Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
My MP
Post Tredinnick 
Another email from me - unbridled good wishes to him for Christmas ! Tony D

Post Tredinnick 
Dear Mr Tredinnick
By now you are probably wondering just what Pandora's box you have opened with your, no doubt well intentioned but, ill informed reference to the wearing of foreign medals. Firstly, the recipients of the PJM are no longer service personnel but Veterans in their 60's, 70's and 80's. Secondly, the number of cases where foreign medals have been approved for wear, and by serving personnel at that, are legion.
I've no idea of your background but I can assure you that Veterans of Her Majesty's Armed Forces felt very honoured at being awarded the PJM by a grateful Malaysian nation. Perhaps if you had experienced Active Service in the harsh jungle conditions as we did, your opinion might be different.The imposition of the ban, which incidentally does not apply to those Commonwealth troops who fought alongside the British, has soured that honour. It has also called into question the loyalty that those Veterans have shown to Her Majesty for over half a century.
In the 21st century, with Empire long dead, why should the Establishment feel that the imposition of outdated ideas on the civilian population is relevant? Please reassess your thoughts on this subject after first having taken the trouble to examine all of the details behind the case. Many leading Conservatives both in and out of government have concluded that our cause is just. Sir Geoffrey Johnson Smith is one such.
Regards
Gerald Law

GerryL [ex RAF Borneo veteran]
Fight for the right to wear the PJM

Post Mr Tred-in-it MP 
Had to send this as Jock has been his usually reticent self and been reluctant to put his point of view. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Only kidding Jock, a super "Zap".

Dear Mr Tredinnickd,

I have become aware of your recent comments regarding the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal, I quote:-

"Thank you for your email of 2nd December regarding the Early Day Motion tabled by Don Touig regarding the Inter-Departmental Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals not to grant permission for Malaysian veterans to wear the Pingat Malaysia Medal.

It is normal practice not to allow British servicemen to wear medals granted by other countries and I believe that on this occasion this is the right decision.

I am sorry I cannot be more helpful on this occasion".

I believe you have been ill advised on this matter and I am sure by now you will have received numerous communications which have given you a very different point of view, and a much more accurate point of view than the source of your original information. You must also be aware that your point of view is not one shared by the Shadow Defence team.

The web site www.fight4thePJM.org is a minefield of accurate information.

Talking of minefields, I was always taught that upon finding ones self in one, and still in one piece, it was best to carefully retrace ones path at the earliest opportunity.

Your signature on EDM 356 and/or EDM 375 would be appreciated and respected.

John Rushton,

(Full details on E-mail)

Kuching.
Surely you must agree this well respected General Victoria Cross recipient from the infamous 'Rifle Brigade'

"Famous", I hope, George.

Post Her Majesty's message to her troops... 
See the attached link for the full text of Her Majesty's message to the Armed Forces.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6207695.stm

As part of that address HM said...

"Throughout my life my relationship with the armed forces has been marked by my admiration and deep respect for everything you strive to achieve on behalf of all of us.

My father King George VI said that 'the highest of distinctions is service to others'.

There is no higher goal. Your service to our country is - I believe - an outstanding example of that ideal. I am grateful to you all."

It is a peculiar paradox is it not, that while our Monarch clearly holds her military and the veterans thereof, in great esteem, that Her government chooses to drag its beauraucratic feet in failure to recognise the efforts and sacrifices of those who 'took the Queens Shilling' and soldiered in South East Asia 5 decades ago?

Last edited by 'Jock' Fenton on Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

My brother has been sending umpteen emails to his MP one.....

Eagle, Angela (Lab) Wallasey

I asked him the other day what response he had had.

Here is his reply to me today.

"Not a sausage. Like you said she is only interested in Women's affairs."

Do you know anyone living in her constituency of Wallesy.

She needs to be told about this honourable cause.

Hearts of oak lads, hearts of oak.

Post Re: Email to Mr Tredinnick... 
BarryF wrote:
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
To: tredinnickd@parliament.uk

Great one, Jock.

Here is my six-pennyworth:

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 22/12/2006 14:33 -----
Barry Fleming/BAFleming
22/12/2006 14:33
To: tredinnickd@parliament.uk

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) - EDMs

Dear Mr Tredinnick,

I see that your stance on the EDMs and the PJM has attracted considerable interest which is very healthy for our campaign fighting for the right to wear the medal.

Many messages to you will reflect the understandable frustration that British veterans are feeling because of the obfuscation of the civil servants who are involved - the sort of myths that are involved when they brief MPs and the media to the effect that it is not normal for British Servicemen to be allowed to wear Foreign Decorations.

I respect your views, of course, but I think they are based on a misunderstanding. I would like to suggest that you contact again whoever told you that British Servicemen do not normally wear medals issued by Foreign countries. In fact it is common practice. Before going out to finish my Christmas shopping (been busy with this campaign!) I have quickly drawn up this list of fairly recent medals all of which are from Foreign Countries and all of which have been formally accepted for Unrestricted Wear - and could be seen on a British uniform:

