Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
NST online
Post NST online 
Thank you to Jock in Canada for this one.

Opinion: Partnership based on a rich legacy
By : BALAN MOSES

Email to friend Print article

Growing from strength to strength. This, in a nutshell, reflects the relationship between Britain and Malaysia which have never stopped building on the sterling bilateral foundation established on Malayan independence in 1957. BALAN MOSES talks to British High Commissioner Boyd McCleary, on the road ahead

ALMOST everything about Malaysia reminds British High Commissioner Boyd McCleary of home.

The legal system, the civil service, the police force, the education system, the particular kind of the English language Malaysians generally speak, the world view that many have: They all hark back in some degree to Malaysia’s colonial past.

It is unusual for him not to speak to someone or look at a facet of Malaysian life without flashing back to London and the British way of life.

It is this feeling of deja vu that has been intriguing McCleary since he took up the appointment in Kuala Lumpur nine months ago.
The strapping Briton of Irish descent arrived on the cusp of what is probably the most exciting time in British-Malaysian relations in 50 years — the celebration of half a century of independence, a successful bilateral relationship and the true coming of age of a post-colonial nation.

McCleary is a believer in making the most of a success story. In this respect, he is all set to tell the tale of a centuries-old relationship that has borne the vagaries of time extremely well with the future portending an equally successful outing.

For him, it is clearly a time for Britain and Malaysia to rejoice in the fact that the years after 1957 and independence have been extremely kind to both nations.

"It is a different relationship today compared with what it was 50 years ago. We have stood shoulder to shoulder in the past," he said in a recent interview.

"Today, we stand as equals. It is no longer a parent-child relationship."

McCleary feels that Malaysia had a good start in that independence came without bloodshed, no strings attached and a healthy attitude among Malayans starting a new chapter in life.

There is enough in a diversity of fields to prove his point that the going has been good, for both countries.

McCleary talked of a host of partnerships from trade, education and culture to defence and people-to-people ties.

Trade naturally is leading the pack with other sectors closely behind.

"Many may not realise it but Britain is the largest foreign investor in Malaysia.

"But British companies are not involved in ‘metal bashing’ but more on modern-day business like banking and financing, the oil and gas industry and the retail industry."

It is this comprehensive bilateral relationship that has led to the British High Commission drafting a year-long campaign to mark the 50th anniversary of Malaysia’s independence.

McCleary and his staff at the embassy have their work cut out for them as they negotiate the months towards December and the completion of what could be one of the busiest years in bilateral ties.

With the catchline "Malaysia & Britain: Forward together", the campaign is premised on the fact that both nations have a great future together based on current and past ties.

"It will stress the importance of maintaining strong ties between the two nations into the future," said McCleary.

"The campaign will focus on strengths and mutual interests in education, science and culture, veterans celebrations, sustainable development and climate change.

"All this is in tandem with Malaysia’s move towards a knowledge-based economy and built to touch a cross-section of Malaysians and Britons of all ages and walks of life."

The salient aspects of the campaign include:

• The presence of a member of British royalty at the Merdeka Day celebrations;

• The visit of the mayor of London, John Stuttard;

• A memorial service to commemorate the Malayan emergency on June 9;

• Visits by British Secretary of State for Defence Des Brown in June and the defence chief, Air Chief Marshall Sir Jock Stirrup, in August,

• A regional conference on climate change in October; and

• An exhibition of British design talent entitled "Love and money".

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, is expected in Malaysia next month under the "Building Bridges" programme aimed at fostering better Christian-Muslim ties.

The bishop will also officiate at the consecration of the Anglican bishop of West Malaysia, Canon Ng Moon Hing, on May 5.

His visit, which coincides with anniversary celebrations, is not on the official calendar of events.

The calendar has more than 70 listings which include cultural events like participation of one of Britain’s most prominent poets, Benjamin Zephaniah, at the 2nd Kuala Lumpur literature festival.

