Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 8 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Article in Malaysian press today.
I missed this one from the Bernama website last Thursday:

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v3/news.php?id=223179

The presentation of the PJM at the civic reception in Kuala Lumpur on the 6th October as part of the KOSB visit was televised on the main national news here in Malaysia this evening Sunday 8th October.
Great coverage.

Great stuff Pete, we have Laurie's feelings from the Malaysian people re the UK snub, how do you find things go down on your travels?

I am truly ashamed that I share the same patch of earth as those in The CO, FCO and MoD in The UK, I don't know why it is we love this glory of our empirical past. There is one thing these same people, thankfully, over here are in the minority.

Please Pete keep us all informed of any progress, I know we get updated by Andy frequently but it is nice coming from Malaysia as the 'suits' read this forum to get their information!

John, I'm sure I am getting the same response as Laurie from the people I speak with not only here in Kuala Lumpur but around the country as I travel. It is a topic of conversation and Malaysian's of all ethnic groups fully understand that it is some UK government group or individuals being incredibly difficult about the whole issue and not the individuals who are entitled to this award. This was also the case when I spoke with many of the Malaysian Government people at the reception and presentation on Friday. They clearly understand what is going on here. Malaysian's view the news, whether buy print or tv, as very important to their daily lives and as such any coverage of the PJM will reach a huge sector of the community.
Delighted to be able to pass on the "good news" from here.

George, I am sure that the High Commission here will already have that coverage and be sending it to the UK, probably as we speak. They were certainly showing great interest on Friday evening as to whether there had been any TV coverage of the presentation and that was within a couple of hours of the event taking place.

Fully understand your concern George. It seems that by having a presentation here in Malaysia, providing pre presentation news coverage of the issue of veterans not being able to wear the PJM in the local media, the Malaysians have certainly regained "face" by allowing the recipients to be presented and wear this award on Malaysian soil. And there was nothing anyone at the FCO or MOD or BHC could do about it! If this scenairo is correct, the High Commissioner could find himself in a difficult situation with the Malaysian's should he attempt to portray events in any way other than the Malaysian's wish them to be portratyed.

........................ If this scenairo is correct, the High Commissioner could find himself in a difficult situation with the Malaysian's should he attempt to portray events in any way other than the Malaysian's wish them to be portratyed.

Pete

Let us keep a VERY close eye on any reaction from any source!

Post KOSB Medal Presentation. 
Here is more media coverage.

[quote="George FAnnie has just put up some exellent photographs of the presentations at Colchester but no medals are being pinned on. I wonder was Mr Edge from the FCO present to make sure the the HD committee non wearing rules were carried out.

George F[/quote]

George as far as I know I was the only one wearing a PJM medal, but I was too busy with other things to take notice of my surroundings. If CE was there he was hiding behind a thorny bush but of course The Lord Lieutenant of Essex took the salute and being The Queen's representative could hardly snub HM

Copyright of photo is The East Anglian Daily Times

Last edited by John Cooper on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Feel free George, in fact the picture from THE East Anglian Daily Times (Please acknowledge their copyright) has been embellished by non other than our own PJM badge designer Dave Bloomfield

The memorial stone was brought all the way from Malaysia at great expense and is a fitting tribute to those that never came back in a background that boasts Englands oldest recorded town and in magnificent surroundings and in a Garrison Town, Colchester.

The KOSB visitors are still featuring in the local press. Here is an item in the Star today:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/14/southneast/15687936&sec=southneast

Here's an article that I missed in September:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/21/nation/15497004&sec=nation

Well its a month old news now, I wonder if this British General knew about the London Gazette article before we did, well he is having his medal pinned on http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/2/24/nation/16963063&sec=nation

I don't suppose he would be an ex Civil Servant would he? Shocked

Apologies for placing this here but I cannot find the original thread now.

Barry's letter to the Editor of the Star appears in todays paper. See here:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/1/focus/17311996&sec=focus

Apologies for placing this here but I cannot find the original thread now.

Thanks for pointing us to this article, Laurie. The Gazette article is important and so I have started a new thread for your item:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11090#11090

Barry

Reply to topic Page 8 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next