Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
British couple honoured for services to Malaya
Post British couple honoured for services to Malaya 
KUALA LUMPUR: Britons Antony and Eileen Gould have fond memories of this country.

No wonder, as it was here that they met and fell in love.

Eileen was a nurse at the Kinrara Army Hospital while Antony was a private in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Fifty years on, the couple were rewarded for their services. They both received the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, an award presented to foreign veterans in recognition of their sacrifices, gallantry and dedication whilst serving here.

The Goulds joined 57 others from the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand to receive their awards from Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak yesterday.
"I was stationed at the hospital for 18 months. Most of my patients were British soldiers and their wives, Gurkha soldiers and their wives and of course, local soldiers," Eileen said.

The couple left the country in 1957, but returned for a visit in 1990. This is their second trip back and they are astounded by the development.

"Driving out of the airport, I saw so many new housing developments. It’s amazing," said Eileen.

Earlier, Najib, who is also defence minister, thanked the veterans for their willingness to sacrifice their lives for the security and sovereignty of Malaysia during the Emergency and the Confrontation.

"One of the reasons we have been able to accomplish the transformation and achieve peace and security is because men and women from countries like Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and other friendly nations not only stood side-by-side but fought with us.

"We know it wasn’t an easy task to be soldiers fighting in the Malaysian jungle. You faced worthy adversaries but we had the wisdom to put things together in the right manner.

"You were willing to fight alongside our soldiers, bear with mosquitoes and leeches. Only one country on record was successful in defeating the communists and that was Malaya," he said.

For the first time today, some 200 former soldiers from the three countries will be marching in the Merdeka parade.

National Malaya Borneo Veteran Association patron Gen Sir Garry Johnson, who was also present, said the soldiers treasured the time they served in Malaya and had watched with great admiration as Malaysia prospered after independence.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/National/20070831090114/Article/index_html

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1