Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
KOSB Trip to Malaysia.
Post KOSB Trip to Malaysia. 
This article appeared in a local borders newspaper during the KOSB veterans trip to Malaysia.
I feel inclined to send it to the MOD/FCO/Cabinet Office but I suppose they will see it on this site.
In the words of the song 'the times they are a' changing'.

Good post McDangle...just think of these fine men when you get your opportunity to appear before the Scottish Parliament and they call for your testimony...

Post Selkirk Today 
This just extracted by 'Google Alert' from 'Selkirk Today'.
=======================================
Malayan medals are no more than valiant veterans deserve
Pilgrim

I have followed the progress of the KOSB Malayan Emergency Veterans as they made their long journey out to Malaya. The Malayan Emergency was a rather nasty affair caused in no small part by the earlier Japanese occupation that had allowed the communist element in Malaya to flourish.
Bankrolled and equipped by the allies, who hoped they would hamper the Japanese activities and thus divert them from their unhealthy aspirations to invade India, the communists played an active role in the struggle, although it was clear at the outset, their main priorities also included getting rid of the British as well.
In their largely-unsung campaign, the British and Commonwealth armies sought to flush out and eliminate the communists who were no pushover, having considerable support from the population, chiefly those of Chinese descent. Veterans and historians will argue at great length about the methods used and success of the Malayan Emergency campaign, but it has to be said one major plus was the political containment of the hostilities to an extent that prevented the episode from descending into a mess such as we saw in Korea and Vietnam.
This policy of containment seemed to work quite well as it was also used with similar success when the late and unlamented Bung Soekarno decided he wanted to create his own empire, which he optimistically called Maphilindo. His efforts proved to be unsuccessful, continuing until his generals got fed up and kicked him out of office.
The veterans will have been well received in Malaya; in my experience a country where hospitality and all round mateyness is a national trait, and it also seems there is a medal in the offing for those who've earned it. The Malaysians have struck the 'Pingat Jasa Malaysia' or Malayan Service Medal for those who helped them achieve their independence, and I might add, keep it against the odds.
My regimental association suggests I should also apply for this gong on the basis of active service in Sarawak, but with no promises of an all-expenses-paid trip out to Kuala Lumpur to collect it, I'll pass on that. You see, I'm not really the medals type, indeed, it took a stern talking to from the boss to make me show up in Edinburgh for my police long-service medal a number of years ago. My misgivings were well justified as the ceremony, while simple and not terribly cringesome, and followed by an excellent feast, was a poor substitute for something more rewarding like burying dead chickens.
I believe the Pingat Jasa Malaysia will be of considerable substance to its recipients, but accepting it will be a matter of personal choice for the individual. It might also lead to a clash with protocols operated by the government who discourage the wearing of medals other than those dished out by the Sovereign.
However, in this case, I have a strong feeling that her Maj. might not be too fussed about the whole thing, given she might currently be wracking her brains to find a way out of knighting a certain unpopular politician when his nominated successor finally manages to prise him out of No 10 Downing Street.
So, a word from another old sweat for the lads who get their Pingat Jasa Malaysia. If the nice Malaysians give you this medal, think back to the rain, mud, leeches and ambushes; the comradeship and shared hardship, the nights out on Bugis Street in Singapore, and steaming platefuls of Nasi Goreng. Then, if anyone tries to stop you from proudly wearing your gong, you might consider using one of a number of expressions much favoured by the military, all of which mean – go away!

Read of the week
What else could it be? To learn about the background of the Malayan Emergency and about jungle warfare, read 'The Jungle is Neutral' by Frederick Spencer Chapman; then to gain a lighter insight into the secret life of the squaddie, read 'The Virgin Soldiers' by Leslie Thomas, a racy tale written on the back of personal experience, but believe me, some of it brings back lurid memories of my youth.

20 October 2006

Post KOSB veteran contracts Legionnaires Disease 
From the Hawick Today web site at...

http://tinyurl.com/yb97v5

KOSB veteran contracts Legionnaires Disease

AN Army veteran is recovering in hospital after contracting Legionnaires Disease while on a reunion trip to Malaysia.

Tommy Douglas was among a 70-strong group of ex-servicemen, who have just returned from the Far East where they marked the 50th anniversary of their service in the country with the King's Own Scottish Borderers.

He was joined on the trip by three former comrades from Hawick Bill McColm, Viv Sharp and Jim Wallace.

It was towards the latter part of the trip when Tommy complained of feeling unwell, but it was a surprise to other party members when they discovered that Tommy had contracted Legionnaires Disease.

Speaking to the 'News' Bill McColm, 75, said: "The whole trip was an incredibly emotional experience.

"It was really strange returning to a place where so many people had lost their lives.

"It has all changed so dramatically, many of the swamps and jungles have been replaced by high rise buildings. But it was an important opportunity for us to pay our respects.

"It was towards the end of the trip when Tommy complained that he wasn't feeling too great but at the time, we just thought he may be tired from the trip."

Bill added: "When I learned that Tommy had contracted Legionnaires Disease I was shocked, apparently you can catch it from air conditioning or from shower rooms.

"I have been in constant contact with Tommy's family and he is making good progress."