Also featured is a talk by Sir Christian Bonington, vice-chancellor of Lancaster University and one of Britain’s best-known mountain climbers. The stakeholders in the campaign include British Trade & Investment, British Council, Visit Britain and the British-Malaysian Chamber of Commerce.

Specific outcomes from the programme are expected to include an interest by Malaysian institutions and companies in doing business with Britain on inward investment and partnerships.

"We also expect increased awareness of Malaysia within Britain in government and business circles with a view to developing opportunities for both sides."

McCleary underscores the reality of a healthy bilateral relationship in future by going back to its roots in the years immediately before independence.

As Malaya was inexorably making its way to independence, the British helped maintain security during the 12-year-long emergency which ended in 1960.

Soon after, British forces again played an active role in ensuring the security as Indonesia embarked on konfrontasi with the newly-established nation of Malaysia.

Britain then entered into a permanent defence arrangement with Malaysia under a five-power defence arrangement (with Australia, New Zealand and Singapore as the other partners).

A moving reminder of the British role in Malaysian security will be seen on Aug 31 when a contingent of British veterans join the Merdeka Day parade.

Each British veteran will receive a PJM (Pingat Jasa Malaysia) for meritorious service before the parade.

Security aside, there has always been a sentimental relationship between Malayans and the British built over 200 years of colonial history.

Generations of Malaysians have talked about the "British days" when the hallmark of colonial administration was an outstanding educational system and the rule of law.

To McCleary, as it is to others, this tradition never ended with countless Malaysians maintaining close links with "England" over the decades since independence. The 11,500 Malaysian students in Britain, said McCleary, was testimony to the educational ties nurtured over the years.

"Education is one of the critical links between Britain and Malaysia. There are easily 80 ongoing partnerships between universities."

The University of Nottingham campus in Semenyih, he added, was a prime example of such co-operation. Britain, said McCleary, wanted to be a partner in the development of Malaysian human capital which was critical for the achievement of the Vision 2020 concept.

"This is where we want to help. We want to work in developing research at Malaysian universities besides research in areas of business."

McCleary is happy the Malaysian government has matched Britain’s enthusiasm in looking to Malaysia for new and varied partnerships in the public and private sectors.

The symbiosis cannot be ignored, especially in the light of the natural alignment between two nations built over two centuries of links in trade, culture and way of life.

"We have been a friend in the past. We will be a good friend in future, too."

Post NST Interview 
Evil or Very Mad How Establishment! How trite! How Diplomatically TWO FACED!

Unbelievable! A prepared statement? I suggest he changes his "rose tinted
spectacles" for something that will cure his Foreign Office induced myopia!

A thermite grenade enema might do the trick.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post UKHC Kuala Lumpar 
This has just gone off!

Post High Comissioner 
British High Commissioner in Malaysia

In Malaysia, the British High Commissioner represents the British Government in its relations with the Malaysian Government.

The High Commissioner's main tasks are to present and explain British policies to the Malaysian Government and to Malaysians, and to report and explain Malaysian policies and views to the British Government in London.

Boyd McCleary CVO has been British High Commissioner, Kuala Lumpur, since July 2006. His CV is as follows:

Born 30 March 1949.

1975-78 - First Secretary (Agriculture), Bonn

1979-80 - First Secretary (Chancery), Bonn

1981-83 - Western European Department, FCO

1983-85 - European Community Department (External), FCO
1985-88 - First Secretary & Head of Chancery, Seoul

1988-89 - Assistant Head of Far Eastern Department, FCO

1990-93 - Deputy Head of Mission & Director of Trade Promotion for Turkey, Ankara

1993-97 - Counsellor (Economic/Commercial) Ottawa

1997-98 - Head of Overseas Estates Department, FCO

1998-00 - Head of Estates Strategy Unit, FCO

2000-05 - Consul General & Director General of Trade & Investment in Germany, Dusseldorf

2005-06 - Director of Global Rollout for Oracle ERP system, FCO

Married to Jenny Collier. Three daughters.

Surprise, surprise !

