Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Independent 8th November 2007
Post The Independent 8th November 2007 
I don't think this has been posted yet, I think a few statements might be amiss here

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article3138365.ece

Post Re: The Independent 8th November 2007 
[quote="owen lawrence"]
John Cooper wrote:
I have a good feeling about all this and I can imagine one or two people in 'Ivory Towers' will be beginninig to perspire. Only old 'jungle fighters ' sweat. Very Happy

Owen

Great stuff, Owen!

Wait 'til they read their MoD Oracle tomorrow (Saturday, 10th Nov)! I know they read it. A little billy doo from us to them will be on their front page at http://www.modoracle.com/and will stay there all weekend.

[quote="owen lawrence
I have just done a long interview by phone with ' The Independent on Sunday'. I have no idea where they got my details.
Anyway, the inportant thing is that the 'Big Boys' are really getting interested, although this interview was mainly about the treatment of vets in general and my bit of service in Malaya and Borneo. She was very interested by our PJM campaign and refered to the article in The Independent.
I have a good feeling about all this and I can imagine one or two people in 'Ivory Towers' will be beginninig to perspire. Only old 'jungle fighters ' sweat. Very Happy

Owen[/quote]

Great stuff Owen, let us hope that you make some headway.

John Cooper wrote:
I don't think this has been posted yet, I think a few statements might be amiss here

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article3138365.ece

I have just done a long interview by phone with ' The Independent on Sunday'. I have no idea where they got my details.
Anyway, the inportant thing is that the 'Big Boys' are really getting interested, although this interview was mainly about the treatment of vets in general and my bit of service in Malaya and Borneo. She was very interested by our PJM campaign and refered to the article in The Independent.

Owen

When Rambahardu Limbu received his award my unit was under orders to go to Borneo. I was 18 years old and I was going to the very same area that he won his VC in indeed, we took over from them. I have no qualms in saying that I was extremely aprehensive.

John

Post Re Gurkha VC 
And rightly deserved it was... now also to be considered, was the number of other awards for this non war... the many recipients of the Military Cross, Military Medal, Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Queen's Medal for Gallantry, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Force Cross, Air Force Medal, OBE's MBE's BEM's etc, and of course, that old favourite, the Distinguished Service Order. If there have been any awards given, for this non war, that I have missed, then I do apologise to those recipients.

Going back to the double medalling issue, why was the GSM 1918 not retained for the whole of the conflict? We then have the GSM 1962. One covers half of the conflict, conversely, so did the other. Effectively, double medalling, as I know of at least two individuals who wear both medals.

My own late father and my late Uncle, both wore the old and the new GSM's for Aden, one with Radfan clasp and the other with Southern Arabia, again double medalling... even the stupidest person to walk this earth could work that one out... which leaves me to wonder about those who have power over us... yes... it's them again.

Better accept the fact that this was a non war, and, the civil serpents would have you believe, none of us were ever there. It was all a figmenet of our imagination... that would be their justification for doing nowt.

Yours still mystified

Arthur

Post Re Gurkha VC. 
Indeed, John, well spotted! Now that is a case where the word "hero" should be used.

MB

When anyone asks why we think that Borneo was a 'conflict' worthy of recognition remind them that there was a Victoria Cross awarded to a Ghurka for his actions in that jungle conflict and no government gives them away without assuring themselves of it's worth.

John

Yes JohnI that is a very valid point, well spotted!

When anyone asks why we think that Borneo was a 'conflict' worthy of recognition remind them that there was a Victoria Cross awarded to a Ghurka for his actions in that jungle conflict and no government gives them away without assuring themselves of it's worth.

John

I agree with MB - we must try and find a way to persuade these newspapers to 'run with this one' and not let it drop after Sunday. The MoD are not exactly flavour of the month with anyone at the moment, and if they can be nudged enough by the Press, then they may have a go at the HD Committee and try and salvage some tiny drop of credibility. I can live in hope can't I?

Post Re: The Independent Article 
MB wrote:
John and Jock.

MB..........from a very snowy spot in highland Scotland.

We are expecting a tidal surge of 3 metres above normal tide levels at about 0930hrs tomorrow!

I hope that the HD Committee get the wind up the Khyber Pass and are battening down the hatches for a groundswell of public opinion against their frosty decisions regarding the PJM Evil or Very Mad

SNOW Mike?......You are preaching to a Canadian about snow..............?

Post The Independent Article 
John and Jock.

Have just read it and like the journalist's style very much. Can only say this spate of articles by the major newspapers at this time of the year is a great step forward for us....in my humble opinion. Let us hope they don't just drop us after the 11th when their readers bin the poppies.

Also, like you, Jock, I have become quite sickened by the "hero" thing, so much bandied about that the word has lost its meaning. In my jentle shout on the Express slot last night I even went so far as to mention our general dislike of the term (rather forward of me) and apologise to any one who took exception when reading the thoughts of BatuM.

MB..........from a very snowy spot in highland Scotland.

Agreed John...the author has erred, marginally, in some areas...and he also tends to dwell somewhat heavily on the 'heroic' and/or gory aspects of the 2 conflicts (that is in the nature of reporters...they are always looking for a sensational 'hook' to 'their' story)....and of course this causes any vet, who actually participated, to shy back....none of us wish to talk about specifics much, since very few others, save for those of us, who were there and who certainly do not wish to be referred to as 'Heroes', has any intelligent perspective on the subject...this last comment applies particularly to the MoD/FCO incidentally!

However, credit where it's due, from a strictly historical viewpoint he hasn't strayed too damn far from the truth.....and he sure hasn't hurt our campaign any....we could use a few more media 'mavens' with his attitude in my humble opinion...

Last edited by 'Jock' Fenton on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2