Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
All Quiet on the Medal Front? Don't think so!
Post All Quiet on the Medal Front? Don't think so! 
We are just five months into this campaign. While we are preparing for the long haul, we are also hopeful that commonsense might prevail in the short term.

The work continues daily. We have a team of nine people leading this campaign from three continents and they are methodically and continuously promulgating all the arguments as to why this ‘no-wear’ recommendation should be reversed - writing letters, sending emails, and making telephone calls.

If all seems quiet sometimes, consider the duck on the duckpond … seemingly effortlessly navigating its way around, but below the surface paddling like mad. That’s us. And, we suspect, that's many of you.

Adding together the team’s activity, every day, often seven days a week, at least three ‘man’ days (our helpers in the offices, Carol, Lisa, Wendy and Jane will forgive us that remark) are spent on this fight. And then there are all the vital supporters who are doing as much and more to further the cause.

We are very grateful to our professional support team at Admin HQ in Manchester, and in Berkshire - if the suits knew how determined these ladies are, they'd announce the amendment tomorrow!

It is an awesome effort all round.

On this section of the Forum, we’ll keep you in touch with progress.

Thank you all for your help and support. Without you, there is no campaign.

The Fight4thePJM Team

Post Web Site Activity 
Activity on your web site grows daily:

• In five months the web site has attracted some 40,000 visits – way beyond our expectations, and way beyond our expected horizons with interest arriving from four continents.

• After five months, nearly 1,000 people have registered their support – this is a phenomenal number which emphasises the strength of feeling about the shameful recommendation that only the Brits may not wear the PJM.

And we've only just started. We need to achieve more - and we shall.

The Fight4thePJM Team

Post The Petition to the Queen 
As promulgated by Don Touhig MP in the Commons on the 6th July (anyone know where he got his info from?), the Fight4thePJM team has submitted a Petition to the Queen seeking her approval for British citizens eligible for the PJM to be able to wear their medal.

In the same speech, Mr Touhig, the ex-Veterans Minister, made a case to the Government for the PJM to be worn. This is a major step forward for us.

We handed the Petition in to Buckingham Palace personally – on the 12 June. We did so because we do not believe the Queen wants her Commonwealth to be divided. Also, as the “Fountain of all Honours”, she does have a say in matters such as the PJM.

We pointed out that the HD Committee did not have all the facts in front of them, and we illustrated many of the anomalies that have arisen from the failed compromise set out in the Ministerial Statement.

The Queen has read our Petition and it has been confirmed to us that She has passed it to Margaret Beckett for consideration (Mrs Beckett is the Foreign Minister and she heads the Department which is responsible for administering the PJM).

We very much hope that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office will develop the political will to seek a change of heart by the HD Committee.

We'll keep you advised as to progress.

The Fight4thePJM Team

Post The Fight4thePJM Rebuttal Statement 
Our next achievement was the drawing up of a document rebutting the Ministerial Statement. Running to 53 pages, the Rebuttal sets out to explain those areas where the recommendation and the Ministerial Statement announcing the 'no-wear' decision are faulted. Faulted to such an extent that the recommendation can no longer be considered ‘safe’.

The Rebuttal was sent to all relevant Departments (MoD, FCO, and Home Office), to Ministers, the Prime Minister, and to each member of the HD Committee on the 21st June.

One copy of the Rebuttal Statement found its way to the office of the Queen's Senior Correspondence Secretary where it joined up with the Petition to be sent for consideration to the Foreign Secretary.

We are very pleased that the two documents were married together at Buckingham Palace before being sent out for consideration – we do not think it would have happened like that if there was not a sense in Buckingham Palace that something had to be done about the PJM decision.

The Fight4thePJM Team

Last edited by BarryF on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post The HD Committee will re-consider our case!! 
And this is our most significant achievement. Despite having been told that this probably would not happen, in the last few days we have been advised by the Cabinet Office that our case, as set out in the Rebuttal Statement, will be re-considered by all Departments (MoD and FCO in particualr) and by the HD Committee.

This is a fundamental breakthrough. It is not regarded by some in HMG as a 'Review', but it is nevertheless significant.

We do not think it is possible that any fair-minded person would restate the same discredited decision in the context of the Petition (and the way it was dealt with by the Queen) and the Rebuttal Statement.

But then we are not necesarily dealing with fair-minded people...

All in all a very productive five months. Awesome progress.

We'll keep you informed as more progess is achieved.

The Fight4thepJM Team

Post Awesome !!!!! 
Hi Barry and all the team,

You guys are awesome. Thank God you are on our side. Smile

My appreciation to you all for the endless hours you must be spending. It really feels now as if something is about to happen to right this appalling wrong.

Very best wishes and thanks.

Bob Bryant

Once again can I emphasis what a privilage it is to know the VERY active committee that are working so hard for us.(Also the backroom staff).Perhaps when the war is won we can get together for a little tipple and celebrate your success
Rgds Ray

Once again can I emphasis what a privilage it is to know the VERY active committee that are working so hard for us.(Also the backroom staff).Perhaps when the war is won we can get together for a little tipple and celebrate your success
Rgds Ray

Count me in, Ray! We'll organise something.

If I am successful in my other campaign, to buy the Con Club in Calne and turn it into a new British Legion Club, then I would be pleased to see you all there for a celebration.

John

If I am successful in my other campaign, to buy the Con Club in Calne and turn it into a new British Legion Club, then I would be pleased to see you all there for a celebration.

Thanks very much for the invitation - let's hope 'they' see the light and you set up in that base.

Presumably your first action will be to set up a contract with Tiger Beer?!?

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1