Tony

Post UKHC KL 
Smile Yep! Who knows? It could be his chance for a K against an O or a C
for the other lot I'm sure he'll fancy a K against their prospects.

Just had a thought - seems to get moved around a lot?

Anyway, worth a try me ol' mate!

David.

Christ Almighty, this boy will go a long way won't he? Who the hell wrote that for him? " NO BLOODSHED", excuse me???? In terms of that diatribe, why then is the British establishment slapping Malaysia in the face over the PJM? Maybe we are all missing something here troops, but i'm damned if i can work it out.!!!!!!!!! Dave.

Post UKHC KL 
David, you raise some salient points in your missive to Mr McCleary, it will be very interesting to hear his reply, IF he bothers to send one.

I still cannot believe, no matter which way I look it it, that he or Balan Moses actually said "...........independence came without bloodshed". For the love of all things sacred, you would think that anyone taking up a position like his in Malaysia would do a bit of homework, and learn some facts.

Mr McCleary, sir, read some history books, and do try to be just a little more careful when you open your mouth - you may possibly offend a few people. For starters on the reading, may I suggest you cast your eyes over the Citation for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, you just may be capable of understanding our feelings.

Tony Davies

Post UKHC KL 
Idea Another thought - perhaps the "Management" could send him a gratis copy of Roy Follows
wonderful book "Jungle Beat" relating the early years against the CT's (His excellency would
be about 18months to 2 years old then) and he could perhaps learn how crass the statement,
attributed to him by Bolan Moses sounded, that independence was achieved without bloodshed, no strings
attached and so on. I was lucky to win a copy and, honestly, have read it at least 5 times and
it is still at my bed side.

All I can say to Moses is, "keep taking the tablets"!

I never understand how these people get to the positions of power, they appear to tie themselves up in knots let alone others, I wonder if this is how diplomats worked on the 15 Sailors held in Iran recently.

The mind boggles at their ineptitude.

I wonder really where these Defence Attaches come into it surely they ought to be up to speed?
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Just another lack of integrity in the system. I'm sure we would all like to know what the bottom line is in the role of senior public servants in decisions on the PJM. Without their interference the PJM would have been accepted and proudly worn by recipients, end of story. Because of their actions they have opened up a huge can of worms and are coming under scrutiny like never before. We will wear our PJM's because the Queen gave us permission in 69 so its time they accepted that and let their ego's take a hiding.

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
HMS CORNWALL,SHOULD BE PAINTED RED,OUT OF EMBARRASSEMENT,AND SENT TO THE ARTIC IN LIEU OF THE ICE PATROL SHIP HMS ENDURANCE,WHERE THE ONLY WILD LIFE THEY WILL COME ACROSS ARE PENGUINS,AND POLAR BEARS,SENT TO MALAYSIA,AS A REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT,POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE BANANAS,TO A CIVILISED COUNTRY,WHERE YOU GET BIRCHED,FOR GRAFFITI,AND GOOBING CHEWING GUM,THEY WOULD END UP WITH THE CREW GETTING FLOGGED BY A MAGISTRATE,AS HAVING NO RESPECT Exclamation HMS CORNWALL,UNLIKE ITS PREDECESSOR,AIN'T FIT FOR PURPOSE. I CAN JUST SEE THE BATTLE HONOURS BOARD GOING UP ,WITH' IRANIAN TERRORTORIAL WATERS 2007'WOT A JOKE.INSTEAD OF MARCHING ON GAY 'KIN PARADES, COURTESY OF ADML SEE THRU LONG JONS, LETS SEE SOME BALLS INSTEAD.

Well Pete, my old mate, it's certainly not the Navy that we joined. With regard to the British Ambassador to Malaya, he is only toeing the FCO party line, but is too scared to say what he really feels, which is a terrible shame.

One cannot help but wonder, when he attends the ceremony of the Anniversary of Merderka, as the official British representative, standing before the memorial to the fallen, whether those words, 'Independence was achieved without bloodshed', will stick in his throat. He will certainly live to regret it.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next