Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Malaysian Exhibition, Edinburgh.
Post Malaysian Exhibition, Edinburgh. 
On Monday, 27th. August, 2007, at Castle Street, Edinburgh, a Malaysian Tourism Exhibition was attended by 44 veterans consisting of two Brigadiers, 34 ex-Kings Own Scottish Borderers, and 10 Cameron Highlanders and also one naturalised Scot who lives here but originated from England – Mike Barton. Most were accompanied by their wives and were dressed in blazers with regimental badge, regimental tie, Leslie tartan trews for KOSB and some kilts for the Cameron Highlanders. Medals were worn and many were wearing the PJM. A KOSB piper was also in attendance.
The veterans were marched into the exhibition to a tune from the bagpipes, where each was greeted personally by Dato Razali Mohd Daud, the Deputy Malaysian Minister of Tourism and his staff.
The Minister of tourism made a speech praising the veterans and a framed letter signed by the Malaysian Prime Minister was presented to Brigadier Frank Coutts. It was later said that each veteran was to receive a copy of the letter but the Minister said that every letter had to be framed before being presented to the veterans, so the organiser are arranging this.

Everyone was also given a ‘goody-bag’ which contained some nice gifts such as a Malaysian Kriss letter opener, a pen, and a batik cloth sarong.

One wife said ‘ that was such a nice speech that I had tears of pride in my eyes’. Another said ‘it’s a pity our Queen and government cannot appreciate veterans like the Malaysians do’.

A copy of a letter from the Minister for Tourism is attached. The speech given at the ceremony was similar to that on the enclosed letter.

Before it started I had the opportunity to speak to a senior member of the Malaysian Tourist Board and I discussed the PJM with him, showed him the PJM I was wearing and, of course, made it quite obvious that I would not use this occasion to promote the fight4thepjm (oops!). I also spoke to him about our adoption of Koyah and gave him the Press release suitably amended with Jock’s details and my own details.

I was then hijacked by a big chap with a big camera who was extremely interested in my three medals and took a number of photographs. I told him about the PJM and he asked me to hold it out so he could take more photographs. He then also took photographs of myself and Mike Barton standing together. He said he was from The Herald.

On Tuesday the enclosed cuttings appeared in The Herald and The Daily Mail.

Andy.

Last edited by mcdangle on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Malaysian Exhibition, Edinburgh. 
Part II -

Here are two photographs which appeared in The Herald and The Daily Mail newspapers. The veteran with all the medals is Brigadier Frank Coutts of the Kings Own Scottish Borderers.

The person standing on his right wearing a black beret will not identified and all I am prepared to say is he is not KOSB or Cameron Highlanders but was a very welcome veteran and supporter of the right to wear the PJM and we were pleased to have him and his wife Kathy with us (oops!).

Andy.

Thank you McDangle for this posting and photographs...it's great to see that the Malaysian people are so eager to express their gratitude with such a display of courtesy. I'm sure that PJM'er veterans from all over the UK and indeed from all over the world, are glad that a few of our comrades might be treated in such a generous manner...And great to note that several PJM's received another 'airing'...Well done all concerned!

And 'well done' for spreading the word about Koyah's adoption to the press too!

By the way....since the ex-Service Corps individual (wearing the solitary beret amid that sea of 'bunnets') does not, apparently, wish to be identified, you may rely upon me to maintain a discrete silence and refrain from mentioning the name Mike Barton...we Signal's boys know how to keep a secret!!

Well done Andy, great to see you are still chomping at the bit Smile

Post Media update on PJM medal 
Medal that must not be worn
http://iccheshireonline.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_headline=medal-that-must-not-be-worn&method=full&objectid=19711118&siteid=50020-name_page.html

Australia's Governor-General To Attend Merdeka Celebration
http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=282219

8,000 war veterans receive service medals
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/NewsBreak/20070830180335/Article/index_html

Medal wait is at last for jungle soldiers
http://www.rochdaleobserver.co.uk/news/s/1014/1014734_medal_wait_is_at_last_for_jungle_soldiers.html

Post Edinburgh Exhibition. 
Very stupid of me not to mention that Sandra White MSP who is one of our strong supporters in the Scottish Parliament also attended the Malaysian Tourist Exhibition in Edinburgh. I spoke to her and of course the ridiculous non-wearing rule, well the rule that says now you wear, now you don't, was discussed and she was absolutely amazed that permission has now been given to wear the PJM in Malaysia for a temporary period only. But I honestly did not allow the discussion about the PJM in any way interfere with the solemnity of the exhibition.

Post ME. 
OK, young Fenton, no more Mr Nice Guy. Service Corps and proud of it. Check out page 132 of NMBVA "A Tribute and Commemoration," find RASC and look at 27 Company. Bet you had no idea you were so close to quality while you were stroking yer cat's whisker in Batu Cantonment. As for you, McDangle, I'll make you share a whole bottle of good, peaty, smoky Laphrohaig when we next meet....cork oot the window stuff....and no water.

As for my following on this site, you must check with the colour photo that I do have most of my own teeth, and not just the one in the black and white piccie. I was also wearing my PJM alongside the GSM but being at the front with the short-arses an even shorter-arsed KOSB bod got his shoulder in the way of it. Typical bloody infantry. It could be that the somewhat strained expression on my mug was either to do with shouting "Batu Road" in the general ribaldry or that Brigadier Coutts had just stepped on my toe...anyway the latter is the case in one or other of the shots. No consideration these brass hats, although he did give a cheer when I shouted, "Batu Road," which caused me to wonder. Ah, well, having met so many KOSB that day I'd not be surprised at anything.

Oh, and by the way, McDangle, I got a lovely email today from Andrew Ritchie thanking me for thanking him for such a memorable Day.

Finally I would like to thank Smudger, another infantry reprobate for supplying my beret at such short notice. I should have checked it for leeches still remaining...one of which seems to have escaped to cause me further embarassment. I just popped it on a vacant skewer and left it on a tray of goodies...with a nice suace dip.

Laugh all you like.....I can take it.

MB.

Gentlemen on Parade,I'm so glad you enjoyed the occasion,how I wished I could have been there with you all.Suffice to say at least my Regiment (Cheshires) was represented in the shape of the beret worn by the 'Bredbury Bantam'

I rather suspect the agonised look on Mike's fizzog (an owd Bredbury saying) was realy down to the fact someone told him it was his round. Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1