Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Vietnam
Post Vietnam 
This advert should be on teletex page 172 channel 4 as of Monday 27th Aug.
The information we are after will be of use in our fight to overturn some of the so called rules that the suits use against us.
If you or you know of a BRITISH SERVICEMAN who served in Vietnam please contact us.
If you are still under the offical secrets act we will not pass on your name.

VIETNAM. Did you serve in Vietnam as a British Serviceman and hold one or more of the following medals.
GSM Vietnam Clasp, Vietnam Service Medal, South Vietnam Campaign Medal.
If so please email supports@fight4thepjm.org leave a message for Paul and I’ll get back to you.

Post Vietnam GSM 
The NCO's from the RMP who were attached to the Embassy in Vietnam received the GSM and I believe that they came from 200 Pro. Coy in Singapore.

John

So far we have two names ex SAS who served in Vietnam.
I will not release those names for obvious reasons but we have proved once again double medalling.

With respect mate, you know, I know that things 'happened' officially or not in all spheres of operations, I have been warned off already on a DEGT theme (Don't Even Go There) If you start delving there was a GSM Struck w/c South Vietnam to other than Australian Vets, your other comments about HMG are well founded but it is getting the proof, its a long road but we have taken to it! Wink

I myself with about 30 others was put on standby for Vietnam while stationed at RAF Tengah, Singapore in 1964 we were stood down after about 12 hours but I cannot prove it as there would be no records of personal who are put on standby but then didn't go.

My orders to go on standby came from a Flt Lt who he got them from, as a humble SAC I was got going to ask.
Also you must remember in 1964 Vietnam was not that big an issue as it was in later years.

[
Paul, I am sure you would agree, such an order to stand by to fly a squadron of RAF Aircraft into Vietnam would have to come from much higher than a Flt Lt.

George

Strange how things escalate, who was sending a squadron of Vulcan Bombers to Vietnam? Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information on U.S. Army helicopter UH-1B tail number 62-01880
Date: 01/18/1964 MIA-POW file reference number: 0028
Incident number: 64011813.KIA
Unit: UTT
Over Water
UTM grid coordinates: XR700836
Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Defense Intelligence Agency Reference Notes. Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Also: 0028 ()
Loss to Inventory

Crew Members:
P 1LT METOYER BRYFORD GLENN BNR
CE PFC STRALEY JOHN LEROY BNR
P WO1 GRAY PATRICK E RES
G PFC SULLIVAN JOHNNIE L RES

Passengers and/or other participants:
Wing Commander LEE ALLAN H, British Royal Air Force, PX, KIA

REFNO Synopsis:
Source: Compiled by Homecoming II Project 15 October 1990 from one or more of the following: raw data from U.S. Government agency sources, correspondence with POW/MIA families, published sources, interviews. SYNOPSIS: 1Lt. Bryford Metoyer was the pilot and PFC John L. Straley was the crew chief of a UH1B helicopter flying a tactical operation over South Vietnam. The helicopter made a pass into some enemy positions, then experienced a tail rotor failure and crashed over water. The operation was being conducted along the shoreline of the South China Sea in the Kien Hua Province region. Three of the crew were rescued or recovered, and a search for Metoyer and Straley was conducted for about 10 days with no results.

War Story:
Sad to say it confirms what I had heard, that it was lost and my replacement killed. I was told that sharks got them before they could be rescued, which is probably true, since neither body was recovered. In the summer of 63, I convinced the powers that be to let me move the rockets down under the gun pylons. I maintain that 880 was the first in RVN to be so configured, and it was the only one like that in UTT when I left in Nov 63. Folks from Redstone took pictures of it, and of course we know that subsequently they equipped new HUEY's that way. I'll send along a picture. My 2nd tour was as the Maint Plt Sgt in C-1st-9th, 1st Air Cav 66-67. Also a great unit. Thanks again, Steve Hundley, March 2001. The two men rescued were WO Patrick E Gray - UTT Hel Co - co-pilot PFC Johnnie L. Sullivan - 560th MP Co The British officer was Wing Commander Allan H. Lee - Royal Air Force Both Metoyer and Lee survived the crash and were observed treading water. Metoyer was heard yelling instructions to remain calm. He then disappeared. An attempt to pull the British officer on board a rescue helicopter failed and when he slipped from their grasp, he too disappeared. Waves were high and there were no life preservers on board. There were only 25 on the whole base and this mission was not supposed to be over water. Pfc Straley could not swim. I have all the incident reports and other info that I dug up in the Library of Congress if you want the specifics. The was a report that Metoyer may have been sighted in a Chinese Prison Camp. The National League of Families is trying to obtain photos of the 1,836 that are still unaccounted for in Southeast Asia. I chair the committee. Do you guys have any photos? Candace Lokey, March 2005

This record was last updated on 03/27/2005

The 30 odd bods who were put on standby were all ground staff of various trades but none to my knowlege were part of an operational squadron.

It has always been a mystery to me, it was about midday Singapore time, it was dark when we got stood down, it was 1964. Sept I think.

Well if 'John' is me I'm out as I am not permitted to speak to The MoD particularly Mr Keith and Mr Coney after my last fracas, they even informed me to go away and get in touch with the Ministerial Unit, I did, but they haven't replied

Not Vietnam this one but its revealing on what is said on SUEZ!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2982182.stm

and this one re The Arctic Convoys http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2178660.stm

I am not certain about the RMP having received the GSM for Vietnam but it was certainly hearsay that the Embassy detachment did get it. We had a senior officer, one Colonel Ramsey (pause to s--t!) who certainly had the Australian version as he wore it in London when I last saw him.

John

Wing Commander Allan Lee MVO, Service No. 197598 was killed on 18th January 1964 while serving in the Far East.

But have not said which country in the Far East.

The VCM he was attached to the Australian Provost Corps.

John

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1