Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
MOD cover up NGSM (malaya Clasp)
Post Re: MOD cover up NGSM (malaya Clasp) 
George F wrote:
So what may I ask is todays HMG defence team going to do to rectify this shame of dishonour to the British Medal Honours system? After all the HD committee has gone to such lengths to prevent 35 000 veterans from wearing the PJM medal to uphold the British Honours System.

George, I am (almost) speechless. I wonder how much those reptiles wil have to wriggle in order not to answer your questions!

Barry

Post Re: MOD cover up NGSM (malaya Clasp) 
George F wrote:
No country I know can issue a foreign medal to their veterans without the other country's approval would they?

No.

It stinks.

Our fight is not about a lowly PJM pinned on a few lapels by the War Memorial once a year compromising the mighty British Imperial Honours System. This is about politics and money.

The discredited shambles of the Ministerial Statement sets out two objections to the PJM - one from the MoD (which is a misleading lie) and one from the FCO (which is a misleading abuse of a rule).

As far as the MoD and FCO are concerned, they have done a great job. Neither is 100% responsible, neither can be blamed 100% for misleading the Queen.

Neither have any costs. But we do. We are having to spend time and resources unscrambling their deliberate cock-up. They think we will give up. But we never will.

And they simply do not care. As far as they are concerned, the job's a good'un. "Who do we screw next?"

PS From the MoD "The Ministerial Statement was 'less than explanatory'" That's MoD speak for "Who knows what the hell it means - we don't - and that was precisely the intention when the FCO drafted it ... with considerable from us."

Post Re: MOD Cover up NGSM clasp malaya. 
George F wrote:
Sounds something like Monty Python Flying Circus again.

First, I would say that Mr Coney knows precisely what he is talking about. He knows his medals and he knows his rules. And he’s prepared to set out them out with alarming honesty.

So alarming that I’m still trying to digest the implications of all this.

What this seems to be saying is that a British Medal had eligibility criteria set out by the British Governemtn that resulted in everyone (Aussies, Kiwis, Brits etc) not being eligible for the gong for a specific period of time. The Aussies and Kiwis decide to amend the British rules of eligibility themselves and then promptly tell the Queen to grant the OK to their forces to wear the gong cos the rules are OK now. She has no option but to agree and so the British Medal has been allowed to be hijacked without a by-your-leave to the Imperial Honours System.

Errr … who pays for those medals???? Surely not the British who can’t have one themselves!!!! Nah … don’t even try and tell me that is right ….

So … the Queen agrees to British Medals rules being changed without reference to the British Government (is this a Constitutional Monarch in action?) which inaugurated both the rules and the medal, and then she agrees that her Aussie and Kiwi subjects can wear it … but stuff the Brits (whose medal it is)! They can’t have it.

But when it comes to the Malaysian PJM. Oh no. The Malaysian rules do not suit the Brits (after all, they’ll lead to our lads getting a wearable gong, and we can’t have that, can we!) so they mis-apply the rules so the medal can’t be worn. Hold on … Oh yes it can … by the Aussies and Kiwis! The Queen said they could. But the Brits get stuffed once again.

It beggars belief if true … and you and I and the HD Committee know that it is.

Which world do these people live in. Not ours!

Barry

Post Re: Letter to Private Secretary to The Sovereign 
George F wrote:

http://www.fesrassociation.com/archives/9.htm

What an interesting document it is to read.

You should all read it.

I wonder if "they" have read it. I doubt it.

I found this snippet....

The excuses provided by Britain for not issuing the NGSM ‘Malaya’ to the RAN are:

1. 31 July 1992, from the British Ministry of Defence (MoD):

“To qualify for the NGSM with Clasp Malaya you had to be a member of the UK Armed Forces or Malayan Armed Forces And served 28 days etc.”

· In fact, by inter governmental agreement, Imperial medals used to apply to Australian and Dominion armed forces when Australia and the Dominions accepted Imperial medals.

=================================

Do I see the hand of the Dishonourable Hand in this declaration?

And some call me cynical??

Post Re: PJM - NGSM 
George F wrote:
Mr Harper, I find your shadow (conserative Party) defence team views most unusual having challenged Gordon Brown's (Labour Party) proposal for an "Annual day to Honour UK Veterans" your defence team then does a complete u/turn and supports the Labour Party government's "decision to decline formal permission to wear the medal in line with long standing practice"

A telling letter George - two thoughts:

1. Did the Conservatives challenge the National Veterans Day - can you point me to something to quote in my letters? I missed it completely (not unusual nowadays).

2. Can we broaden this argument but with specifics - we would benefit from mentioning the thousands of British Commonwealth forces who do not have a medal - particularly the 28th Commonwealth Brigade that was essentially 'on loan' to Malaysia for what we now recognise as PJM service. No British medal for most of them, and no PJM to wear, yet the Foreign Decorations rules specifically cater for such service to be acknowledged with an unrestricted (wearable) medal. A treble whammy.

Thanks,

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1