Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Fight4thePJM - Last Posts
Post Fight4thePJM - Last Posts 
The Pingat Jasa Malaysia can now be worn on all occasions with HM the Queen's permission - as it was for the first time during the 2011 Remembrance Day Services and Parades. It is, therefore, with both joy and sadness that we announce that the Fight4thePJM website will soon be closing down. Joy because we've fought our fight and won - mission accomplished. Sadness because it's time to pack our kitbags - and move on from friendships newly made. But we've all been here before, packing our MFO boxes at the end of a tour of duty, leaving chums behind, moving on to the next posting wherever that may take us.

But we can also announce that we have arranged that this website will be not be stood down. It will continue to march (by the 'right', natch!) around the ethereal parade ground that is the world wide web. Fight4thePJM will be preserved (pickled?!) in time as a reminder to that group of civil servants who conjured up that first, shameful, PJM recommendation what the Military Covenant, and putting duty before self, is all about. But, above all, our time capsule will be a tribute to all those right-minded men and women around the world who supported us in our 7-year fight for a right that should never have been denied in the first place.

We thought that you might want to deposit in the Fight4thePJM time capsule one last message for your friends and comrades in arms - and for those that come after us researching our medal and wondering why the hell for seven years we had to confront and overcome so much unpleasantness to win an obvious justice.

If you have not already done so, you need to register and login to leave a message.

Pingat Kami - Hak Kami

Post It's been an Honour 
I would just like to say this. We have won a memorable battle as a result of which the Pingat Jasa Malaysia can be worn on all official occasions by British citizens. Furthermore, the whole medals system will now undergo change so that what happened to us cannot happen again to those who follow us. We have changed the honours system – forever and for the better. Powerful civil servants have at last been brought to account. They thought they were responsible to no-one - invincible behind their walls of secrecy. They were not.

I would also like to acknowledge the fundamental role played by our ‘War Lords’ - those Peers who gave us a fair hearing, and a hearing that our elected representatives always wanted to deny us. Those Lords were not driven by packs of civil servants. They were their own men, some themselves distinguished warriors, and they carried out their own research. I have to name Lord Touhig who has supported us since 2006, and Lords Craig and Ramsbotham. They cornered HMG and made them face the facts – not the fiction emanating from inside Government departments.

My thoughts then turn, as ever, to our comrades in arms who did not live to hear that we had won our fight - 'Jock' Fenton and Tony Davies. Many more PJMers died while waiting to hear the news that they had The Queen’s permission to wear their medal. What is so tragic is that it was all so unnecessary.

Then there are those remaining members of the Fight4thePJM Committee who were on parade on the 10th October when the PJM Amendment defeated the Government and on the 26th October when the Government announced it would advise the HD Committee to recommend to The Queen that the PJM should receive Her permission for wear on all occasions. Nearly seven years’ continuous work had come to a head – the last six months were the most critical.

In those last few months your Committee had to make difficult decisions which would result in casualties. But the under-mentioned men stood firm and, despite what was at stake, they did not lose their nerve. They did not waver. And I salute them:

Paul Alders
John Cooper
John Feltham (Australia)
John Ireland
Gerry Law
Hamish Waters (Australia)

Without them, Fight4thePJM would not have won the case for the medal. Without them standing together, following the course they did in those last few months, we may have failed. It is as simple as that.

In closing, I would also like to express my deep gratitude to all our supporters throughout the world. You gave us the inspiration to keep going through the many dark days.

I wish you all well. Have a good run ...

Barry

I cannot improve on the sentiments so ably put above by Barry but I share those very same views.
It has been a good run, sometimes sad but often funny too.
As side benefit, I have also had my failing memory of those distant days refreshed anew and hopefully made some "cyber" friends.
Good to know the site will be preserved for when I suffer serious withdrawal symptoms which I fully expect on a regular basis.
Winning two competitions was a highlight too and I treasure my First Day Covers and Roy's Jungle Beat which I received on those occasions.
With my great respect to all those those who tirelessly fought behind the scenes for this day.
It's been a pleasure comrades!

John

Kuching.

It has been a great pleasure to work with you and the other committee members and all that have registered on the forum and given their support. We won an arduous fight against insanity and it is thanks to the Lords [and Ladies] and those in the Commons who have given their support. Our thanks must also go to those in the Press, Radio & TV who have given unstinted support

I mustn't forget the late Jock Fenton, Andy Nicoll and in the early days George Fleming who have all inspired us to gain this victory for 'Common Sense'

Thanks everyone, be lucky................ Smile

Best wishes
John Cooper
Suffolk

Post Last Post 
There is very little that I can add to what has already been said. It has been a pleasure to campaign alongside such dedicated people, and to witness the support of everyone who inspired us to fight on. Barry has been our outstanding guide throughout. Lord Touhig had the strength and moral fibre to take up our cause and to rally the Lords to it. Wear you PJM with pride from now on and be proud that together we have won a famous victory against the faceless Sir Humphreys of Whitehall.
Best Wishes to you all
GerryL

It has been an arduous and frustrating campaign until our victory against the wishes of the civil servants and some in the establishment. The campaign has brought many rewards such as the close fellowship of many ex members of the armed forces and the memories it has brought back from many decades ago. Our victory would not have been achieved however without the resources in time and money Barry Fleming put at our disposal for this web site. A special mention should also be made of the other members of the PJM committee and the support we got from the crossbenchers in the House of Lords led by Lord Craig and the tremendous support from Lord Touhig in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons.