A spokesman for the BGH said that Mr Douglas was "doing well" and will soon be released from the intensive care ward.

A number of the former KOSB soldiers were presented with specially struck medals - the Pingat Jasa (Malaysian Service Medal) - from the country's defence chief.

It is understood that these medals will be worn for the first time during formal parades at next month's Remembrance services.

A full report with photographs of the Malaysian pilgrimage will appear in next week's Hawick News.

Post Selkirk Today - Veterans are warned to be on their guard as 
Veterans are warned to be on their guard as disease strikes
Mark Entwistle

A HANDFUL of Selkirk army veterans were among those advised by health bosses to be on guard for the symptoms of Legionnaire's Disease, after returning home from a reunion trip to Malaysia.

The warning came after one ex-soldier from the 70-strong group, who hails from Hawick, was admitted for treatment for the disease to the Borders General Hospital. The outbreak has also seen two of the wives who accompanied their husbands – who all served with the King's Own Scottish Borderers – receive treatment in Singapore and Australia.

In total, 116 former solders and their wives travelled to the Far East where they marked the 50th anniversary of their service in the country with the KOSB.

A number of the former National Servicemen were also presented with a specially-struck medal by the country's government for their part in the Malayan Emergency campaign in the mid 1950s.

A spokesman for the BGH said earlier this week that Mr Douglas was "doing well" and will soon be released from intensive care to a ward.

Ex-KOSB officer, Donald Fairgrieve, of St Boswells, who was also on the tour, described the trip as "fantastic" and says it is a shame it has been overshadowed by the outbreak of the disease.

He told us: "It was a great trip. It is just very unfortunate that there was an outbreak of this disease. It can apparently be transmitted through air conditioning units and, of course, in a hot and humid country like Malaysia, there are air conditioning units everywhere.
"Added to that is the fact we stayed in a different hotel nearly every night. Our thoughts are now with our friends who are ill and hopefully they will be on the mend soon."

Those who were on the visit to Malaysia have now all been advised by the local health service to monitor themselves for any possible symptoms of the disease.

A total of 35 of the party were presented with the distinguished Pingat Jasa Malaysia – the Malaysian Service Medal – from the country's defence chief.

The medal has already been received by Australia and New Zealand, among others, with their forces at liberty to wear it on all occasions.

"We had an unbelieveable time – absolutely fantsastic," added Mr Fairgrieve. "We were very well looked after by the Royal Malaya Regiment, with warm welcomes from local people wherever we went.

"They even opened their jungle warfare training school for us to go round. Our hosts could not have done more for us or made us feel more welcome than they did."

Mr Fairgrieve says those who were presented with the medal fully intend wearing it on formal parades, such as those for next month's remembrance services – despite opposition from the British government.

27 October 2006

Post KOSB veteran contracts Legionnaires Disease 
From Borders Today 1 - 11 - 06

Veteran struck by disease
Mark Entwistle
A HAWICK army veteran is receiving treatment in the Borders General Hospital for Legionnaire's Disease contracted on a recent reunion trip to Malayasia.
Tom Douglas was one of a 70-strong group of ex-servicemen, who along with a number of wives, had just returned from the Far East where they marked the 50th anniversary of their service in the country with the King's Own Scottish Borderers.
A number of the former National servicemen were also presented with a specially-struck medal by the country's government for their part in the Malayan Emergency campaign in the mid-1950s.
However, this week came news that three of the party had come down with suspected Legionnaire's Disease.
As well as Mr Douglas, one of the wives in the party is receiving treatment in a Singapore hospital for the disease, while another is ill in Australia.
A BGH spokesman said yesterday that Mr Douglas was "doing well" and will soon be released from intensive care to a ward.
A third wife, who was being treated in a Midlothian hospital, has now been given the all-clear, according to former KOSB officer, Donald Fairgrieve, of St Boswells, who was one of the tour group.
Mr Fairgrieve described the trip as "fantastic" and says it is a shame it has been overshadowed by the outbreak of the disease.
"It was a great trip. It is just very unfortunate that there was an outbreak of this disease. It can apparently be transmitted through air conditioning units and, of course, in a hot and humid country like Malaysia, there are air conditioning units everywhere.
"Added to that is the fact we stayed in a different hotel nearly every night. Our thoughts are now with our friends who are ill and hopefully they will be on the mend soon."
Those who were on the visit to Malaysia have now all been advised by the local health service to monitor themselves for any possible symptoms of the disease.
A total of 116 ex-servicemen and their wives made the 15,000-mile round trip to the former stamping grounds of the KOSB and other British forces.
And 35 of the party were presented with the distinguished Pingat Jasa Malaysia, the Malaysian Service Medal – from the country's defence chief.
The medal has already been received by Australia and New Zealand, among others, with their forces at liberty to wear it on all occasions.
"We had an unbelievable time – absolutely fantastic," added Mr Fairgrieve. "We were very well looked after by the Royal Malaya Regiment, with warm welcomes from local people wherever we went.
"They even opened their jungle warfare training school for us to go round. Our hosts could not have done more for us or made us feel more welcome than they did."
Mr Fairgrieve says those who were presented with the medal fully intend wearing it on formal parades, such as those for next month's remembrance services – despite opposition from the British government.
01 November 2006

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1