Rhodesia Medal
Indian Independence Medal
Pakistan Medal
Ceylon Armed Forces Inauguration Medal
Malawi Independence Medal
Guyanan Independence Medal (Worn by HRH FM Duke of Kent
Fiji Independence Medal
Papua New Guinea Independence Medal
Solomon Islands Independence Medal
Gilbert Islands Independence Medal
Ellis Islands Independence Medal
St Christopher Nevis & Anguilla Independence Medal
Service Medal of the Order of St John of Jerusalem
Belize Defence Force 15th Anniversary Medal
Interfet Medal (Australia) (International Force East Timor)
Nigeria Independence Medal
Kenya Campaign Medal (North Eastern Kenya)
Malay Active Service Medal
Malaysian GSM
Royal Brunei Armed Forces Silver Jubilee Medal
Pingat Laila Tugas Brunei GSM
Unitas Medal - BMATT South Africa
Malta GC 50th Anniversary of the War Medal
Brunei Silver Jubilee Medal
Iraq Active Service Medal
Iraq Floods Medal
Iran Coronation Medal
Vietnam Service Medal
Oman GSM (Dhofar)
As Sumood Medal - Oman
Peace Medal - Operational Emblem Oman
Peace Medal (Oman)
Accession Medal (Oman)
10th Anniversary Day Medal (Oman)
Russian 40th Anniversary of the War 1985
Order of the Special Royal Emblem (Oman)
Glorious 15th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 20th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 25th National Day Medal (Oman)
Glorious 30th National Day Medal (Oman)
Kuwait Military Service Medal (5 years long service, awarded to loan personnel)
Glorious 35th National Day Medal (Oman)

May I just add that the Conservative Party Defence Team and the Conservative Party ex-Foreign Secretary (Rt Hon Sir Malcolm Rifkind) all support our case, as do so many other MPs from all political parties. The PJM has been accepted by the Queen for wear by all Commonwealth countries who fought to protect the newly independent country - but not the British. That can't be right - and I'm delighted to report that the Conservatives are going to sort out the mess that is the current Foreign Decorations Rules.

I very much hope that you will review your stance on our case. It really is a just one. We need your support. The problem is obtaining the facts for you from those civil servants who brief busy MPs.

With kind regards and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year (the 50th Anniversary of Malaysian Independence ... a celebration, of freedom and security, that would not have happened but for PJMers.

Barry
- - - - - - - - - - -
Barry Fleming
Stockbridge Cottage
Inkpen Common
Inkpen
Hungerford
Berks
RG17 9QP

T: 01488 668 100

Fighting for the Right to Wear the PJM at
W: http://www.fight4thePJM.org
E: mailto:barry@fight4thePJM.org
"Pingat Kami - Hak Kami"

And at last a reply from Mr Tredinnick. He has the integrity to re-think his position:

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 22/01/2007 20:18 -----
"TREDINNICK, David" <TREDINNICKD@parliament.uk>
22/01/2007 19:07
To: <barry@fight4thepjm.org>

Subject: PJM

Dear Mr Fleming,
Further to your email of 22nd December, this is to let you know that in view of the strength of feeling expressed to me by constituents that veterans should be allowed to wear the PJM on public occasions, I have now signed EDM 356.
My best wishes,
David Tredinnick MP

If Mr Tredinnick can take the time and trouble to reconsider, so can other MPs ... and the HD Committee!

And I wrote in this column, in December, the following.

My brother has been sending umpteen emails to his MP one.....

Eagle, Angela (Lab) Wallasey

I asked him the other day what response he had had.

Here is his reply to me today.

"Not a sausage. Like you said she is only interested in Women's affairs."

Do you know anyone living in her constituency of Wallesy.

She needs to be told about this honourable cause.

=========================================

She still hasn't signed.

This is a leter I got from My MP this morning in reply to an email I sent him.Good to have you on side Mr Willets.

Great stuff Jon!....and thank you for your pesistent lobbying...

You guys down Pompey way are making a few waves, I hope they reach the doorstep of Whitehall. Smile

Post Gordon Brown's Statement - Truth or Fiction? 
Gordon Brown spoke at a Fabian Society conference on Saturday.13th Jan.07 about one of his pet subjects, Britishness – “It is founded on shared values that we hold in common: a commitment to liberty for all, a commitment to social responsibility shown by all, and a commitment to fairness to all."

Post Re: Gordon Brown's Statement - Truth or Fiction? 
John Feltham wrote:
Gordon Brown spoke at a Fabian Society conference on Saturday.13th Jan.07 about one of his pet subjects, Britishness – “It is founded on shared values that we hold in common: a commitment to liberty for all, a commitment to social responsibility shown by all, and a commitment to fairness to all."

So do we remind Mr Broon of his future responsibilities regarding fairness and liberty, fairness in that ANZACs have the right to wear the PJM and too the liberty in so doing, so why not the UK PJMers?

Always thought the Fabian society was subversively anti British, just like one of their favourite sons Harold Wilson.

[quote="IvorJ"]Always thought the Fabian society was subversively anti British, just like one of their favourite sons Harold Wilson.[/quote]
MY QUIP IS THAT ,THE IRISH ARE PROUD TO BE IRISH,THE SCOTS PROUD TO BE SCOTS,WELCH PROUD TO BE WELCH,AND ENGLISH PROUD TO BE ENGLISH. BRITISH IS A LEGAL NICETY TO DESCRIBE, ANY MONGREL RAGHEAD, , WHOSE REMIT IS TO COME HERE,CLAIM BENEFITS,FROM UNDEMOCRATIC CORRUPT REGIMES,CALL US RACIST,AND TRY TO KILL US,WHILST CLAIMING TO BE BRITISH ONCE THE PASSPORT HAS BEEN BOUGHT. TO BRING BACK A EUPHOMISM,FROM AFTER THE WAR 'EXPORT OR DIE'

Reply to topic Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next