs Malaysia ,is not the staff of the NHS ,Home office , DEFRA , but holds a postion at Hons Dept, where you would expect he would be up to his job, where medals /awards are concerned.
The attached is the letter (part of it ) showing the foolish claim he made, about members of the Police Di Raja Malaysia receiving military honours.
Roy

Post You could not make this up 
Roy,

This Crown (clown?) Servant sought advice from MoD DS Sec. It does not surprise me at all that he acted on their advice. Procurement at MoD as proved to be a right mess;No Carriers; no aircraft (Harriers in particular); armed forces that exist only on paper - I am reminded of Der Furhers last days in WWII when fantasy took over from the reality. This applies too, to the MOD DS Sec and HDC, same blokes, who like der Furher, firmly believed that they would win, with the Reichstag collapsing on top of the bunker, they continue to issue edicts even when they are disregarded with contempt.

I have no sympathy for these people; they were advised by many of us to stop digging their hole and escape right from the beginning, sadly, for them, they were too arrogant to take notice, yet they are still digging a hole.

It looks as if DB is still co-ordinating the 'team' effort.

David

Post Re: You could not make this up. 
Follows wrote:
Ref The PPN ,PJM farce. In the account, I memtioned that for one of the failed excuses to deny me my rights, the Hons Dept on 'advice' from the MoD wrongly and falsely claimed , that members of the Police Di Raja Malaysia received military homours, thus making me a Crown servant .The comedian who made this ridiculous claim about medals /awards / Polis Di Rajs Malaysia ,is not the staff of the NHS ,Home office , DEFRA , but holds a postion at Hons Dept, where you would expect he would be up to his job, where medals /awards are concerned.
The attached is the letter (part of it ) showing the foolish claim he made, about members of the Police Di Raja Malaysia receiving military honours.
Roy

Roy,

It beggars belief.

They still do not understand the status of the PJM. See our latest Submission.

Barry

Reply to topic Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next