The Sunset Parade today is the curtain drop from me, fair winds to all...........

L to R

Michael King 1st-3rd East Anglia Regiment Ipoh and Malacca 1959-62 [National Serviceman]

John Cooper, RAF Seletar 205/209 Squadron Flying Boats Seletar throughout 1958

Edward Wood RAF Kuala Lumpur 1957-59 Blacksmith/Welder Station Workshops National Serviceman

Richard Allison RAF Kuching 1965-66 23 years service Statistician

Anyone still interested in contacting other PJM'ers we do gather on the RAF Forum here
http://RAFForum.activeboard.com

Last edited by John Cooper on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

it's been a very busy week for myself, here and there, for opening poppy appeals in supermarkets, fields of remembrance at Bristol Abbey, 93 rd Armistice day at My legion branch, for hundreds of school kids and this the 90 th anniversay of the Royal British Legion, Remembrance services throughout the churches of my area, it has all been worth it, like our campaign. i take some pride in my contribution to Remembrance, which is alive and well.
It is fitting therefore to finish on such a Sunday Exclamation
To all the bods i've shared comments with, Arthur, Mikey, Stan, Roy and my mate Recto, who has just made me an honourary 'Digger'. Cheers for your humour Laughing
It is proper to give a Big Bravo- Zulu to all the movers and ,to remember those who didn't see this day.
my actual 'Last Post' of this years remembrance service, was at 15:30 at Corston nr Bath Church.
This being my F4PJM 'Last Post' seeya fair winds, and sandy bottoms, Pete.

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
The last post has sounded on this campaign and we all return to what we were doing before this started albeit somewhat older and a lot wiser.

We have achieved more than we could ever have dreamed and we leave this site as a testament to the abilities of ordinary disciplined men and women who have faced up to petty tyranny and overcome it.

We were honoured by the people of Malaysia by being given the Pingat Jasa Malaysia and we have upheld that honour by ensuring that it takes its rightful place with the medals awarded by our Queen.

John Ireland

Well we were the good men. And, we have won.

Too many to thank - but top of the List is Barry Fleming, our Leader. His calm collected and thoughtful advice was always there.

I thank those supporters, Solent Radio, Suffolk Radio, Sandra Gidley MP (Ret'd), a lady friend in Malaysia, and of course the support of all the members of the Fight4thePJM Forum.

[/img]

Post Last Post 
It has been a revelation - that this "Brave New World" still has the people of principle, dignity and honour, prepared to fight unwaveringly for the rights and entitlements of themselves and others - and those people are "here". Ultimately too, it is a vindication of the often-maligned bicameral parliamentary system, uniquely able to deliver this victory at a very human scaling.

That's the business of Government - to deal not just in matters of grand, national importance and the "big picture" but at the same time to do everything with humanity and fairness and constancy throughout ("Semper Eadem" said Good Queen Bess, and she wasn't talking about cheese). If some who should never have forgotten it have been reminded of their duty, then this campaign has, incidentally, achieved something very precious indeed.

And it has been a privilege to converse with so many here - able to reveal their good humour and their decency while never losing their sense of outrage at injustice and "official" disdain (Pete, Mike, Arthur, Roy and many others). They say of on-line communities "tinw" (there is no "we"). What rot. Gentlemen (and any covert ladies) I salute you and will not forget you. We were part of something good and good came of it. Thanks to our Committee, thanks to all of you.

Post It's been an Honour 
Although not a "PJMer" it has been an inspiration to have been able to participate in this fine forum of dedicated and hard working people; sincere congratulations to all concerned.

I have placed "Last Posts" here for all to see.....

http://www.electricscotland.org/showthread.php/471-Fight-for-the-Right-to-Wear-the-Pingat-Jasa-Malaysia-(Malaysian-Service-Medal)/page4

Gordon

It has been a pleasure and an honour to serve these past seven years it is also sad that many of our comrades had to die before the PJM received its rightful place on our medal bar.
One good thing has come out of this and that is I have made some very good friends amongst you all, for that I am grateful.
Our job is done.
Paul

On a separate note I must publicly thank Barry [I know he would not want me to say this but I’m going to anyway] without Barry putting up and funding this site we could not have fought the campaign the way we did and the fact is this fight might have failed before it had got started without him.

Barry
On behalf of all PJMers past & present “I thank you”
Paul

I must repeat what many have said before me, Barry was our leader and a good one, he picked us up when we were down and reminded us of our goal and commitment.

Thank you Barry from the bottom of my heart.

John Wink

Post LAST POST 
Parade Dismissed. Thank you gentlemen. Dave.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next