Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM
Post From Keith Frape in the USA 
Barry.

As usual I am unable to write on the PJM board but may I please add my heartfelt thanks and congratulations to you and the rest of the group who 'stuck to their guns' in the face of all the adversarial and beaurocratic claptrap and 'double speak'.

Sense and sound reasoning has prevailed, the wrong has been righted and those who are still able will pin the medal on and add them to the rest of their medals.

Thanks for all you have done. Sadly Jock is not here with us but I know he is smiling down on each and everyone of you.

Keith.

Last edited by BarryF on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

From a humble Malaya veteran i would like to say THANK YOU you truly are warriors.
[PINGAT KAMI-HAK KAMI] Lyn Vaughan.

With all the thanks being sent to the Committee, we the Committee, should be thanking all of you for your long standing support in the many ways in which it was freely given.

Thanks.

Brilliant JohnF, well said, we needed this backroom support and we got it, there is one thing that Servicemen never forget and that is his fellow mate it is called camaraderie, these are the people that have a spine or backbone and have given unstinted support

Thank you one and all Smile What law can we break now, Jeez it is going to be a bit mundane from now onwards Very Happy

Part 2 of the Star's article on the PJM as it appears in today's issue:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/10/29/nation/9794438&sec=nation

We must also mention Barry's office staff, who gave their all when they had to, so to Carol and Co., thank you and to Barry's researcher Pauline who greatly assisted at TNA Kew searching through those thousands of notices and was instrumental in finding the LG notice of 1968

There are also those at The Malaysian Embassy, The Malaysian star with the 'Star' there being Choi and many many others who have greatly assisted

Everyone helped us in our quest for justice except a couple of dozen or so people in the Civil Service and one in The Queen's Household, I best not comment unless I get up a head of steam.

Sleep well after your Whitehall Farce Very Happy

UK to reintroduce the British Empire Medal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8855649/British-Empire-Medal-to-be-reintroduced-after-20-years.html

...UK to reintroduce the British Empire Medal. ...
Mooted for some time, I was surprised to see. I have a sneaking suspicion that it was maintained all through the interregnum by Antigua and Barbuda Wink

Post Re: Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM 
BarryF wrote:
Meanwhile a pause for thought - for all those who fought with us but are no longer with us to witness this momentous occasion, men like my friends 'Jock' Fenton and Tony Davies.

I have just received this email from 'Jock' Fenton's son, Mark:

Hi Barry,

Thanks for taking the time to write and inform me of these decisions. Congratulations on two hard fought victories. The right to wear the PJM seemed inevitable given the pressure the PJM group was applying to reverse a decision that was obviously based on, even to a casual observer, flawed logic. However, the review and reform of the HD committee indicates you really "sunk the boot" (to borrow my father's phrase). Well done!

Thanks also for the kind words about my father. I know he had the utmost respect for you personally and a great fondness for many of the PJM members. He often marveled at how he could feel such comraderie for men he had never met.

Indeed, he will be well pleased.

Cheers

Mark

I suppose that we all wrote our letters to our MP's and to The Rt Hon Philip Hammond at an opportune time, I have received this email today from the MoD

Dear Mr Cooper

Please find attached a response to your recent e-mail to the Secretary of State for Defence concerning the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal.

Yours sincerely

Deputy Chief Defence Staff (Personnel)-Secretariat-Compensation & Veterans (PCV)|
Ministry of Defence | Level 6, Zone D |
MOD Main Building | Whitehall |
London | SW1A 2HB

Mr J Cooper
Our Reference: BAU/0249/2011

Date: 1 November 2011

Dear Mr Cooper

Thank you for your e-mail of 16 October to the Secretary of State for Defence, the Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal. In line with departmental procedures it has been passed to this section within the Ministry of Defence and I have been asked to write to you.

