Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
New TV Series "Jungle Green Khaki Brown"
Post Snake Temple - Penang 
My good wife performing.....

Around 1963 or 1964.

This is taken from a slide that has gone 'pink' with the passing of time.

Post Snakes and islands. 
Hi Stan W, Lauri B, John Feltham and Chairman Jock.

Thank you for all the info and photos to jog my Tiger-foggy memories. Like Jock I am shocked by the (for want of a better word) urbanisation of places we saw as idylic gems when were lads. How lucky we were, in many respects.

From what I do remember the Snake Temple on Penang was certainy very free of concrete and an abiding memory is not so much of the snakes but a guy who sat outside on a charpoy. He had one arm raised and the nails of his clenched hand had grown through the flesh and poked out the back. I was told that he was a wandering guru of some kind.

Pulau Brani, thanks for the correct spelling Lauri, I paricularly enjoyed during my brief stay. I was put up by a bloke who had married quarters and, taking a beer one evening on the balcony, watched a flight of fighters do that spectacular bomb-burst thing. I even remember the song playing on the record player at the time....."Frauline." by Elvis I think. It must have been late 1958.

Jock, I'm gutted to hear that Batu Cantonment has been so desicrated. And Stan, that wee snake of yours was a monster, but what variety? I saw a few pit vipers but not of that length. Anyway, thanks lads.

MB.

PS. Forgot to mention Blakang Mati. One time when I was sketching I got the feeling of being watched and looked up to see a bunch of monkeys up in the trees watching me. They were quite big uns. I wonder if the island still has monkeys.

MIKE I'M SURE THERE ARE STILL MONKEY'S OUT THERE,SADLY THE SERPENTS ARE STILL WITH US, IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER Exclamation

Found this web site, http://mahaguru58.blogspot.com/2007/07/jungle-green-khaki-brown-get-your-copy.html this gives you more detail of the DVD

You asked does anyone know/ remember Lumut from the 1950s Yes I do . In 1959 I was with the Marine Police based at Glugor Penang, not far from the Snake temple. Part of my job was to visted places on the west coast where Police boats operated from and Lumut being one, I along with my wife would drive down from Penang.We through my 'work' , once went by Police motor launch down to Lumut and while in the location called in at Pankor, which then in 1959/60 was still an untouched tropical island. Seeing the photgraph of that snake . I've been looking for the pic I have of a 25ft Python, when I come across it I will post it.
May be not this thread . but on Monday 30th July at 9pm Empires Children (Malaya ) will be shown on Ch 4.
Thanks Roy

Reply to topic Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3