You will now hopefully be aware that there was widespread concern in Parliament about whether it was time for a wide and independent review of the rules which guide the cross-Departmental Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals (the HD Committee) in making its recommendation to The Queen. There was particular unease that the advice the HD Committee presented to Her Majesty on the acceptance and wearing of the PJM in 2005 and again in 2007, made the right recommendations.

As a result an urgent HD Paper has been commissioned recommending that holders of the PJM may be able to wear it with approval of The Queen. We are confident that this issue is going to be resolved and that progress will be made swiftly so that the PJM may be worn on Remembrance Sunday this year. In addition the Government has agreed that there should be a fresh review of the rules governing the award of military medals. This will be conducted by an independent reviewer with full consultation with interested parties, and I hope it will address the concerns about double-medalling that holders of the PJM have been subject to.

The Government are very pleased that they have been able to resolve this matter to the satisfaction of so many holders of the medal who have not been able to wear it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Post Listen to the BBC Announcement and Comments! 
You can listen to the BBC radio programme by clicking below.

Some of you-know-whose voice sounds weird. Well .... no ... it's not him this time. Radio Solent called him while he was fighting another battle - from his car in the London traffic (hands-free and safely, natch!) .

Our thanks to John in Oz for this recording. Copyright belongs to the BBC who, I am sure, will have no problems with us making it available here.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/radio_solent_011111.html

Barry

Post Pauline of London Gazette fame has emailed ... 
Dear Barry, 

I am delighted to hear the news of your victory.  Congratulations on the success of your challenging campaign against the HD Committee.  After all the hard work and frustration, you and your Joint-Chairmen at Fight4thePJM must be feeling pure happiness with a healthy dose of relief.  The overwhelming sense of achievement must be huge.

I will never forget that moment at TNA when I discovered the special London Gazette notice; a mixture of excitement, incredulity and doubt.  Quietly, as you know, Barry, audible expressions of joy of discovery are frowned upon when one is working in the 'quiet' area!   I proceeded to capture the image and to make sure it was clear.  Having dispatched a CD containing many images from that important file, I waited patiently for you to 'discover' the notice for yourself.   I am forever thankful for the invention of the digital camera which allows me to capture unlimited images of original documents.  And I am grateful to TNA for allowing me to do it without question or restriction.

I shall be watching the Remembrance Parade with the knowledge that Veterans will be wearing their PJMs with pride and the approval of Her Majesty The Queen.

With best wishes to you, your family and all at Fight4thePJM.

Pauline

Post The famous Pauline. 
Pauline and I have been exchanging Christmas cards for several years....ever since I sent her two paintings to thank her for the found London Gazette inclusion and her grand daughter said I was the best painter ever. After so long I hope that Pauline's grand daughter has now realised that although she got her very own print of the main painting, there are better painters than Mr Mike. Thing is, however, that there are not many painters- if any- who are happier than an ancient Army Tactical Sketcher who will wear his PJM with extraordinary pride come the 13th of this month, and remember the debt he owes to....PAULINE.

I can't thank Pauline enough for that huge nugget you found at the TNA, those Civil Servants have tried often enough to claim we were Crown Servants blah blah at the time, but really they were clutching at straws [Jack Straw too!]

Well done again Pauline, we will forever be in your debt Very Happy

Post BBC News Scotland 
Just watched the news programme on tonights 6pm news of the wonderful success of the P.J.M.

I WOULD LIKE TO CONVEY MY THANKS TO ALL WHO WORKED SO HARD AND NEVER GAVE UP.

I will wear mine at wreath laying this year safe in the knowledge it will not be challenged

Now go out and spot the PJM'S.

Regards to all.

Cameron

EX (1SG)

Post HM Approves PJM for Wear 
We have just heard that The Queen to-day accepted the recommendation of unrestricted wear of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia!

It is over.

We at the F4 are so pleased for everyone ...

... and we will forever remain indebted to you, our supporters, for your unstinting support over the last 6 1/2 years.

Paul Alders
John Cooper
John Feltham
John Ireland
Gerry Law
Hamish Waters
and me, Barry Fleming

Reply to topic Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next